PDA

View Full Version : Royal Results

Ron_L
09-30-2005, 07:53 PM
I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, so I created my own!:-D

The Invitational results are slowly coming in. According to the BBQ Forum, Grand Champion is Great Grills of Fire and Reserve is Lotta Bull.

spicewine
09-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Great Grills of Fire is a Fellow MOFO!! I hope this is true!!

Ron_L
09-30-2005, 09:52 PM
More complete results... Take a look at 5th place in ribs...

Grand Champion: $10,000 and Kingfisher cooker Great Grills O Fire
Reserve: $6,500 Lotta Bull BBQ
2nd reserve $4,000 Grillin Granny

Chicken:
1st Great Grills O Fire
2nd Lotta Bull BBQ
3rd Smokin Mother Ruckers
4th Parrothead Smokers
5th Cookin with Attitude

Ribs
1st Buttrub.com
2nd Great Grills O Fire
3rd Parrothead Smokers
4th It Aint Prime
5th Smokin Poobahs

Pork
1st Daisy May's BBQ
2nd Smokin Triggers
3rd Smokin Clones
4th Pyros
5th Buttrub.Com

Brisket
1st Feeding Frenzy BBQ
2nd Big Daddys Grill
3rd Boys from Tornado Ally
4th Smokin Elvises
5th Sedalia Master Basters

BBQchef33
09-30-2005, 10:10 PM
And 3 & 4 in chicken and ribs.

Neil
09-30-2005, 10:12 PM
More complete results... Take a look at 5th place in ribs...

Grand Champion: $10,000 and Kingfisher cooker Great Grills O Fire
Reserve: $6,500 Lotta Bull BBQ
2nd reserve $4,000 Grillin Granny

Chicken:
1st Great Grills O Fire
2nd Lotta Bull BBQ
3rd Smokin Mother Ruckers
4th Parrothead Smokers
5th Cookin with Attitude

Ribs
1st Buttrub.com
2nd Great Grills O Fire
3rd Parrothead Smokers
4th It Aint Prime
5th Smokin Poobahs

Pork
1st Daisy May's BBQ
2nd Smokin Triggers
3rd Smokin Clones
4th Pyros
5th Buttrub.Com

Brisket
1st Feeding Frenzy BBQ
2nd Big Daddys Grill
3rd Boys from Tornado Ally
4th Smokin Elvises
5th Sedalia Master Basters

what about the team name that finished 4th in chicken and 3rd in ribs? I guess Greg wasn't able to copyright the name.

chad
10-01-2005, 05:48 AM
A little ole FL boy named Byron took 1st in ribs and 5th in pork - buttrub.com!

icemn62
10-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Good luck to the brothers cookin in the open event, according to the calendar that is today. If that is true, somebody go down and make Jeff relax.

BBQchef33
10-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Just spoke to Jeff. He sounds fine. They had a panic attack when briskets hung for 4 hours. Both are moving now 170 and 175 at 8:30. They're in WSM's sot they'll be fine. Butts are near done and chk and ribs are in. He actually sounded relaxed and talked to me longer than i'd talk to anyone at 8:30am on a turnin day.

First question I asked him.. "So Jeff, Did u Implode yet"? :twisted: :mrgreen:

Solidkick
10-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Congrats to Mark of Great Grills of Fire.......boy's from Jefferson City. He's also a member of our local Beta Beta Que BBQ association. He doesn't believe in using water in the smoker, and cooks his chicken in a trash can. Boy must know what he's doing..........Again Congrats!!!

Ron_L
10-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Partial results from the AM Open... Lotta Bull and Parrothead Smokers had a great weekend!

Vegetable
1. Bocce' n BBQ Boys
2. QSS Smokin
3. MOuntain Valley Spring
4. Long Hollow Cooking Crew
5. Pork Tenders

Beans
1. Sausage Fest BBQ
2. Hawgeyes Vincents BBQ
3. Hot Meat Smokers
4. Just Q'n around
5. Rock Chalk Jayhawk BBQ

Potatoes
1. Swine Flew
2. Hot Meat Smokers
3. Texas Rib Rangers
4. Rock Chalk Jayhawk BBQ
5. Munchin Hogs at the Hilt

Sauce
1. 4 LEG Up BBQ & Catering
2. Fat N Fun aka Smokin Jack
3. Hottchi Cootchi BBQ
4. Overland Trail BBQ
5. J & B and Birdy BBQ

Sausage
1. Brew N Bar B Que
2. Smokin R's
3. Bayer Smoke Masters
4. Flamin Yawn's
5. Oink Moo & **** a Doodle doo

Chicken
1. Big Island BBQ
2. Rub it till is Smokes
3. Parrothead Smokers
4. Sweet Chipolte BBQ
5. Q
6. Smokers Wild
7. Lotta Bull BBQ
8. Jiggy Piggy
9. Mountain Vally Spring
10. Fat Guys BBQ Sauce

Ribs
1. Smoke N Things
2. OVer the Fence BBQ
3. Last Supper
4. Four men and a Pig
5. Big Bob Gibson BBQ
6. Boys from Tornado Alley
7. Too Hot to Handle
8. Fat Guys BBQ
9. Music City Pig Pals
10. Rock Chalk Jayhawk BBQ

Pork
1. Hillbilly BBq
2. Bubbas Top Secret
3. Carcass Cookers (Co)
4. Woody's Smoke Shack
5. Iron Stomachs
6. Rib Stars
7. Lotta Bull BBQ
8. Big Daddys Grill
9. Dead serious Cookers 2
10. Sausage Fest BBQ

Brisket
1. Brewing & Queing
2. Ribs 4 U
3. Meat Mitch
4. Parrothead Smokers
5. Blazing Tongs
6. Bad to the Bone Too
7. Boys from Tornado Alley
8. Motlye Que Crew
9. Pit Crew BBQ
10. Squeal of Approval Overall

Top 3 Finishers
1. Lotta Bull BBQ 686.2856--Grand Champion
2. Boys from Tornado Ally 681.7142--Reserve Grand champion
3. Parrothead Smokers 676.5714--Honerable Mention

Solidkick
10-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Parrothead Smokers have had a great year........his team, Great Grills O Fire, and Rod (Pellet Envy) were all slated to be at Herman last weekend, but withdrew.....wouldn't it have been great to have possibly gotten to judge one of their turn ins?

BBQchef33
10-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Brisket
1. Brewing & Queing
2. Ribs 4 U
3. Meat Mitch
4. Parrothead Smokers
5. Blazing Tongs
6. Bad to the Bone Too
7. Boys from Tornado Alley
8. Motlye Que Crew
9. Pit Crew BBQ
10. Squeal of Approval Overall
1. Lotta Bull BBQ 686.2856
2. Boys from Tornado Ally 681.7142
3. Parrothead Smokers 676.5714 Whats the second set of 1,2,3 at the end of brisket? Ties maybe??

Solidkick
10-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Whats the second set of 1,2,3 at the end of brisket? Ties maybe??

Ill fix it, it's GC, RG, 2nd RG.........

kcpellethead
10-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Kick,

You can sample my stuff any time, any where. Sorry to pull out of Hermann. I just couldn't get it to work out that weekend. It all turned out okay though, we managed to drag the Geer down to Wichita and sneak in a GC.

Bigdog
10-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Kick,

You can sample my stuff any time, any where. Sorry to pull out of Hermann. I just couldn't get it to work out that weekend. It all turned out okay though, we managed to drag the Geer down to Wichita and sneak in a GC.
Good job Rod. What contest was that?

Ron_L
10-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Ill fix it, it's GC, RG, 2nd RG.........

Oops... Cut and paste error! Sorry. I was out with my daughter while she practices driving :shock:

Thanks for the assist, Kick!

kcpellethead
10-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Bigdog,

It was a small event in Park City that was actually held in the campground to the east of the arena.

Jeff_in_KC
10-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Good afternoon, fellas! All I can say is WOW! What an experience! I'm so tired still after sleeping for eleven hours that I feel like mush. Been sitting back watching football and not even thinking about unloading.

Anyway, the American Royal was awesome! Not sure if ya'all wanna read this but I'm gonna tell ya anyway...

I got there FINALLY around 3:30 pm Thursday and set up by myself. It was a ton of work but I got most all of it done and organized by 9pm or so, including the 10x20 canopy (never heard a peep from the KCFD about a thing). Wayne dropped by around that time and had 2-3 homebrews with me. After he went back up to his site, I finished up some additional work, grabbed a beer and headed to the next ZIP code to find Wayne's site. I found him next to his site with the Squeal of Approval gals who are awesome BTW. We had a few additional beers (Squeal has Boulevard Brewing Company as a sponsor). I slept in my car with the sounds of trains all damned night (our site was next to the tracks in the bottoms by the old stockyards... tons of trains come through there). When I'd opened my tent, I found the tension rods had dry rotted the cords and were in pieces so no tent. I tossed it!

Friday morning, another guy I know (not from here) called my cell and said breakfast would be ready by the time I could get to his site (also in the next ZIP code!). I hoofed it up there and got myself a couple of plates of biscuits and fresh homemade sausage gravy, fried eggs and juice. Came back and got my meat inspected and the work was on! BTW... still no team mates! My wife had to work until noon and my other teammate is a real estate agent and had a couple of things come up. My wife arrived at 1:30 and Hank around 3pm I believe. I already had all the competition meat rubbed and back in coolers and the ribs and pork loin in smoke for dinner. We cranked out dinner of pork loin (just went simple... cut a slit in several places and stuffed in pieces of jalapeno peppers and garlic and rubbed with a pork rub and cooked indirect in the Webber kellte), St. Louis spares, hot wings, regular smoked wings, grilled chicken breast, baked beans, oriental style broccoli slaw, chips, salsa, veggie tray with dip, brownies and homemade chocolate chip cookies. We ended up having about 19 people for dinner if I count right (my mom's co-worker came with her and said she will talk to her husband but that she wants me to cater her 50th birthday party in February!). Hank and I excused ourselves from the visiting about 8pm to get working. We let everyone else talk while we got fires started and ccranked up briskets and butts. After around 11pm, everyone had left. We closed the front of our canopy (sides already closed and my wife slept on our queen sized inflateable air mattress while Hank and I worked. Hank went to sleep around 1:30am and I kept a watch on things while he got some shut eye for about 2 hours. Finally with both of us up and me on my third wind, I decided to grab a bit of sleep around 4:30 but couldn't sleep. I got around 45 minutes of sleep before getting up at 6am to start the rib coals and fire up the BSKD. By now, as Phil said in his post, I was panicking... the brisket was STUCK at 152* and had been since before 2AM!! Phil helped me stay focused and I felt a lot better after his advice. While I was talking to him, the brisket got UNstuck and moved about 4 degrees in 20 or so minutes. Good deal.

Anyway, we nailed the turn ins... surprisingly, I didn't feel stressed too much at all until we started working on brisket. I was prepared for crunch time mentally (not physically with a lack of sleep). I knew what to expect and was actually probably a bit too early on two of our five turn-ins. I even had time to sit down and relax for about five minutes once. I over-estimated the time it was going to take my wife to get to the turn in table. It was only about five minutes even with the crowds. We'd walked in before and came up with seven minutes and added 2-3 minutes for the crowd, which wasn't there like we expected. As I started to cut the brisket, I got REALLY dizzy and started to feel my knees go weak. I leaned onto the table and my wife grabbed a bottle of water and poured it down my throat and I got my senses about me, regrouped and focused to finish out the work. I could not believe my brisket... of all places to reach out and touch brisket nirvana - the Royal! I was stoked over the tenderness and flavor. The ONLY problem was the smoke ring was only about an eighth inch think. I was worried about harsh flavor from lots of wood like I got last weekend from my first brisket in the WSM so I cut back a bit on wood and wish I hadn't! Didn't look like I wanted it too but our presentation I thought was great! Finished up with the sausage category - turned in a regular fatty stuffed with finely chopped jalapenos (minus veins and seed) and tiny pieces of cheddar cheese and rolled in Jay's Hen 'n Hog Dust. Got the idea from Wayne) We all thought they rocked but apparently the judges didn't. No dice there either and I thought that would be my best chance.

We got everything loaded down just before the rain hit. Pulled under the viaduct to keep dry and went to the awards ceremony and sat with the Meatheads and Squeal of Approval and near where Rod was sitting. Hey, at least I knew some of the winners (Rod and Squeal) so I felt honored and in the company of greatness!

Overall, I don't yet know where we stand but I am pleased. Family and friends really enjoyed my food and homebrew, we pulled the BEST fatty, ribs and brisket I've EVER cooked. My teammates thought our chicken was awesome (I think they just didn't look great), I believe I got a catering job, met four Brethren I'd not met before (Rod, Rich, Jim and Ray), watched a few Brethren walk (Rod and Ulcer Acres) and I learned a LOT (one of which is don't take everything except the kitchen sink! I'll pare down a bunch for small contests!). I changed my mind... I think I'd do the Royal all over again even though there were a few downfalls such as---

1. My pork I was not happy with;
2. After 6pm or so on Friday, NO more water trucks;
3. My site location was practically on the train tracks;
4. They refused to enforce quiet hours at 1pm even though I complained to no less than 8 police officers and four American Royal reps, the live band near us kept playing until 1:30. Finally, I got rude with them and said it wasn't fair to those trying to take their sleep shift and also not fair to us who were awake so those sleeping could relieve us later. After I used that and the money I spent on this thing, it was about five minutes before they went inside to shut the band down.

It was a lot of fun, met great people, enjoyed our guests and you all helped get me ready... thanks for all that and especially to Poobah for helping keep my focused and even keeled in the face of a potential disaster!

Onward to DeSoto Kill Creek Farm in two weeks! Wayne, like i said... since you got RGC there last year, I'll take that and let the Meatheads get GC this year! :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
10-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah I forgot... since my laptop and external hard drive for photos is locked away at work for the weekend (didn't wanna drag it to the Royal), I don't have the capability to download my photos to my home computer (software doesn't seem to work right) so I'll post photos including our turn in boxes tomorrow sometime.

icemn62
10-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Well, seems somebody has been biten by the comp bug, and they LIKED it. Glad you enjoyed yourself, and had a safe and fun time. Now get everything ready for your next competition and get on the road.

The_Kapn
10-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Sounds like you had a good time.

Thanks for the report.

TIM

chad
10-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Good report.

Glad you didn't lock the keys in the truck!

Onward to DeSoto.

Jeff_in_KC
10-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Good report.

Glad you didn't lock the keys in the truck!

Onward to DeSoto.

Actually, at one point Friday morning, I came THIS close to doing just that! Would have been a nightmare!

Ron_L
10-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the report, Jeff. I'm glad that you were please with most of your food! It sounds like you learned a lot, and that's the real important thing! You'll do better next time, I'm sure!

VitaminQ
10-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Great report, Jeff! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Makes me want to see what this comp thing is all about!

spicewine
10-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Ron : We were close enough to Knock Heads at the Boone County Contest!! But we didn't get a chance to meet!! And have a few Laughs!!

I look forward to spending some time with you on the BBQ Trail!!

2006---- We will meet again!!

Spice

Arlin_MacRae
10-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Good on ya, Jeff! Grats for surviving and thanks for the write-up!

Arlin

Trout_man22
10-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the report and glad you had some fun

parrothead
10-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Nice report. Glad you had a good time.

MoKanMeathead
10-03-2005, 10:22 AM
The results for the Royal are posted!! The Meatheads finished right where we have been cooking for the last several contests - middle of the Pack.

Overall - 283
Pork - 114th
Chicken - 285
Ribs - 345
Brisket - 331

Very disapointing for us - we thought our stuff was better than that - except for brisket, which wasn't good.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
10-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the report.Glad you had a good time

MoKanMeathead
10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Hey Skip - sorry I missed you at the Royal. Ron told me you stopped by. We ran out of Japs for the ABTs and still had some filling left so I walked up to Price Chopper to get some more. Has to get some lettuce and parsley also - of course someone put it in the beer cooler and Friday night someone "moved it" to get a beer and it sat out all night. Kind'a limp. Had to get more on Saturday am.

Jeff_in_KC
10-03-2005, 12:21 PM
I am a little disappointed myself...

Overall - 400
Pork - 331
Chicken - 408
Ribs - 420
Brisket - 283
Sausage - 150

Judge's individual opinions definitely come into play. Exhibit 1 - Our ribs. We received a 36 and a 32 from two judges, low 20's on two others and farkin' 18 and SIXTEEN from two others! How the heck can they be perfect to one, close to perfect to another and horrible to two others?

We didn't beat any Brethren teams but we did beat my wife's co-worker's team in three of the five categories we entered and they've been doing this for over ten years! They got us on overall by 20 places just because they scored over 200 places higher than us in chicken.

We're finishing in the top 100 next year by God!

Chick'n Pig BBQ
10-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Jeff, sorry I did not get to see you on Friday. I ran out of time and I had to get back home for my sons baseball game.
The Royal was a little intimidating to me. It was so large and spread out. But I am glad I scoped out the invitational for next year. Just keep on cooking and try to judge a couple of contest it really does help!!

Chick'n Pig BBQ
10-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Wayne sorry I missed you also. I only got to spend 1 and 1/2hrs at

Jeff_in_KC
10-03-2005, 12:58 PM
I understand Skip. Kid's games come first!

Yeah, I'm going to get certified as a KCBS judge in January then try to judge a contest before I enter my first contest of 2006.

Jeff_in_KC
10-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Well, I WAS gonna post photos but can't seem to find the link on the gallery to add a photo album.

voodoobbqIL
10-03-2005, 02:00 PM
the results are up on the royal website http://www.americanroyal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=280

Jeff_in_KC
10-03-2005, 02:08 PM
the results are up on the royal website http://www.americanroyal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=280

Howdy, VooDoo! Glad you guys found the site... which one of the guys are you? Did you have a safe trip back home? Head over to the Cattle Call and introduce yourself! You guys smoked (literally) us! It was great being neighbors for the weekend!

voodoobbqIL
10-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey Jeff,

Don't be disappointed, tough surroundings and I knwo we learned a lot form the experience. Rest up and good luck on the DeSoto event!

K

voodoobbqIL
10-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey Jeff it's Kevin the tall philospher (Smokecrates)....thanks for gettting us hooked on this I think it will be a great thing for our team!

Jeff_in_KC
10-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Hey Jeff it's Kevin the tall philospher (Smokecrates)....thanks for gettting us hooked on this I think it will be a great thing for our team!

Absolutely it will! Great ideas, great guys and a lot of competition experience to draw from. You guys finished 265th so you don't need as much help as I do! :smile: Maybe I need to make a trashcan smoker too! Those were awesome you guys had. Don't know how you got any work done with all the folks stopping by to admire them! And Little Ed (wasn't that the name?) is a cool piece of equipment!

voodoobbqIL
10-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey Jeff,

Yes "Lil Ed", here is the readers digest version. My Wife's Stepmom's Father is a blacksmith they call him Big Ed. I designed the cooker and he and I fabricated it I jsut thought the name Lil Ed was a great tag and it has stuck. He will undergo a redesign this winter but the some of the conceptual engineering will remain.

AS for the trash cans...can't beat em for the money, they generate a lot of interest. No one would ever talk to us if we didn't have a conversation piece like them

K

Jeff_in_KC
10-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Here's a link to the photos for the Royal... comments on the turn-in boxes welcomed and appreciated! :grin:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bigcreekbbq/amroyal2005.html

The_Kapn
10-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Here's a link to the photos for the Royal... comments on the turn-in boxes welcomed and appreciated! http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~bigcreekbbq/amroyal2005.html

Jeff,
When you get it figured out--post them in the photos section.
The "slideshow" and all of that make it really nice to view.

Your turn-ins do not look bad, at all.
Good show and effort on them, especially for a first go at it.

I really like the way you did not "over-do" the garnish and let the meat be the star of the box.

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
10-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks, Tim. I appreciate your comments... I hope I get to see scores for appearance, tenderness and taste for each sometime. I have no idea if they mail you your scores like that or just leave it at what they've posted. I'd also like to see if there were any judges comments, especially on the ribs. Going from 36 from one judge to a 16 from another has me very curious about what happened.

The_Kapn
10-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Going from 36 from one judge to a 16 from another has me very curious about what happened.

That is just the way it is.
I have seen 2's and 8's on the same entry.
I have also seen amazingly consistant scores--even if we did not like them a lothttp://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_evil.gif

Go figure.

And, as DRBBQ explained so well--the Royal Open is not a good test of BBQ.

Go do 6 or so events, get your feet wet, and then you will get a feel for the competetive level of your Que.
Certainly not from the Royal Open.

TIM

chad
10-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Jeff;

Your boxes look very nice - excellent job on the garnish (no I'm not kidding) The mix of parsley and green leaf really framed and offset the meat nicely.

Good color on all your meats. If you judge you'll start getting ideas for the pork box. Your chicken box was well presented - a bit "rough" but you picked good thighs and had them presented well - you definately didn't just throw things in a box.

Good job.

MoKanMeathead
10-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Jeff,
You did do a good job with the garnish - must have learned well from Lana (Squeal of Approval) at Blue Springs. My only comment would to use a little glaze on your meat to give it a sheen. This is something that we don't do a very good job of either. Sometimes we will spray the meat with Pam right before we close the box - helps a little.

MoKanMeathead
10-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Hey - I must have hit a milestone post - just went from "Knows what a fattie is" to "On the road..."

Jeff_in_KC
10-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks Dave and Wayne.

Dave, knowing how you feel about garnish, I guess that's a pretty good compliment...

And Wayne, yeah, I paid careful attention to what Lana was doing at Blue Springs! It was one thing to watch her and another to repeat it three weeks later. My first box I prepped (which fortunately became the sausage turn in box) was a little rough. Along about the third box, I started to get the hang of things and was getting done BEFORE the lettuce wilted!

Tim, I did get a strong feeling that I really had no way of knowing how I stand after competing at the AR and I am therefore looking forward to DeSoto a week from Friday for that reason (that and I'm jonsin' for Wayne's cheesy potatoes!). After experiencing the AR, I think I can honestly say I'm glad it was my first one. To be honest, I knew I had no chance in hell of winning it as I said I would but I am a believer in what you focus on expands. By competing in the Royal, I could go into a first contest with few real expectations and not be embarrassed to come back home and to work and tell my friends that I placed 400th out of 474 teams. The way I'm starting to look at things is searching for the positives... We knocked off 74 teams, our sausage finished high, we got Wayne in brisket (even a blind dog finds a bone every once in awhile) and outscored my wife's co-worker's team in three of five categories after they've been cooking for lots of years and I got one judge who gave me a 36 in ribs. We can build on those positives and move on.

MoKanMeathead
10-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Not sure what we are fix'n for Friday at DeSoto but it won't be cheesy taters. Did you miss them at the Royal? I can't remember what time you made it down - everything is kinda hazy - must have been all the smoke. :-P

Jeff_in_KC
10-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Not sure what we are fix'n for Friday at DeSoto but it won't be cheesy taters. Did you miss them at the Royal? I can't remember what time you made it down - everything is kinda hazy - must have been all the smoke. :-P

Yeah that must have been it... all the smoke! :roll:

Actually, I didn't make it down at all on Friday night. We had too much going on to leave camp. We're going to be sure to do some visiting at DeSoto to get to know folks better. It was way too difficult to accomplish much of that at the AR with the exception of neighbors and a few I talked with on the way to the head or wherever.

BTW Wayne... if you're interested, we'd be glad to pitch in and contribute to your meal if you want to hook up. Let me know either way.

icemn62
10-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Jeff, I have never competed, and don't really have the "jones" to want to right now. But, I watched/read your adventure with interest. For your 1st contest you went to the ROYAL, you beat people at the ROYAL, you had fun, and you did not lose. By your scores, judges liked your product.

A co-worker and I looked at your pics. I would be VERY PROUD to be able to serve meat that had such a good look to it. I cook for my family, and friends here at work. I know they like it, because they ask for some whenever I cook. I would be pleased to ask for some of your Que, and that is RARE for me. If it taste as good as it looks, I would even pay for someof your food. That does not happen anymore (I hate to by sub par BBQ)

All of this being said, I am proud and have even done the "My Brother cooked at the superbowl of BBQ and beat people" bragging. I am sure that every contest you enter (there will be more) you will do better, and before you know it, you will be stage walking on a regular basis.

Once again, good job and congrats. you got out of your seat, and left to backyard to compare yourself to the rest of the BBQ world. Make sure your wife tells her co-workers to Fear The Pig in the days to come.

Jeff_in_KC
10-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Wow, thanks, man! That's danged nice of you to say, Gary! Much appreciated!

Bellybro
10-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Jeff great photos!

You did great for your first time. Way to jump in with both feet!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
10-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Just got my non-weighted scoring detail in the mail from the American Royal. While I know what they mean (appearance/taste/tenderness), I was hoping that some experience contest folks could help me determine if there's anything I should be getting out of all this:

CATEGORY JUDGE1 JUDGE2 JUDGE3 JUDGE4 JUDGE5 JUDGE6
CK 777 777 866 777 677 866

RI 865 999 735 888 756 745

PK 867 876 856 989 979 867

BR 669 677 778 788 978 777

SG 889 866 969 888 988 878

What I THINK I can gather from this is:

1. Chicken appearance could use a lot of work (as I knew at turn-in)

2. Chicken only had average taste

3. A couple of people don't care for sweet tasting ribs with Dr. Pepper/pineapple juice spray

4. Pork presentation must have been better than I thought... maybe they liked the big chunks of pork with all that bark that I circled around the pile? Whatever it was, I wasn't happy with it but all 8's and 9's don't lie.

5. Flavor on pork didn't work. Not sure why? Maybe because there were two types: pulled and chunks. My guess is not enough bark/smoke ring mixed into the pulled pork and those who gave me better taste scores ate chunks while lower taste scores at the pulled?

6. Brisket - while i thought it was my best presentation, five of six judges didn't think so. My brisket was the highest placing of the four main categories and apparently the tenderness was what got that because they didn't do me any favors with the other two scores.

7. Judge #2 hosed my sausage placing (150th out of around 375).

So any other ideas or help I can gather from these scores that I should keep in mind this weekend at DeSoto?

MoKanMeathead
10-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Jeff,
One thing about your ribs. I think that when ever you use "unique" flavors (Dr. Pepper/Pineapple) you run the risk of inconsistent scores - some judges may like it and some will not. I would keep your taste neutral - any flavor that over poweres another is generally not good with the judges.

On your pork you mention that the judges may have tasted different samples. I think when you turn in both pulled and chunks, most judges will taste both so you really don't know if they liked or disliked either one.

I haven't received my judges scores yet but probably will before DeSoto. Bring your scores and we can discuss out there.

See you Friday.

Sawdustguy
10-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Jeff,

Wow, interesting scores. It looks like judge 2 loved your ribs! I have never seen all the scores before. I can't believe how much they vary all over the place with very little rhyme or reason.

BBQchef33
10-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Just to point something out ladies.

Adam from Daisy Mays BBQ took first in pork and Rob Richter from Big Island BBQ took first place in Chicken

Both NY teams. !! :mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2005, 04:10 PM
They came into the capital off BBQ and won? Somebody got paid off! :biggrin: :wink:

Sawdustguy
10-12-2005, 04:38 PM
I don't know....When I took the judges class we were told to ignore personal likes and dislikes and to judge on the merit of what the chef was intending to do. From the scores it looks as if alot of the judges totally ignore that and rely on personal taste. That being said I can understand it because we are only human and it is difficult scoring something high that you wouldn't normally like. I myself love spicey and don't care for sweet. Subconciously it will be difficult for me to score a rib that had sweet barbecue sauce on it even though that is a perfectly valid flavor and what the chef intended. I would guess thats why the scores are so varied.

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2005, 05:34 PM
I don't know....When I took the judges class we were told to ignore personal likes and dislikes and to judge on the merit of what the chef was intending to do. From the scores it looks as if alot of the judges totally ignore that and rely on personal taste.

That's the exact thing that came to me also. I agree that it must be difficult to judge a piece of meat based upon the merits of what the chef was trying to do but it seems to me this is EXACTLY what they failed to do. And it probably works both ways. I'm positive the judges who gave me 999 and 888 like sweet Q. I'm just as certain that the judges who dropped the 735 and the 745 on me probably don't care for sweet Q. Like Wayne said, I have to try to stay more neutral in taste.

That being said, can anyone share a replacement spray for my ribs that might work? I've spent some time looking for a recipe today and nothing seems to be what I'm looking for.

BBQchef33
10-12-2005, 05:47 PM
"That being said, can anyone share a replacement spray for my ribs"

apple juice.

plain, simple, not to anything. done.

Solidkick
10-12-2005, 07:43 PM
apple juice.

plain, simple, not to anything. done.

FRESH apple juice.......keep your sprayer in the cooler and NOT out in the open heat........

And you saw my apple juice at BoCo.....it wasn't it's normal color....:mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC
10-12-2005, 10:42 PM
FRESH apple juice.......keep your sprayer in the cooler and NOT out in the open heat........

And you saw my apple juice at BoCo.....it wasn't it's normal color....:mrgreen:

Did a certain Mr. Jack Daniels have anything to do with the color mod? :grin:

Solidkick
10-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Did a certain Mr. Jack Daniels have anything to do with the color mod? :grin:

Nope, non alcoholic addition.....but a year ago, when the pork finished 2nd and the brisket finished 3rd at BoCo, it was a 60-40 mix of applejuice and miller lite.
Hmmmmm....maybe I should go back to that.......:!:

Samichlaus
10-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Does emulsifying a bit of oil in your spray mixture make it stick better?

Jeff_in_KC
10-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Nope, non alcoholic addition.....but a year ago, when the pork finished 2nd and the brisket finished 3rd at BoCo, it was a 60-40 mix of applejuice and miller lite.
Hmmmmm....maybe I should go back to that.......:!:

Interesting, Kick... wonder if Miller Lite works best for a particular reason or if a fuller bodied darker beer would make a noticeable difference.

Sawdustguy
10-14-2005, 02:01 AM
A dark beer may be better. I bet it works because once the alcohol and water evaporate the sugars in the beer are left to carmelize on the meat. Remember there is still alot of sugar in beer, even after it is brewed. The hops are used to take the sweetness out of the wort and the yeast dies after the wort mixture is only at about 5% alcohol. Forgive me, I forget the specific gravity number. The message is that there is still alot of unfermented sugar in the beer. We just don't taste it because of the bittering hops. The dark beer or more malty beer may give you more carmelization. There is only one way to find out.

jt
10-14-2005, 07:56 AM
I like the sound of all this and may try it on my next brisket. I've used a bourbon & apple juice spray a lot but hadn't considered beer. I've got 2 briskets waiting for my next smoke so may have to do a test....

Solidkick
10-15-2005, 08:59 AM
A dark beer may be better. I bet it works because once the alcohol and water evaporate the sugars in the beer are left to carmelize on the meat. Remember there is still alot of sugar in beer, even after it is brewed. The hops are used to take the sweetness out of the wort and the yeast dies after the wort mixture is only at about 5% alcohol. Forgive me, I forget the specific gravity number. The message is that there is still alot of unfermented sugar in the beer. We just don't taste it because of the bittering hops. The dark beer or more malty beer may give you more carmelization. There is only one way to find out.

Excellent explaination of something I tried by chance.....it certainly makes sense as it is explained here....and I thought I was just being nice and adding it to the apple juice because Miller Lite is one of our sponsors.....

I'm doing some test runs on some chicken today.......different injections and rubs.....I will do a spray comparision to what I've switched to now, and what I used a year ago and see if there's a difference in appearance.

Ron_L
10-15-2005, 09:15 AM
I've used a mix of apple juice and rum before, and the ribs came out very good. I'm not sure if the difference between that and straight AJ was that much, however.

Also, I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that some folks use a mix of juice and oil as Sami mentioned. The theory that I read was that the oil helps keep the meat moist and the juice add flavor and carmelization.