PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Out On This Matter Please!

Shiz-Nit
07-02-2012, 07:01 AM
I am in the market for a new smoker to be used for Comps, Catering and we may vend next year at a few car shows.

I currently have a Backwoods Compeditor, 22.5 WSM & a BGE. But I don't want to transport the BGE anymore.

We are also thowing the idea of an I closed trailer with a BBQ Porch on it to mount the smokers.

Smokers I am considering adding;
Backwoods - fatboy, extended party, gator
Pitmaker - vault, safe.... But some things have been said on temp spikes on these smokers.
Ole Hickory - CTO (either one)

A pellet cooker maybe nice but no one sells pellets locally

Or would a stick burner be right for me?

If you were me what smoker would you add? Or if one is not listed what would it be?

dmprantz
07-02-2012, 07:52 AM
First thing I would ask is why your BWS Competitor is not adequate. Do you need more capacity than that offers?

Personally I don't like CTO's, because they leave a distinctive flavour that I can detect and say "This tastes like catered BBQ cooked on a gas pit." I would buy an FEC100 or a gravity fed cooker for competition, backyard, or catering. Where in Kentucky are you, because I may have a pellet option if you go that route.

dmp

Shiz-Nit
07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
First thing I would ask is why your BWS Competitor is not adequate. Do you need more capacity than that offers?

Personally I don't like CTO's, because they leave a distinctive flavour that I can detect and say "This tastes like catered BBQ cooked on a gas pit." I would buy an FEC100 or a gravity fed cooker for competition, backyard, or catering. Where in Kentucky are you, because I may have a pellet option if you go that route.

dmp

As for the BW Comeditor goes it is great but I just need additional space at times for catering.
I am in Somerset Kentucky, what do you have in mind on the pellet thing?

We was looking at a Yoder Fronterisman and Meadow Creek stick burners for a while don't no so much about the babysitting time issue.

dmprantz
07-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I know of a place with good pellets, but it's still a two hour drive from you. If you really can't find pellets, I'd look at a gravity fed. Lots of brands out there, and I don't know enough to say that one truly is better than the rest. Lots of sizes too, so of course, get the one with the capacity that you need. Some are easier to clean than others, which if you compete or cater a lot, may be a concern.

dmp

early mornin' smokin'
07-02-2012, 08:13 AM
as far as vending goes, you need to check with you local board of health to see if you need a certified smoker. Personally i'd go with a FEC-100. All stainless and restaurant approved.

Goddahavit
07-02-2012, 08:15 AM
If your familiar with the competitor, why not add a second one?
Perhaps a piglet?

Fatboy is great, but if your running into capacity issues, the competitor takes the same footprint with much more space..

Ron_L
07-02-2012, 09:52 AM
If you're serious about a porch trailer than I would steer away from a stick burner. It would be hard to mount on the trailer. It can be done but takes a lot of room. Iowa Smokey D's has a Jambo enclosed model on their porch trailer.

LoneStar Smoke Rangers
07-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Large Spicewine is the way to go. Built like a tank and will cook a lot of meat.

landarc
07-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I have to agree with the idea of getting what you are already familiar with, both for competition and vending purposes. Fewer surprised means easier cooks.

crd26a
07-03-2012, 09:07 AM
I'd go gravity feed. To me they are the easiest to control and you can get them in multiple sizes for what you need and would install easily on a trailer porch. Depending on size, you can get 15 or more hours of burn on a load of briquettes. Stumps, Superior, DW Cookers or check with Jeff of Assassins (he makes both the Superior and DW Cookers, will prob do any size you can request).

djqualls
07-03-2012, 09:23 AM
I'd go with a FEC 100 or 125. Pellets aren't that hard to get and are an affordable option when condisering the versatility that a FEC can do. (i.e. from Cornbread to Prime Rib, to Cobbler). Less time watching the smoker, Good Even Cooking at large volume etc...

Buy Pellets in Bulk and its better than lugging around wood and dealing with that issue.

Just my two cents.....

Libertarian
07-11-2012, 06:56 PM
I'd go gravity feed. To me they are the easiest to control and you can get them in multiple sizes for what you need and would install easily on a trailer porch. Depending on size, you can get 15 or more hours of burn on a load of briquettes. Stumps, Superior, DW Cookers or check with Jeff of Assassins (he makes both the Superior and DW Cookers, will prob do any size you can request).

I have an Assassin on order but admit I am intrigued by the DW Cookers. Does Jeff actually make those? Jeff is a helluva nice guy and the Assassin looks like a mean machine.

Smoke'n Ice
07-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Vending is the key. Most HD require stainless and a lot of venues require ul. Pellets can be purchased in bulk direct from the manufacturer by the pallet and the price goes way down. You can also share with others in the area or just make a road trip and pick them up yourself.Don't overlook these items in your decision process or it could limit your options for catering and vending.

jbrink01
07-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I have 2 porch trailers. One is HD compliant, 20'L and sports an FEC500 (buy pellets from Fast Eddie or a number of other sources by the skid shipped to us). My comp trailer is 27'L and has a Rebel 28, FEC100 and FEPG500 on it. The front is living quarters. Vending rig would cost about $38k to duplicate, contest rig about $33k. Only change might be to a bigger Rebel on the contest rig.

Just Smokin' Around
07-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I like the product a stick burner puts out, but, for vending and catering, it's the last type of cooker you want. You need to set it, fill it up and let it run on auto pilot while you're doing other things. Can't do that if you have to tend to a fire all the time. The BW can burn for a long time on one load of charcoal or, go gravity fed or pellets. The comments about being NSF approved is important depending on what type of vending/catering you plan on doing. If its a ~10 times a year with one day permits cooking on site, then you have wide options in most states. If cooked on site, you can probably use a number of cookers If it's a full catering license for a year, you'll need the NSF products like the FEC. They'll want damn near a commercial kitchen setup. Talk to your local health dept about your options.