PDA

View Full Version : SBN contest question

bbqbrad
06-28-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm cooking a SMN comp in a few weeks, and was wondering what type of ribs the judges like to see... Baby Backs or Spares (St. Louis).

Thanks in advance!

bbq.tom
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
You probably already know what I'm about to present, but here it is just in case -
I've not judged any SBN comps, but the SBN Contest Rules state:

12. MEAT CATEGORIES
b. Pork Ribs: Loin back (baby back) or spare ribs only, meat on the bone. No country style ribs and no chopped, pulled, or sliced rib meat loose in the box.

Hopefully, either a SBN CBJ or cook team will jump in on this and help you more.

GOOD LUCK! HAVE FUN!!!

Lake Dogs
06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I'm a little disappointed we haven't / don't hear much from them thar guys 'round here... Hopefully a SBN CBJ can tell you what they see come across the table. I'd love to hear how/if they (the sanctioning body) define the perfect tenderness in a rib. That alone (that definition) will tell you which works better. If it appears closer to the bite-through definition of KCBS, St. Louis spares are probably better suited, or if defined as closer to the pull-cleanly-from-the-bone-with-only-slight-resistance of MBN then a 2 bone cut of loin/baby backs probably fits the bill.

Queology
06-28-2012, 03:45 PM
I cook a good many SBN events. Most SBN cooks turn in spares, with the few exceptions that cook BBs. Their flavors mimic KCBS very closely, but not quite as sweet, and not quite as done. I find they like a little more tug off the bone, but still very tender. You will need to plan on at least 8 bones, single cut, to a box with no garnish. You can fit more and more looks better in an ungarnished box, so I can usually fit 10 or 12 bones, depending on the ribs.
I've cooked ribs for a couple of their judging classes in the past, and that's what their taught to look for.

bbqbrad
06-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Russ, good to hear from you again! thanks for the help!

BKBBQ
06-29-2012, 08:03 AM
and they love smokin coles sauce on pork and ribs.thanks russ and mark.