PDA

View Full Version : How to hold Butts

Meat & Heat
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Hello all
I will be cooking for a group of around 100 on the 4th, family and friends. The question I have is I will be cooking pork butts, ribs, and chicken, the butts will be cooked the day before as the feed time and location won't make it possible to cook them there. How should I hold them? Leave them whole after they are done then reheat and pull, or pull put them in a container and heat the pulled at the event?
Any ideas would be helpfull.
Thanks

Tack
06-26-2012, 11:20 PM
I would pull them then reheat the pulled at the at the event. If you foil the butts during cooking retain the juices to add to the reheated product.

LGHT
06-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I hired a guy a few years ago for a pool party at home and he cooked the pork butts up to 170 ahead of time just to get the smoke flavor infused into the meat. Then he used my home convection oven to finish them off for a few hours and to give it a nice bark. Not sure if you can do that, but they came out amazing and I couldn't taste the difference from a butt cooked entirely on a smoker.

expatpig
06-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I would double wrap in foil, large ziplock, icewater bath to cool quickly then refrigerate. Reheat whole wrapped in foil, and then pull.

TheMidnightSmoker
06-28-2012, 06:48 PM
On occasions where I have cooked pork butts in advance of service I pull then place in freezer bags if holding for only a day or vacuum-seal if longer. On day of event I thaw, spread out pulled pork in a hotel pan, add a little more of my finishing sauce, foil and reheat at 350 in the oven till up to temp. I turn the meat once, maybe twice during the reheating to ensure no cold spots. The PP always turns out great.

JimmyDAL
06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Cook, pull, ice bath, and cryovac, and freeze. To reheat just thaw and place cryovac in a boiling pot on a turkey fryer then when heated place in a foil pan.

toadhunter911
06-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Cook, pull, ice bath, and cryovac, and freeze. To reheat just thaw and place cryovac in a boiling pot on a turkey fryer then when heated place in a foil pan.

Exactly how we do it.:grin::grin:

If service is only 1-3 days off, we just store in a super cold fridge.

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
07-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I smoked 110lbs of BUTT last week for wedding - smoked/pulled Wednesday am/pm - pulled- tinned in half trays (bout 1 butt per 1/2 tray)
put in a splash of 'moist' and a touch of sauce- mixed FOILEDTIGHT - put in Frigidaire

- Saturday morning -- oven/or smoker- add more PORK MOIST (I use splash ginger ale, pickle juice, Wooster, a juice, a.cider vinegar and some Captain Morgans -both during and after the cook!) and heat!! - maintain heat with sterno trays - if you oven at home, CAMBRO or meat cooler to event

TELL YOU WHAT!~~

OneArlenBBQ
07-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Hello all
I will be cooking for a group of around 100 on the 4th, family and friends. The question I have is I will be cooking pork butts, ribs, and chicken, the butts will be cooked the day before as the feed time and location won't make it possible to cook them there. How should I hold them? Leave them whole after they are done then reheat and pull, or pull put them in a container and heat the pulled at the event?
Any ideas would be helpfull.
ThanksFor me at all stages with two hands to hold. Or I'd drop it..:redface: I go with the idea of heating in boiling water in a turkey fryer. I have a turkey fryer and must try it. Might as well stock up for unexpected guests.:behindsofa:

jestridge
07-12-2012, 02:52 PM
How far do you have to travel? If it a short distance cook them night before ,pull them a acouple hours before serving. Sometime we have to do an all nighter