PDA

View Full Version : Money Muscle

amecass66
07-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I recently competed in a small local contest and while my pork was very tender and moist, I think it may have been overdone. I could not trim the money muscle and have it stay together. Of course I may have been doing it wrong!!! Does anyone know of any videos demonstrating cutting money muscle on pork butt for competitions?

Pappy Q
07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
I recently competed in a small local contest and while my pork was very tender and moist, I think it may have been overdone. I could not trim the money muscle and have it stay together. Of course I may have been doing it wrong!!! Does anyone know of any videos demonstrating cutting money muscle on pork butt for competitions?

Sounds like it was overcooked. If you cook the money muscle much past 198 degrees, it will not slice.

Podge
07-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Sounds like it was overcooked. If you cook the money muscle much past 198 degrees, it will not slice.

I've sliced one at 210.. It took nerves of steel, hand like a surgeon, and some luck. not fun. Shouldn't have turned it in. It was probably turned into a dusty pork fart by the time the judges got to it.:wacko:

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
07-02-2012, 11:06 PM
I had the same problem this weekend at a comp. Made one cut with knife and the MM started to fall apart. Put the knife down and picked up my electric knife and it sliced it beautifully. To make a long story short my knife was not sharp enough. I placed second.

Sweet Breathe BBQ
07-03-2012, 10:36 AM
We didn't have luck with our MM this weekend either. Was slicing one, which was ok, but then hit a slice that had tough bark and it fell apart, went to slice the other one and teammate had turned it into pulled pork. Needless to say we turned in pulled and chunks only. ooops!