PDA

View Full Version : chicken box:

CarolinaQ
06-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Please rate my chicken box. The lighting makes the color of the chicken look very un-uniform and worse than it really was, but I do need to work on my glaze color uniformity.

nycbbq
06-25-2012, 01:35 AM
The meat looks juicy and has great color. The shape of the thighs and pattern looks disturbing; very unnatural. IMHO

Squirt
06-25-2012, 05:39 AM
I also think that it looks a little weird. I think the simpler the better, dont over think it.

Crash
06-25-2012, 06:15 AM
Personally, I think it looks pretty damn good. It's definitely unlike any chicken box I've seen before. Good job thinking outside the box.

Is that pulled chicken on the bottom, in the middle of the box?

Parsley looks very good compared to other boxes I've seen.

Chicken sits up high, looks good...only question is can you close the box without the chicken/sauce hitting the top?

ModelMaker
06-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Different is good, I like the look of your box. However,if your going to put the pulled chicken in there it's going to be judged and the first and second judge are going to be knuckle dragging the other judges samples to get at the buried pieces.
Don't know if thats such a good thing. And if it's not moist and flavorfull your just going to be hurting your score.
Ed

mobow
06-25-2012, 08:33 AM
I think it looks good. I would give it 9. keith

fnbish
06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Looks awesome including the shape of those thighs. Damn that is some good trimming. What I think is funny is there have been some chicken boxes on here recently where the trimming wasn't identical, but I thought still was great as it is hard to trim pieces that look identical. So many of those boxes got comments like "you need to work on trimming" or "pieces need to be more identical". Then the flip side is there are judges that say things can look "too identical" so much that it looks "fake". So how do you please everyone?? I also wonder how many of the judges that make comments about "work on getting them more uniform" have ever tried to do it themselves. If they haven't then I say give it a try and post the results here :becky:.

So I stopped worrying about that. If my pieces aren't completely identical I don't care anymore. I want the color/glaze and box building to look great and my appearance scores have never been higher on chicken.

The arrangement is a little different, but to me when I first saw it I was like damn that is a lot of meat and it looks great. I applaud anyone that can trim that identical.

chickenchoker
06-25-2012, 08:41 AM
looks good to me. I would eliminate the pulled and parsley the center and move the 2 in the middle to the outside to form more of a circle.

G$
06-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Looks like there might be some brush strokes, so I am giving it an 8. It may be a 9 in person. I didn't judge your parsley or the way the thighs were arranged.

FWIW: I am a cook and NOT a CBJ.

[Regarding the pulled stuff you put on the bottom, forgetting appearance, it better be as good or better than your thighs. Make sure there is an edible reason for puttig it in there.]

Alexa RnQ
06-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't have a problem on glaze color uniformity. A little variation in color makes the chicken look cooked, yanno? I have more of an issue with brush strokes, or whatever it was, making the chicken look bumpy/wrinkly (this may well have been the lighting in the picture, and not nearly as apparent in person).

I'd give it an 8 at first glance, with 9 if the finish was smoother-appearing in person.
To me the layout is a bit jarring, it doesn't show off the uniformity as well to have pieces set at angles (although I consciously disregarded layout for the purpose of judging the appearance of the meat). And why risk offending a judge that doesn't like the layout?

Count me among those wondering how you closed the box without marring the chicken.

SDAR
06-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Tough crowd huh? I'd give it a 9 all day long and twice on Saturday. :clap:

hamiltont
06-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Strong 8 and possibly a 9 in person. Looks very appetizing and symmetrical, and I like that. Cheers!!!

Brewer
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't have a problem on glaze color uniformity. A little variation in color makes the chicken look cooked, yanno? I have more of an issue with brush strokes, or whatever it was, making the chicken look bumpy/wrinkly (this may well have been the lighting in the picture, and not nearly as apparent in person).

+1, the brush strokes left a strange texture that immediately caught my attention.

bmanMA
06-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Not sure those are brush strokes. Look to me more like grate marks where the tops were hit with direct heat.

sunrise
06-25-2012, 10:16 PM
I think it looks good. Maybe a bit too much chicken, 6 pieces are all thats needed. I do like the shape, I try to get mine like that also. Whoever said the thighs need to look like "hockey pucks" anyway? I think it looks more like chicken. nice job

Hot Grill on Grill Logan
06-25-2012, 10:20 PM
that's a 9 in my book and that's from a non practicing cbj. Prefer to compete 10 times out of 10.

The Virginian
06-25-2012, 10:40 PM
It is too artful, full of artifice, artificial. The identical and slightly unnatural shape of the thighs creeps me out a little. I would give it a 7 for that reason. I understand not everyone has that reaction, though.

Southern Home Boy
06-26-2012, 09:32 AM
I'd eat that. "9" in my book. But I agree with what others have said about not putting in the pulled chicken unless you're sureit will improve your scores. That's a risk that could pay off, but it could also bite you. And unless the judges fill out a comment card, you won't know what may have pulled your score down.

abangs
06-27-2012, 12:31 AM
9. That looks deeeeelish too.....

Ryan Chester
06-27-2012, 06:39 PM

I'd give it an 8 at first glance, with 9 if the finish was smoother-appearing in person.
To me the layout is a bit jarring, it doesn't show off the uniformity as well to have pieces set at angles (although I consciously disregarded layout for the purpose of judging the appearance of the meat). And why risk offending a judge that doesn't like the layout?

Count me among those wondering how you closed the box without marring the chicken.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

DerrickG
06-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Use the same pieces in different layouts for more opinions. The layout is different but could go either way with the judges.