PDA

View Full Version : Turn-in Box Video

motoeric
06-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know of a basics of turn-in boxes video?

We have a number of new competitors for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren and I'd like to point them in the right direction.

Thanks!

Eric

MilitantSquatter
06-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Competition Box Pred by Carolina Pitmasters BBQ School - YouTube

Sledneck
06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Why not have a live demo contest weekend

motoeric
06-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Why not have a live demo contest weekend

That would be great, but I suck at turn-in boxes so I'm out. Would you mind heading up the demo?

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
07-01-2012, 12:45 AM
I'll do it.

motoeric
07-01-2012, 01:38 AM
That would be great. Thanks.

Please do me a favor and pm me what times work for you. I'm thinking Saturday evening for all new teams?

Eric

Sledneck
07-01-2012, 10:28 AM
That would be great, but I suck at turn-in boxes so I'm out. Would you mind heading up the demo?

Eric

Gladly , side will do his lettuce boxes , i the parsley

MattCom
07-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Have them earn their stripes like the rest of us have... and just figure it out.

motoeric
07-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Have them earn their stripes like the rest of us have... and just figure it out.

Actually, I think that's the Brethren's new motto. "Screw 'em. Let them figure it out on their own."

Very prescient.

Eric

MilitantSquatter
07-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Actually, I think that's the Brethren's new motto. "Screw 'em. Let them figure it out on their own."

Very prescient.

Eric

For Cue's Your Daddy

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prescience

pre·science

noun
\ˈpre-sh(ē-)ən(t)s, ˈprē-, -s(ē-)ən(t)s\

Definition of PRESCIENCE

: foreknowledge of events: a : divine omniscience b : human anticipation of the course of events : foresight (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/foresight)

— pre·scient adjective
— pre·scient·ly adverb

http://www.merriam-webster.com/styles/default/images/reference/external.jpg See prescience defined for English-language learners » (http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/prescience)

See prescience defined for kids » (http://www.wordcentral.com/cgi-bin/student?book=Student&va=prescience)

Examples of PRESCIENCE

He predicted their response with amazing prescience.
Her prescience as an investor is impressive.

Origin of PRESCIENCE

Middle English, from Late Latin praescientia, from Latin praescient-, praesciens, present participle of praescire to know beforehand, from prae- + scire to know — more at science (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/science)First Known Use: 14th century

Related to PRESCIENCE

Synonyms: foreknowledge (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/foreknowledge), foresight (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/foresight)
Antonyms: improvidence (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/improvidence), myopia (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myopia), shortsightedness (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shortsightedness)

Cue's Your Daddy
07-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Vinny predicted I would not know the meaning with amazing prescience, and I am showing effusive thanks.

MilitantSquatter
07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Vinny predicted I would not know the meaning with amazing prescience, and I am showing effusive thanks.

Paul - quick stat

Prior to this thread, and Eric's recent usage of "effusive", the word appeared only one other time in forum history by another member

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1021173&postcount=13

Cue's Your Daddy
07-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Love that you researched that... and did that shock you.

MilitantSquatter
07-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Love that you researched that... and did that shock you.

It was so shocking, that I was unable to find another word that was SAT worthy enough to describe it. :becky:

Podge
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM

I kinda have mixed feelings about this comment. I do no totally disagree with you though. Here's my issues about helping fellow BBQ competitors:

1 - If I paid $500 at a cooking class, and picked up a tip I use (or even tips I don not use) I do not tell anyone else. It is not fair to me, who's spent upwards on close to $1,000 to take this class, and it's not fair to the teachers of that class. I hate that with a passion when someone on any forum says " I learned this and that from so and so's class".. :mmph:.. It's BS and not fair to anyone.

2 - If it is something I came up with on my own, it is my choice to decide how and what I tell and who I tell it to. If I want to share what I've come up with to the world, I post it here.

3 - If someone asks me specifically, I e-mail them privately. I won't lie to anybody, but I may or may not tell them everything.

4 - I'd rather help someone out while I'm at a contest. I recently volunteered to be a mentor to a backyarder at his first contest. He was G.C. in the back yard division. It was gratifying to see him win, but the dude was a heck of a cook to begin with.. I just helped him enough to learn the game.

MattCom
07-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Very prescient.

Eric
Yes that is exactly what I wrote. Thanks for clarifying my statement in a cheap attempt to beguile the other readers.:clap:

early mornin' smokin'
07-02-2012, 11:14 AM
clint's coming up? Eric, you can tell teams to stop by our site on saturday. We'll show them whatever we can, but we're no all stars.

MattCom
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I kinda have mixed feelings about this comment. I do no totally disagree with you though. Here's my issues about helping fellow BBQ competitors:

1 - If I paid $500 at a cooking class, and picked up a tip I use (or even tips I don not use) I do not tell anyone else. It is not fair to me, who's spent upwards on close to $1,000 to take this class, and it's not fair to the teachers of that class. I hate that with a passion when someone on any forum says " I learned this and that from so and so's class".. :mmph:.. It's BS and not fair to anyone.

2 - If it is something I came up with on my own, it is my choice to decide how and what I tell and who I tell it to. If I want to share what I've come up with to the world, I post it here.

3 - If someone asks me specifically, I e-mail them privately. I won't lie to anybody, but I may or may not tell them everything.

4 - I'd rather help someone out while I'm at a contest. I recently volunteered to be a mentor to a backyarder at his first contest. He was G.C. in the back yard division. It was gratifying to see him win, but the dude was a heck of a cook to begin with.. I just helped him enough to learn the game.

I agree with you, we are not talking cooking, technique, or even lending another team some supplies. This is about how to build a turn in box. There are thousand of photos of competition boxes. If from looking at those, you can't figure it out... I guess a paint by number approach is needed. What we do lose is creativity and the ability to develop problem solving skills.
my 2.

Podge
07-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I agree with you, we are not talking cooking, technique, or even lending another team some supplies. This is about how to build a turn in box. There are thousand of photos of competition boxes. If from looking at those, you can't figure it out... I guess a paint by number approach is needed. What we do lose is creativity and the ability to develop problem solving skills.
my 2¢.

I believe that presentation/box building skills are the 5th catagory. Therefore, I feel this is also part of a team's secret. I agree with you thought, there are tons of box photos out there to get ideas from, and it still takes a bit of artwork to pull it off.

102.852 total presenation points out of 720 total points. Pretty important.

Smokin J
07-02-2012, 11:38 AM
What ever happened to trial and error......or just doing your homework. It took us years to develope the techniques we use. I'm all about helping fellow competitors out, but they are my COMPETITORS! You need to borrow a basting brush or some apple juice, you got it. You want to see how I make my boxes....take a hike!

Sledneck
07-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I got nothing to hide. Were aren't curing cancer here, it's BBQ. You guys are to funny, thanks for the laughs today.

Podge
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
At $800 per contest, and taking off from work that I need to make up for, etc, etc, etc, it's more than just cooking BBQ for me. I can cook BBQ crap at home and spend that money elsewhere.

scm1226
07-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Hey if anyone wants to know something that I can pass on, great. I don't have ton to share but I do offer if someone is new. Yes we are competing and yes we want to win, but I don't know about you guys I want to have fun. To be honest tell them to check out the pickle pig box forum, that's how we started, would I love to know the Harry soo method, yes. But I don't and it takes me 45or so minutes per box.
Tell them everything you know, they aren't going to win if they didn't have something else going on.

early mornin' smokin'
07-02-2012, 04:55 PM
The first comp I did was a brethren one, 4 years ago at the battle of the BBQ brethren in sayville. One of the guys from another team, I can't remember who, literally came and hands on showed us exactly how to build a bed of parsley. It's bbq, and it's a competition. But we're all there together and hiding simple things like building a box from another competitor...to me, just isn't right. Someone taught us, and I'd gladly teach anyone that asked. Cooking lessons, certain techniques. I'll give all the advice I can, where's the brethren spirit???

boogiesnap
07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
sled personally demonstrated a parsley box build after simply walking by at my first comp and saw us struggle. i use that method still.

other's helped in other ways.

i'll pay those favors forward forever.

WineMaster
07-02-2012, 06:21 PM
The objective is to have all boxes look alike and taste like blues hog. :clap:

Podge
07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
The objective is to have all boxes look alike and taste like blues hog. :clap:

you forgot to add to cross your fingers !

gooose53
07-02-2012, 09:08 PM
If I've paid money to learn something I'm not sharing....if it's something I've picked up I'll share if asked. If I'm not competing or competing and I see a friend having trouble I'll offer help if they want it. If you don't know me then you'll likely not ask me for help....

Contracted Cookers
07-02-2012, 09:21 PM
give some take some I think we have all been there

Smokenstein & monster crew
07-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Im still figuring this out..............on my own :grin:

Muzzlebrake
07-03-2012, 09:18 PM
But we're all there together and hiding simple things like building a box from another competitor...to me, just isn't right. Someone taught us, and I'd gladly teach anyone that asked.

If its that simple why the need for a demo then?

Yes someone did teach all of us and while I understand your idea of passing on that knowledge, I kind of agree with the comments about the importance of presentation and the fine line between helping a new team and abetting a fellow competitor.

boogiesnap
07-03-2012, 10:02 PM
i'll tell anybody, anytime what i do and use(except anything i learned in class, that's just not fair to share openly).

if you're a top team, it prolly doesn't matter to you.

if you're a newbie team, it'll prolly take quite a while for you to gain the skill and experience to win, regardless of if you do what i do or not. and if you do win, you just cooked damn better.

either way, it's all BBQ, all good.

Sledneck
07-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I doubt me doing a little turn in box Demo will change the outcome of the contest. I will say now thats it seems to bother some im starting to really look forward to it:-D

Muzzlebrake
07-03-2012, 10:49 PM
I will say now thats it seems to bother some im starting to really look forward to it:-D

well that goes without saying:becky:

MilitantSquatter
07-04-2012, 08:44 AM
I doubt me doing a little turn in box Demo will change the outcome of the contest. I will say now thats it seems to bother some im starting to really look forward to it:-D

especially if the demonstrator is not also competing, I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this....

BBQchef33
07-06-2012, 11:20 PM

And I would be willing to video tape it and post it on our flash screen. If it wasnt for folks like Jim Minion, Ray Lampe, Adam Perry Lang, and countless members that joined this forum when it first started, I would not have finished my first season with 6 out of 6 top 4 finishes and still be competing 8 years later. These folks shared their knowledge and helped me get thru totally unchartered territory( and thats what this place was built on form the very beginning). I see nothing wrong with being willing to share knowledge, whether it be making fatties in the backyard, or prepping a brisket at the American Royal, IMO, is all part of BBQ. Im not saying to give away all our top secrets, but teaching how to build a box? or trim a brisket?... cmon, thats not a secret, and if it gets a new team thru some frustration, then good for them.... and us :)

BBQchef33
07-06-2012, 11:31 PM
especially if the demonstrator is not also competing, I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this....

Even if a season team, who IS competing decided to do a demno for the new teams, i would have no problem with that. 1- its their decision, and 2, where could there be a problem? would some teams be threatened by a new team learning how to build a box from Rod Grey, or I-Que, or any top competitor. If they are, then they need to step up their game.