PDA

View Full Version : Left the beer in the cooler this weekend

smokincracker
10-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Left the beer in the cooler this weekend

In Mulberry this weekend I decided to go with out my usual liquid nervous medicine Beer or Vodka w-lime. I have to say the results were enlightening! I was able to get about 2 hrs sleep sometime between 2:00 & 4:00 AM and started the day on Saturday with a pretty good attitude and the drive home was a lot easier. Alcohol will be a thing of the past I think

The product came out of the Spice Box as expected and we had no real misfires all morning. The chicken looked OK and I was not satisfied with the turn-in box but we ran out of time so I did not expect the 9th place we got. The ribs were crap (shiners) before we started but the box looked good and we managed to squeeze a 15th out of them. The pork was awesome we got all 10s on appearance except for one judge that Id like to kill who gave it an 8 all the way down. Tenderness 2-10s and 3-9.5s and you guessed it the same ding-dong gave me an 8. Taste was the same story. Two of the judges gave us straight 10s. Never the less we ended up 9th on pork as well. Tried a new thing on Brisket I cooked Angus flats and it work out just fine with another 9th place on the Brisket. The contest was run well and the venue was OK. We had some power issues as always but they got it fixed right away.

Grand and 10th place was separated by about 15 pts and 8th thru 10th was separated by 8/10ths of a point. Lots of good teams!!! I will go back next year.

Sorry! I guess I ran on but the moral to the story is I cook better sober!

Next contest for us is Minneola, FL the 28th-29th

parrothead
10-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Good showing!

spicewine
10-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Great Job Jimmy!! Don't be so fast to give up on the drinking!!!! :twisted:

Trout_man22
10-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Congrats

icemn62
10-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Congrats and good showing. You will still use the beer when you are cooking in the backyard at least, won't you?

Chick'n Pig BBQ
10-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Great showing keep up the good work.

Jeff_in_KC
10-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Congrats, Jimmy! I was glad I laid off the booze most of the time (completely after 8:30 pm Friday night) but as it turned out, it didn't help!

Solidkick
10-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm glad you had a great weekend! Proud of ya!

chad
10-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Congrats! :grin:

I'd commented to Tim that you looked a lot better Saturday afternoon than when we left you in Dillard! Of course, at Dillard you were coordinating with the family, too. To quote Jason Bourne "rest is a weapon, too". :razz:

All I have to say about judging is: my table was pretty consistent. All the pro division judges were certified. And, even in backyard all were trained - one was getting her first contest for certification. :razz: