PDA

View Full Version : Party Of 50

Shinka
06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
I could use some input on this one.

I've got a party of 50 to cater and they want a bunch of food.

They are requesting:
Burgers, dogs, chicks, and ribs along with three sides, two desserts and assorted soda and bottled water. I'm to provide all the supplies such as paper products.

Any advice on how to size this out? Would that relate to 50 burgers, 50 dogs, 50 pcs of chicks and 100 bones of St Louis, along with 50 bottles of water and 50 cans of soda?

This has me stumped a bit... never has a request for such a large amount before.

Thanks in advance Brothers!

bizznessman
06-29-2012, 06:21 PM
I could use some input on this one.

I've got a party of 50 to cater and they want a bunch of food.

They are requesting:
Burgers, dogs, chicks, and ribs along with three sides, two desserts and assorted soda and bottled water. I'm to provide all the supplies such as paper products.

Any advice on how to size this out? Would that relate to 50 burgers, 50 dogs, 50 pcs of chicks and 100 bones of St Louis, along with 50 bottles of water and 50 cans of soda?

This has me stumped a bit... never has a request for such a large amount before.

Thanks in advance Brothers!

You got a tough one here Shinka. If it were me I would talk to them and see what they are thinking in terms of qty of each item. If they are willing to cover your cost of "waste" then no problem. Cook Away!!!

Dogs and burgers (depending on how your are buying them) can be held in a cooler and pulled out as needed to cook and refreeze what is not used for later use. Charge for what is consumed.

The chics and ribs are a bit harder. This is where I would try to get an answer from them on how many they want of each. Cook the qty they order and charge for that amount. I have done this in the past and my customers normally understand.

Water and soda are non perishable so supply plenty, charge for what they use and keep the remainder for another job. We have done this in the past by just performing a quick ending inventory at the end of the gig to see what was used.

I don't do many of these type of gigs since it is very hard to know what to prepare but if the customer is understanding it can work.

Shadowdog500
06-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I just did a "Party of 50" for a membership drive for my flying club last week. This was on the inexpensive side, but may give you an idea. I do figure out the quantity they expect of persiables like hamburgers or ribs and charge them for that, with the understanding that They get to keep all the uncooked burgers and unbeaten ribs when im done.

I've never had 4 different meats so you may have a ton of food left over. You may want to add a at least one steam tray of smoked mac and cheese and at least a steam tray of collards, or corn on the cob.

I seem to go through more water than soda in the last few years, guess people are more health conscious. The heat index was 105 during the bbq so I wound up going throught 4 12 packs of soda, and 3 24 packs of water. Surprisingly I only used half of the ice cream.

A few months ago I started buying 80/20 ground beef ground the morning of the bbq, and making my own burgers in the morning. I had more than a few people say something about pink slime in the spring, so I'm not getting frozen burgers for a while. Actually I like the taste of fresh hamburger with a little salt and pepper, so I'm not changing back. I'm actually surprised at how many people comment that I'm using the "good stuff" when they see my fresh made burgers going on the grill.

I get utensils, paper plates, charcoal, steam tray supplies, Sodas, and water in bulk, and bring more than I need, knowing I will re use the rest at the next bbq.

Here is what I bought, and the total cost billed to my club.

I know this isn't exactly what you want, but hope it helps.

Chris
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/shadowdog500/5bdd8574.jpg

butt head
06-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Also depends on the crowd, is it all adults, all kids or mix. kids tend to go for dogs and ribs.

Shinka
06-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Also depends on the crowd, is it all adults, all kids or mix. kids tend to go for dogs and ribs.

Yeah, it's all adults.kinda like 'come to work for free and we'll Serve ya a big dinner.' It's now changed to five meats and four sides along with two desserts and fruit...along with the beverages I mentioned originally.it's going to be big for me.

butt head
06-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Yeah, it's all adults.kinda like 'come to work for free and we'll Serve ya a big dinner.' It's now changed to five meats and four sides along with two desserts and fruit...along with the beverages I mentioned originally.it's going to be big for me.
if it were me, I don't like to run out of food so 60 each of burgers dogs and chicken. 2 bones each on ribs(put the ribs at far end of setup table so they have a full plate by the time they get to them) don't know what you added on meat but if its pork 20 lb cook will be more then enough plan on extra fruit and water they go fast. just my opinion from catering myself. good luck

Shinka
06-30-2012, 08:18 PM
if it were me, I don't like to run out of food so 60 each of burgers dogs and chicken. 2 bones each on ribs(put the ribs at far end of setup table so they have a full plate by the time they get to them) don't know what you added on meat but if its pork 20 lb cook will be more then enough plan on extra fruit and water they go fast. just my opinion from catering myself. good luck

as it stands right now: 54 burgers 54 dogs 72 chick thighs 2 st Luise bones each 18 lbs of Kielbasa 30 pieces of corn (cut into 60) 16 lbs of potato salad full tray of beans and full tray of pasta salad. Cookies brownies 2 sliced pineapples 2 sliced watermelons 64 btls of water & 84 cans of assorted sodas.

butt head
06-30-2012, 10:17 PM
the only thing i would change would be the water and soda switch the numbers for more water then soda.

woodhappens
07-08-2012, 10:38 AM
How I do it is cost times 3. If it 250 in food, sode,paper, etc... times 3 = 750

HDBBQ
07-08-2012, 10:59 AM
See I Charge by the plate when we do ours.. I.E $10.95 a plate 1 meat 2 sides w/drink Normally Cause most folks want Ribs and Brisket. Or Pulled pork and ribs, With this I would try to get as much info from the event.. The more serving info you can get is goign to make this job as easy a possible for you :cool:

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
07-09-2012, 09:33 PM
No that would be way to much food. First of all I would tell them I am not doing that big of a assortment and keep it to two proteins two sides and two desserts. Take charge and be the boss. Don't let a client set you up for a disaster. When doing a party always account for about 1.5 pieces per person. OMG I thought you said it was for 50. I could feed a 150 easy with all that food. That is going to be a big waste of food and money.