PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. The BBQ Skirmish- July 13-14, Gettysburg PA

Chipper
06-19-2012, 06:43 AM
This is going to be a big week-end. And if any BBQ cooks are interested, there is an ICS sanctioned chili cook-off the following day.
Hope to see lot's of Brethren.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Ill be there with EZ, we are not gonna be there for the Sunday Events.

Zig
06-19-2012, 10:04 AM
There is a lot going on that weekend. I will there for KCBS comp but not on Sunday.

HawgNationBBQ
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
We will be there for sure. Haven’t cooked in over two months and can’t wait. May try our hand at Chili!

walrus79
06-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Chili! That's what we can do with our leftover brisket! J/K

Just KCBS for us...looking forward to it! We won our way in (MABA annual meeting raffle), so we're "playin' with house money"!

Chipper
06-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Does anyone have an updated list of competitors?

Chipper
06-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Looks like a few more Brethren are in. Any idea on the team total?

Scottie
06-25-2012, 08:01 AM
It will be our 35th state. Staying Saturday night, but not cooking Sunday.

chickenchoker
06-25-2012, 08:31 AM
chicken chokers will be there. doing KCBS and wings

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-25-2012, 09:11 AM
is anyone doing the peoples choice bbq?
I was kinda wondering about the awards structure on it.

Chipper
06-25-2012, 10:45 AM
is anyone doing the peoples choice bbq?
I was kinda wondering about the awards structure on it.

I'm sure we will, but have no idea on the awards.

smokinturtle
06-26-2012, 10:05 PM
smokin turtle bbq will be there kcbs only

Kit R
06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Degüello BBQ is in. We're planning to leave on Saturday. That said, I do have this chili recipe I'd like to submit on Sunday. It's served in hollowed out apples filled with goat cheese.....:mrgreen:

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
06-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Yep, we're in too. Leaving Sat. night after awards. This is our first "pro" comp, so take it easy on us!!! :biggrin1:

K-Train
06-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Hope to be sending in our application today.

chickenchoker
06-28-2012, 08:53 AM
seems like this contest is getting bigger and bigger daily. keep em coming

Disconnect
06-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Our app is ready to go out tomorrow. Decided to skip the chili - couldn't find any info on power/water or site size so we'll probably take off sat night.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-28-2012, 10:35 AM
We're taking a week off.....................................

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-28-2012, 10:37 AM
..........need a break................

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
06-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Has anyone gotten any more updates or info from Dan about the comp ? I was curious about how many teams are in now!

Kit R
06-29-2012, 04:18 PM
..........need a break................

Some may say it's actually the rest of the field getting a break......

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
06-29-2012, 04:24 PM
some may say it's actually the rest of the field getting a break......

+1^^^^

Slamdunkpro
06-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Where can I find the app for this? We might jump in.

Scottie
06-29-2012, 04:39 PM
We're taking a week off.....................................

Can you send Eric up with some crabs though?:grin:

Disconnect
06-29-2012, 04:41 PM
www.emmitsburg.net/acac/chili_info.htm

Not much there beyond the entry form unfortunately.

Just Smokin' Around
06-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Just Smokin' Around is in for KCBS. I got a long email from Dan in early June ( and I see 3Eyz was registered ) with lots of information on electric, ice, spaces, etc. If you want the whole email, let me know or ask Dan. One thing of note to teams - You cannot set up before noon on Friday (maybe sooner, but not much). I attached the explanation below.

From Dan's email sent on 6/2/12:

Arrival: We will have people on site starting noon on Friday to greet teams as they arrive. At this time, you will be able to set-up in your assigned area. Arrangements can be made for a Thursday evening arrival, but teams will not be able to set-up until Friday noon (perhaps earlier). Send an email to development@adamsarts.org to confirm a Thursday arrival need.

Explanation: the “battlefield” is a working hotel/entertainment complex; our event (for the first) year has been granted only Friday to set-up as not to disrupt normal operations. Our event sponsor, CenturyLink, is sending a work party of 15 or so in for 8am on Friday morning to set things up. The first thing they will do is to “grass paint” the team areas. We anticipate this being done by 10am, but are setting noon as the set-up time for teams just in case. Once the team areas are finished, teams will be more than welcomed to “move-in”.

Water, Ice: Water will be available at two (trying for three) water buffalos set-up near teams lines. Ice, 40 lb. bags. This ice is available for team purchase at $7.50 a bag or two for $12.

Team Areas: Standard team areas are 25’ x 40’.

Electric: Local electrical contractor, L&H Electrical will be setting up power to all sites through the use of three generating stations. This group has set-up similar set-ups at this location for the local chamber’s annual wine festival. Please bring extension cords as per your typical need.

Originally, he intended to provide the service as he had for the chamber (at cost for labor), but unbeknown to him, the contact that provided the generators at no cost left the company since last September. This is resulting in a rental fee for the generators. Our event committee opted not to create a charge for electricity, but if a team is willing to offer a good will offering to help offset the cost it will help us keep the registration fee low for future events.

Competing Teams: We have 50 team slots available and we have roughly half of the field open. There are a handful of teams that have expressed interest, but have not yet submitted the paperwork. As of today, here is “officially” registered:

KCBS (Pro): Chicken Chokers (NJ), Smokin’ Gnome BBQ (PA), Hawg Nation BBQ (PA), Flying Porkers (PA), Burnt Side Down (NJ), Tipsy Pigs (WV), Brown Liquor BBQ (VA), Degüello BBQ (VA), Fire & Spice (PA), UHOGG (VA), Free Range BBQ (VA), Smokin for Fun (MD), Wilbur’s Revenge (PA), Zigs Pig BBQ (PA), Just Smokin’ Around (MD), Sleeping Dog (MD), Hog-It-Up BBQ (VA), Diesel Smoke BBQ (MD), 3 Eyez BBQ (MD), Jocko-Que (MD), Cancersuckschicago.com (IL), Flavor of Rub BBQ Crew (NJ), Pig Pen BBQ (NJ), Red Lion Spicy Foods (PA)

Drh7003
07-01-2012, 08:50 AM
I will be judging...hopefully...

Big Ugly's BBQ
07-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Some may say it's actually the rest of the field getting a break......

Taking a break this week, Eric is cooking Staunton, then we'll be at full strength for Gettysburg.......:biggrin1::biggrin1:

See what we can do, we'll get you the hook up.......

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-02-2012, 08:49 AM
anything new on this? Dan said he was going to email more info out but havent seen any.

smokinturtle
07-02-2012, 08:38 PM
anyone get any directions as to what part of gettysburg this is being held is it at the adress we sent the app to

K-Train
07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
anyone get any directions as to what part of gettysburg this is being held is it at the adress we sent the app to

Same question I have.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
No, I believe the name of the place is "Gateway Gettysburg". It's just east of town near the intersection of Rts. 15& 30. Just google it..... looks like a nice venue!

BBQ&Beyond
07-03-2012, 02:51 PM

Ill be there and I will be cooking wings ;) If you want some crabs let me know and I will see what I can do.

BBQ&Beyond
07-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Taking a break this week, Eric is cooking Staunton, then we'll be at full strength for Gettysburg.......:biggrin1::biggrin1:

See what we can do, we'll get you the hook up.......

Well I was cooking Staunton.... Now just going to pick up the trailer.

Slamdunkpro
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
We just signed up

SmokinGuitarPlayer
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
guys ..beware ..we sent in our app months ago and I noticed that I never heard from them so I called Dan and he did not have our registration ..but my check had been cashed months before when i sent in our application. If you have applied, make sure you are getting Dan's emails ..I was not .. now i am ..anyway ..that being said ..anyone know how many teams ?..and yes, Tasty licks BBQ will be there see everybody there!FB/SGP

ps .. LOOKS like no water and maybe shaky electric service ..anyone know more about it?

K-Train
07-03-2012, 09:55 PM
guys ..beware ..we sent in our app months ago and I noticed that I never heard from them so I called Dan and he did not have our registration ..but my check had been cashed months before when i sent in our application. If you have applied, make sure you are getting Dan's emails ..I was not .. now i am ..anyway ..that being said ..anyone know how many teams ?..and yes, Tasty licks BBQ will be there see everybody there!FB/SGP

ps .. LOOKS like no water and maybe shaky electric service ..anyone know more about it?
Does anyone have an e-mail for Dan so I can be sure our app is good. Thanks

Drh7003
07-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Dan's email:
development@adamsarts.org

twinsfan
07-04-2012, 04:24 PM
We're trying to jump in at the last second! I think I won't be able to get out there till Saturday morning so we may be stuck doing the non KCBS which would be a one day event I'm guessing. Hope to see some of you there!

Just Smokin' Around
07-04-2012, 05:15 PM
anything new on this? Dan said he was going to email more info out but havent seen any.

Sir Gnome - Yeah, he said weekly emails. Nothing since his last one on June 2nd - 5 weeks back. Now I'm seeing possibly no water! and shaky electric! WTF? I hope we see something soon with the final details.

It will be at the Gateway Complex at the intersection of Rt 15 and 30.

He sent his cell number out in the eamil 6/2:
"My cell number is 717.479.0512, but I would suggest using email as I will be able to reply almost immediately as compared to returning a call if I am not able to take the call."

I went back and forth on this one because I thought the guy was trying to do too much for a first year event ( like 4 wing categories and 4 grilled cheese categories- really?). We're in, but, we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. I hope it all goes well.

Just Smokin' Around
07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
..... If you have applied, make sure you are getting Dan's emails ..I was not .. now i am .....

What emails are you getting? Anything different than the basic information email sent 6/2/12?

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I just sent Dan an e-mail a little bit ago, and asked about the status on an update.... hopefully we'll be seeing one real soon! What is the deal with no water, I thought he said there were gonna be 2-3 water buffalos around?

Kit R
07-04-2012, 09:30 PM
I just sent Dan an e-mail a little bit ago, and asked about the status on an update.... hopefully we'll be seeing one real soon! What is the deal with no water, I thought he said there were gonna be 2-3 water buffalos around?

Guess we better top off the trailer tank..........

twinsfan
07-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Does anyone know if the non KCBS would be a one day or two day event? No information online and no e-mail response

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-05-2012, 08:23 AM
no water???? you guys gotta be kidding me!! I have never not had some type of access to water. no water = BAD!

Scottie
07-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Anyone know of a place to get water? I can't travel 11 hours with full water tanks. Anything close by for food?

HawgNationBBQ
07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
This one is going to be a doozy -- I can tell already.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Anyone know of a place to get water? I can't travel 11 hours with full water tanks. Anything close by for food?

I live an hour away, you could fill up at my house or you should pass a few places (camp gounds) on your way in.

Scottie
07-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Looks like they have a RV travel plaza at the 76/70 interchange, so we should be good.

Sounds like I should make sure my Honda 6500 should be tuned up...

Cue's Your Daddy
07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Just pull up to someones house at night and use there hose. Or look for someone who isn't home in there house. Comeon scottie. Its so easy :-D

Scottie
07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I've maybe have done that at some gas stations that are closed or rest stops in my travels...

Kit R
07-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Looks like they have a RV travel plaza at the 76/70 interchange, so we should be good.

Sounds like I should make sure my Honda 6500 should be tuned up...

Sounds good! You can park next to me and I'll just run a 12 gauge cord over!

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
07-05-2012, 01:09 PM
no water???? you guys gotta be kidding me!! I have never not had some type of access to water. no water = BAD!
Who got the info about the possibility of no water. I just saw someone's post on here a while back mentioning it???

White Dog BBQ
07-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Uh, I thought you needed water to be sanctioned? Also, Dan's e-mail says that in addition to the single hose hookup, there will be two water buffalos. Finally, Dan's e-mail said their costs for electric went up, but they will definitely have it.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Who got the info about the possibility of no water. I just saw someone's post on here a while back mentioning it???

does anyone know for sure?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Uh, I thought you needed water to be sanctioned? Also, Dan's e-mail says that in addition to the single hose hookup, there will be two water buffalos. Finally, Dan's e-mail said their costs for electric went up, but they will definitely have it.

I dont know about sanctioning but kinda hard to have a 3 bay sink with out water.

Pig Headed
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm hoping everything turns out OK with this comp. This is the reason we decided to give it a year to see how this first comp goes, besides next year is the 150th aniversary there so I really want to be there next year. Good luck to all. We'll be squeezed in tight @ Wildwood.

HawgNationBBQ
07-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Sal,

I sent Dan an email this morning after reading all of this. I asked that he please send an update at least about the water and electric. I told him I would be happy to post his response here so that everyone would know what the real story is. No response as of yet.

Slamdunkpro
07-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I just spoke with the Adams County Arts Counsel executive director. They're going to address the communications void ASAP. I voiced the communications concerns and communicated the growing nervousness on the part of the teams regarding schedules/water/electric/awards/ etc. I told her that a quick email from Dan to all the teams would go a long way to alleviate people's concerns. I was assured that there will be electric on site and water will be available one way or the other.

See everyone on Friday.

Kit R
07-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm hoping everything turns out OK with this comp. This is the reason we decided to give it a year to see how this first comp goes, besides next year is the 150th aniversary there so I really want to be there next year. Good luck to all. We'll be squeezed in tight @ Wildwood.

Yep with my family tie to the battle I will be there 100% for sure for the 150th anniversary.

tigerpaw
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I just spoke with the Adams County Arts Counsel executive director. They're going to address the communications void ASAP. I voiced the communications concerns and communicated the growing nervousness on the part of the teams regarding schedules/water/electric/awards/ etc. I told her that a quick email from Dan to all the teams would go a long way to alleviate people's concerns. I was assured that there will be electric on site and water will be available one way or the other.

See everyone on Friday.

Has any other judges been told to come or not? Anyone?? Don't want to play the Bueller card. I have asked at last three events and none had heard anything yet.

Slamdunkpro
07-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Has any other judges been told to come or not? Anyone?? Don't want to play the Bueller card. I have asked at last three events and none had heard anything yet.

My apologies, I didn't address communications with judges. I did have a conversation with Dan earlier today so if you give him a call or drop him an email I bet you get a response.

Scottie
07-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Dan confirmed there will be water and electric.

See everyone there for #35.

HawgNationBBQ
07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Here you go folks. I just received this from Dan.

Hi Michael:

Thank you for your message. I also heard from others earlier today of the rumors floating around.

I am slightly bothered by this situation, because there have been updates sent out and some of the rumors were never in question from the very first update, but however it broke down—it broke down.

Everything is fine and I am trying to put together a final update to send out between now and Saturday. I have a meeting with the complex management to get final approval of our layout plan and we will be able to include that into the final update. Here are a few things if you would please post and try to cut off some of the rumors.

Electricity—as stated in an earlier update to all teams. L&H Electric is coming onto the site to set up an entire power grid for the event covering all types of power needs. Furthermore, they will be on site during the weekend if anything trips.

Water—There is water! As stated in an earlier update. There is one water source on the property folks can fill up tanks at. As for water on the competition site, we were working on water buffalos, but when ran into issues we switched to 3 Gallon water packs for the teams to use within their site. We have order 16 pallets of these 3-packs and can get more if needed.

Bathrooms—we have ordered a portable restroom with running water for teams use only. It will be located away from the public restrooms (individual portables)

Ice—There will be ice on site all weekend in 80lb bags. Hanover Ice is dropping a freezer unit onsite for the weekend and will refill on Saturday if needed.

I am not sure of any other specific rumor out there, but we are all but ready to go once I get through our meeting tomorrow with the complex folks. If you know of any specific items, please let me know and I will shoot you an answer back tonight from my iPhone.

I have not had time to process the mail today yet, but as of Tuesday we were at 42 teams. We are also adding some additional prize money to the pot as well.

Thanks for your help and heads-up. I also appreciate your offer to post the above info on the brethren site.

If you like my cell is 717.479.0512. Other than an hour family commitment tonight, I will be able to talk on the phone if needed.

Thanks
Dan

twinsfan
07-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Haven't gotten an e-mail back yet- hopefully he responds so we can enter.

Hope to see all of you there. Everyone's gonna have at least 20 years on me again!

Just Smokin' Around
07-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Michael,
Thanks for posting the update. It sounds like most of the same information I posted a few pages back from the email he sent out on 6/2/12 with a couple of changes. I haven't received any updates since. Dan's learning the hard way that lack of communication can cause unwanted problems. One person posted no water and went viral.

80 pound bags of ice!! That must be a typo. The original email said: "This chest will carry 40 lb. bags. This ice is available for team purchase at $7.50 a bag or two for $12." Maybe they only come in two packs.

It does sound like the water situation has changed a lot. The hose to fill tanks is at the movie complex. This was in the 6/2 email: "There is one single water hook-up at the movie complex, but the distance to is not desirable if carrying large amounts of water. " So, I guess Kit and Scottie can fill up their tanks there, just not good for hauling it any distance in jugs. I guess I better plan on bring some in jugs of water. I'm not sure how having pallets of gallon jugs of drinking water will work - seems a waste to use it for wash water. Oh well. I guess it's better than nothing. There will certainly be some extra trash.

But, looking at the weather forecast, we may have plenty of water coming from the sky. Rain Friday and Saturday. Sounds like 3 Eyz weather :roll:

I'm trying to be optimistic that it will all work out.

Just Smokin' Around
07-05-2012, 11:13 PM
I know this will be a looong post and the moderator can feel free to remove it. But, I thought I would post the entire email I received on June 2nd. It does have information on the extra categories, early arrival, big rigs, bike week, etc. He does request you get back to him if leaving Saturday and on t-shirt sizes.

Obviously, the information just posted by HawgNation about water, etc. is more current than the following:

Hello all:

On behalf of everyone associated with the organizing The Gettysburg Cook-off – North vs. South, welcome to the new battle and thank you for your interest, advice, assistance, and patience as we work our way through our inaugural event. Our community has really embraced the event and we truly expect a great time for all.

As we are roughly 45 days from smokin’ the battlefield, I wanted to send out this update. It is my intent to send out a weekly update to you through the event and also sending a Competitor’s Guide for your “travel use” as well. If at any point, you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns please contact me directly and I will address the item and include it in the next update to all teams. My cell number is 717.479.0512, but I would suggest using email as I will be able to reply almost immediately as compared to returning a call if I am not able to take the call.

The following information is prepared for you focusing mainly the BBQ Skirmish. If you would like similar details for any of the other events (Wing Siege, Chili Conflict, Grilled Cheese Ambush, and Powder Keg Bake-off), please let me know. Also, PLEASE forward this email to your BBQ brethren and fellow teams.

So here is the latest . . .

Competing Teams: We have 50 team slots available and we have roughly half of the field open. There are a handful of teams that have expressed interest, but have not yet submitted the paperwork. As of today, here is “officially” registered:

KCBS (Pro): Chicken Chokers (NJ), Smokin’ Gnome BBQ (PA), Hawg Nation BBQ (PA), Flying Porkers (PA), Burnt Side Down (NJ), Tipsy Pigs (WV), Brown Liquor BBQ (VA), Degüello BBQ (VA), Fire & Spice (PA), UHOGG (VA), Free Range BBQ (VA), Smokin for Fun (MD), Wilbur’s Revenge (PA), Zigs Pig BBQ (PA), Just Smokin’ Around (MD), Sleeping Dog (MD), Hog-It-Up BBQ (VA), Diesel Smoke BBQ (MD), 3 Eyez BBQ (MD), Jocko-Que (MD), Cancersuckschicago.com (IL), Flavor of Rub BBQ Crew (NJ), Pig Pen BBQ (NJ), Red Lion Spicy Foods (PA)

Backyarder: Green Eyed Monsters (PA)

Hotels: The Wyndham in the Gateway Gettysburg Complex is our hosting sponsor and has blocked off rooms at a special “cook-off” rate. As of last week, roughly 13 rooms in the original block were still available.

Other facilities within a stone’s throw of the event include Sleep-Inn, Hampton Inn, Days Inn, Econo Lodge, and Marriot. There are several other chains and local inn throughout the area if traveling a mile or two is not an issue. Please visit http://www.gettysburg.travel/visitor/stay.asp for a complete listing.

Judges: We have 100% KCBS CBJ confirmed for the event. The judges hail from 20 different states and Ontario, Canada. We are also hosting a KCBS CBJ Class on July 12th at our education center on South Washington Street. Also, we will be hosting the first International Chili Society Certified Chili Judge Training at the event on Saturday at the Gateway Theatre facility.

EMS and Security: In order to avoid having a medical team being tapped and leaving site, we have hired a special event EMT Service to be on-site all day on Saturday and Sunday. For Friday and Saturday night, we will be using 911—the local response unit is located less than 3 minutes from the event site. The Adams County Corrections Officers Union will be provided 24 hr/day security coverage throughout the event starting on Friday afternoon. In both areas, the local hospital and sheriff’s department is aware of our event and will more than likely be stopping in when available.

Electric: Local electrical contractor, L&H Electrical will be setting up power to all sites through the use of three generating stations. This group has set-up similar set-ups at this location for the local chamber’s annual wine festival. Please bring extension cords as per your typical need.

Originally, he intended to provide the service as he had for the chamber (at cost for labor), but unbeknown to him, the contact that provided the generators at no cost left the company since last September. This is resulting in a rental fee for the generators. Our event committee opted not to create a charge for electricity, but if a team is willing to offer a good will offering to help offset the cost it will help us keep the registration fee low for future events.

Team Areas: Standard team areas are 25’ x 40’.

Port-a-potties: Teams will have “team only” facilities near team areas.

Arrival: We will have people on site starting noon on Friday to greet teams as they arrive. At this time, you will be able to set-up in your assigned area. Arrangements can be made for a Thursday evening arrival, but teams will not be able to set-up until Friday noon (perhaps earlier). Send an email to development@adamsarts.org to confirm a Thursday arrival need.

Explanation: the “battlefield” is a working hotel/entertainment complex; our event (for the first) year has been granted only Friday to set-up as not to disrupt normal operations. Our event sponsor, CenturyLink, is sending a work party of 15 or so in for 8am on Friday morning to set things up. The first thing they will do is to “grass paint” the team areas. We anticipate this being done by 10am, but are setting noon as the set-up time for teams just in case. Once the team areas are finished, teams will be more than welcomed to “move-in”.

ACTION NEEDED: If you consider your team set-up is a “big rig” or will include an RV, please confirm such to Dan Zalewski (development@adamsarts.org) prior to July 1st. This information is needed to make sure that your team is placed in an area that is easy in/easy out both crowd and traffic flow wise. Furthermore, team areas that are going to be vacant at the end of Saturday will be turned into Chili Team Areas for Sunday’s events.

Water, Ice: Water will be available at two (trying for three) water buffalos set-up near teams lines. There is one single water hook-up at the movie complex, but the distance to is not desirable if carrying large amounts of water. There will be an Ice Chest on site for the weekend and restocked on Saturday late afternoon for Sunday. This chest will carry 40 lb. bags. This ice is available for team purchase at $7.50 a bag or two for $12.

Competition Supplies and Meat: Food and prep supplies are being offered to all competing teams through “Kennie’s Quartermaster” from local supermarket Kennie’s Community Market. All pricing is set at 5% above cost (wholesale).

ACTION NEEDED: If your team would like to “get a quote”, simply send a specific breakdown of what you team will need for the weekend. We will confirm the price for your team and reply to you. If the price is accepted by the team, your order will be prepared and delivered to your team site for Friday at a confirmed time.

Butchers: if your team would prefer meat cuts from a butcher rather than a supermarket, please notify us of such as a part of your breakdown and we will confirm pricing for you with one of our participating vendors (Sensing). We will send you the pricing as well as contacts for three other local butchers. If you accept the vendor quote, your meat will be delivered to you on Friday as well. Arrangements with other butchers are up to the team.

Friday Night/Anything Butt: We have added an Anything Butt contest for Friday night as a part of a welcome night for teams, judges, sponsors, and local dignitaries. Info sheet attached. Besides the Anything Butt, we will be hosting a Pig Roast and picnic for all with special “Gettysburg flavored” visitors/entertainment.

Prize Monies: Being a first time event, our committee was shy to establish/guarantee a huge prize purse. At the same time, despite having room for 50 teams, we anticipated a dozen or so teams. To date, we have surpassed that number of teams (happily) and continue to promote in hopes of filling all 50 slots. Although there is no guarantee, our committee will be evaluating budget and consider a potential bump up in the prize monies. This decision will not be able to be confirmed no earlier than the week before the event as we see how the pre-event tickets sell.

There will be trophies and banner flags awarded as well.

Schedule: Attached you will find the intended schedule for the weekend. Any concerns with this timeline, please let us know. We will consider this schedule “in stone” into 2 weeks out, BUT will do not foresee any changes unless there is a ground swell of concern from competing teams.

Breakfast: Breakfast for all teams will be provided by “Little Everett’s BBQ” at no charge on Saturday morning. (Little Everett will not be competing.)

Wing Siege: Although not a KCBS sanctioned event, all teams are asked to consider competing in the Wing Siege held following the KCBS turn-in times and prior to the awards ceremonies. Check out the rules sheet attached.

Departure and Sunday Competing: Teams will be permitted to leave Saturday if so desired or necessary. Teams that are competing on Sunday will not be expected to move, downsize or anything along those lines for the next day’s activities.

ACTION NEEDED: If your team intends to leave on Saturday evening, please also confirm such with Dan with a targeted timeframe.

People’s Choice Awards and Sampling: All teams are asked to participate in a People’s Choice (sampling) Award in addition to the traditional events. Several local well established, very popular events have established this tradition which has really created a great buzz and healthy event. The People’s Choice program would take place after the KCBS turn-in times up through the Wing Siege event (also has People’s Choice).

A sample consists of 2oz cups (provided to teams) of a “smidgen” of any meat or sauce to participants holding a voting ticket. Visitors walk throughout the battlefield sampling from the participating teams. At the end of their sampling, they will vote at the main tent area by dropping their ticket in the respective teams jar. This is a general “all-in” event based on best overall taste of sauce or seasoning not a specific meat.

It is anticipated that most teams will have a variety of meat not submitted for KCBS judging and that can be prepared into 2oz or less samples. If your team does not feel that there will be ample “leftovers”, please notify Dan Zalewski to discuss other options. Teams are not obligated to participate in the People’s Choice, but highly encouraged to do so.

Health Department: As per Pennsylvania law, our event is not required to hold a special event permit as it is less than 72 hours for public attendance. Furthermore, health department officials will not be conducting any type of inspections throughout as some states do. However, the event will have PA Certified “Serve Safe” individuals on site to help any team avoid a potentially contamination in their set-up.

Shirt Sizes: Each team will be receiving two event shirts from our merchandising committee at no charge. Additional shirts will be available for $10 each. As with our civil war venue, the shirts will be either blue or gray based on your home states position in the historical battle.

ACTION NEEDED: please forward to Dan Zalewski (development@adamsarts.org (development@adamsarts.org)) a shirt order with both traditional adult sizes (up to XXXL).

Welcome Bags: Welcome Bags will be given to each team at arrival. This bag is being developed for those teams and judges that plan on visiting (staying) in the area for a few days around the event. Local merchants have provided some discount coupons just for team members and judges.

Entertainment: Here is our music line-up for the weekend.

Saturday 12-3pm—Charm City Limits from Baltimore—Blue Grass
3-6pm—Amy Banks from Lancaster—Jazz/Blues
6pm-7:30pm—Nashville’s Show Dog Record’s, Jessie James followed by country
rock band through 10pm.

Sunday 12-2pm—SavageFunk from Reading—Oldies
2-6pm—Joyryde from Hanover—Classic Rock.

Event website: Many of you heard that our event website would be live soon, in a week, shortly, etc. We are truly sorry on this continual talk, but no walk. Between ACAC’s redesign for our organizational website, pro bono services of the creation of our event website, legalities concerning domain ownership, a server crash/replacement, etc. This very valuable informational tool is still being worked out. Until it is up, we will continue to do weekly updates via email.

In hopes of avoiding future issues related to such, we have ordered a smart phone app for the event which our committee is setting up and will maintain directly throughout. We will announce when it is ready.

Bike Week: This event is taking place during the annual Gettysburg Bike Week. The Bike Week is a well visited event averaging roughly 20,000 visitors over the four day period. Our event is located approximately 500 yards away from the local Harley dealership. With this being said, we do expect biker patrons, BUT all main biker events—that may not be family friendly to some—are located at two venues literally “all the way across town”. Both our committee and their committee are working together to cross promote, but we both do not see any potential issues if you wish to bring your families/children.

Thank you again for your participation!
Dan

Dan - 3eyzbbq
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
But, looking at the weather forecast, we may have plenty of water coming from the sky. Rain Friday and Saturday. Sounds like 3 Eyz weather :roll:

Thanks, but weather forecast this far out is useless. Wait till Tuesday(ish) and we should know better.

There is still time for a Hurricane :laugh:

tigerpaw
07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks, but weather forecast this far out is useless. Wait till Tuesday(ish) and we should know better.

There is still time for a Hurricane :laugh:

You win a Grand in a 80 MPH straight line wind event, what do you think you're gonna win with a hurricane? I did not think there was a level above Grand Champion. :rain:

Big Ugly's BBQ
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
You win a Grand in a 80 MPH straight line wind event, what do you think you're gonna win with a hurricane? I did not think there was a level above Grand Champion. :rain:

The very first contest Dan and I cooked together was in a Tropical Storm, with winds just under Hurricane strength........

We took Reserve! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

HawgNationBBQ
07-06-2012, 07:49 PM
The very first contest Dan and I cooked together was in a Tropical Storm, with winds just under Hurricane strength........

It’s a good thing for us then that it is going to be 75 degrees, no humidity, and zero chance of rain with 2 mph winds.:clap2:

Just Smokin' Around
07-06-2012, 11:33 PM

I'll have to look at what's brewing in the Atlantic this week. We just had Debby, so I guess "E" is next - maybe Eric? ( that wouldn't be fair!!)
Chris, what contest was the one you mentioned. You've cooked in so many like that ... and I've been at a few.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-07-2012, 08:10 AM

I drove over last night to look around and will post pics of the area I think we are gonna be at. there are 2 "fancy" resturants right there. as far as a water fill for your tanks the theater isnt to far, but I wouldnt want to tote water from there back to the site area.

Big Ugly's BBQ
07-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Chris, what contest was the one you mentioned. You've cooked in so many like that ... and I've been at a few.

The very first Seaside Heights comp.

We have cooked in alot of bad weather comps, I wonder what would have happened if we had cooked that one Hedgesville event couple of years ago, when they had several inches of rain. I was down in that corner, on the only high spot. I had a moat around me.......

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-07-2012, 05:14 PM
here are the pics I took last night, that is one AWESOME theater. There is a smaller grassy area on a hill, but this is were I think we will be.

Big Ugly's BBQ
07-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Is that by the outlets or further up Rt 15?

Zig
07-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Its up at RT 30 and 15, thats north of the outlets.

Slamdunkpro
07-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Is that by the outlets or further up Rt 15?
Just on the east side of where 15 & 30 cross. I'd guess you'd come across through Hampstead up to Hanover to pick up 30.

Drh7003
07-08-2012, 09:03 AM

I signed up to judge a while back. I received no notification until I emailed Dan, and the only thing I got was that I was accepted for Sunday, but on a waiting list for Saturday. I am not that far away, so for me, I will commute Saturday and Sunday, and help out where I can.

smokinturtle
07-08-2012, 03:30 PM
has anyone gotten an email from dan this weekend he said he was going to email everyone once he had a final meeting friday morning

twinsfan
07-08-2012, 04:07 PM
I was out there for the Gettysburg marathon back in April or May for my dad, ironically, and the registration for the race was very close to here. There was the theater as you saw in the photo, and a complex of chain restaurants and chain hotels (like the choice, econo, hampton inn) kind of hotels. The whole complex is quite spread about but there's an enormous amount of parking spaces throughout the complex. There are some cheap restaurants for a Friday or Saturday dinner around there if you don't have an RV.

Will see everybody out there, hope to meet a few of you.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I was out there for the Gettysburg marathon back in April or May for my dad, ironically, and the registration for the race was very close to here. There was the theater as you saw in the photo, and a complex of chain restaurants and chain hotels (like the choice, econo, hampton inn) kind of hotels. The whole complex is quite spread about but there's an enormous amount of parking spaces throughout the complex. There are some cheap restaurants for a Friday or Saturday dinner around there if you don't have an RV.

Will see everybody out there, hope to meet a few of you.

I think there is also a grocery store or 2 close as well. I know there is a beer store as well.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
07-08-2012, 05:49 PM
has anyone gotten an email from dan this weekend he said he was going to email everyone once he had a final meeting friday morning
No, I was hoping to see something posted on here...... If anybody else has any updated info, please post it!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-08-2012, 09:04 PM
peoples choice info? please?

no emails here, just hoping for more info. sending on to Dan.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-08-2012, 09:23 PM
here is the email I sent Dan Z. I alos called. please feel free to do the same.

Im sure you know that there are a lot of teams with questions. here are some of mine.

peoples choice.

Awards?
pay outs?
needs?

how many gallons of water are you giving teams ( I would probably need 15 to start)
pay outs to were and how much?
what type of awards (prizes? trophies? etc?)

are there food vendors?

ice delivery?

water delivery?

kids activity?

bad weather contingencys?

bbq supplies? charcoal,wood? spices?

people are really starting to freak out. Ill post on MABA and BBQ Brethren anything you can give me to inform the teams.

Sal

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
update from the organizer......

Hi Sal:

I was called out of the area unexpectedly and I just got back to the area after a full day of driving. I do apologize.

I tried to answer emails while driving the interstate today, but I knew I wasn't catching everything/everyone.

Please let everyone know in your circle that email updates to teams and judges will be out by noon tomorrow--guaranteed. Everything is okay and on target for the event.

I will add the answers to your questions to the update for all as well.

I have a 7am with the electrician and then will be in office to complete the emails.

Dan

Kit R
07-09-2012, 07:43 AM
update from the organizer......

Please let everyone know in your circle that email updates to teams and judges will be out by noon tomorrow--guaranteed. Everything is okay and on target for the event.

Dan

I sincerely hope Dan does make his deadline for update. I'm NOT saying that I don't believe it. I just think that he needs to send out an update today to calm some nerves. We are fortunate as we have a trailer and generator so infrastructure won't really impact us much. Much more of an issue for others so I understand their nervousness.

twinsfan
07-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Yea I'd be shocked if we have an e-mail by noon. I think it's gonna be a show up and have some fun and ignore all the planning issues kind of comp.

Slamdunkpro
07-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I sincerely hope Dan does make his deadline for update. I'm NOT saying that I don't believe it. I just think that he needs to send out an update today to calm some nerves. We are fortunate as we have a trailer and generator so infrastructure won't really impact us much. Much more of an issue for others so I understand their nervousness.

I'll take the over for $500 Alex.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
07-09-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm packing more "drinks" as a contingency plan.

HawgNationBBQ
07-09-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm packing more "drinks" as a contingency plan.

Exactly -- less thinkin, more drinkin.

Chipper
07-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Dan sent out an e-mail as promised. If you didn't get it, you should contact him.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Dan sent out an e-mail as promised. If you didn't get it, you should contact him.

would you please post it.

Chipper
07-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Hello all:

My deepest apologizes for any and all delays in finalizing this last update. Despite the rumors, all is well in Gettysburg and we are all but ready to go.

We are at 47 total teams for this weekend: A to Z BBQ, PA; Chicken Chokers, NJ; Smokin’ Gnome BBQ, PA; Hawg Nation BBQ, PA; Flying Porkers, PA; Burnt Side Down, NJ; Tipsy Pigs, WV; Brown Liquor BBQ, VA; Degüello BBQ, VA; Fire & Spice, PA; UHOGG, VA; Free Range BBQ, VA; Smokin for Fun, MD; Wilbur’s Revenge, PA; Zigs Pig BBQ, PA; Just Smokin’ Around, MD; Sleeping Dog, MD; Hog-It-Up BBQ, VA; Diesel Smoke BBQ, MD; 3 Eyez BBQ, MD; Jocko-Que, MD; Cancersuckschicago.com, IL; Florida Skin and Bones, FL; Pig Pen BBQ, NJ; Red Lion Spicy Foods, PA; White Dog BBQ, PA; Bar-B-Que Mayham, PA; Triple J Smokin’, PA; Zombie Barbecue, PA; Pullin’ Pork, DE; Appleway BBQ, PA; Tasty Licks BBQ, PA; Checkered Flag 500 BBQ Team, PA; Christmas City BBQ, PA; Fat Maxine’s, MD; Uncle Buck’s BBQ, MD; Bone to Bark BBQ, MD; Susquehanna Blue Smoke, PA; 4:20 Q, MD; Smokin’ Turtle Low N Slow, PA; Smokescreen BBQ, PA; Aporkalypse Now, VA; Sie’n Dis BBQ, MD; Fat Daddy Joe’s BBQ, MD; Hoos Smokin’, ; Pighole BBQ, MD; Princess and the Porker, KY; Sugar Loaf Mountain BBQ, MD; Green Eyed Monsters BBQ, PA; and Smokin’ My Pit, MD. As of this moment, we can accept only 3 more KCBS teams and we will close entries Wednesday at noon.

file:///C:%5CUsers%5CCHIPWE%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif
GPS Address: For those using GPS use the following address to arrive to the event: 95 Presidential Circle, Gettysburg, PA 17325. Official arrival time is after 12noon on Friday, but understanding travel times teams will be checked in sooner if all major set-up is finalized.

Water: All teams will receive 18 gallons of water once they are settled into their cooking area. More gallons will be available as needed through the weekend. There is one (1) water hook-up roughly 80 yards away from the competition area. Teams can fill up storage tanks and the like upon their arrival and prior to departure on a first come/first serve basis. Please bring your own hose.

Ice: We are still on for ice on-site all weekend. As announced earlier the ice is available in 40 lb. bags at $8 apiece.

Electric: The electrical “grid” will be up and operational shortly after noon time on Friday. I met with the head electrician this morning and we are set for all power needs you will have for traditional and RV set-ups. We will work with you as you setup to make sure everything is connected and working for you throughout the weekend. The electricians will be onsite throughout the event in case something arises. He has asked me to stress to everyone to please bring ample plus extension cords to make sure your length will reach the boards. Since our “free” contact for the generators is no longer with the company, we are trying to avoid an overabundance of spider boxes that will continue to add to the expense.

Payouts: We were able to add a little more money to the pot for the KCBS Event. For each of the individual meats, the payouts will be (first through fifth) $350, $200, $100, $50, $25 with an unique trophy award; Grand Champion will receive $600 plus trophy and Reserve Champion $350. The Backyarder division payouts are $100, $75, and $50 for each of the four main meats.

Meat Inspection: Our KCBS Rep—Randy Bigler will be available to do the meat inspections starting Friday morning as you check in.

Anything Butt: We have several teams in on the Anything Butt, but hope to entice a few more. Please see the info/registration sheet attached. Two questions that have been asked: Teams can use their own platter or clam shell for the entry. Seafood is allowable.

Schedules: The attached battle schedule did have an additional tweak in reference to Sunday. Attached is also the full event schedule with the band times, etc.

Friday Evening: Please note the attached invitation to a social connected with the Anything Butt contest (just as an FYI). We hope you will all will join us for a pig roast and some Cornhole fun prior to going to battle.

People’s Choice Questions: After teams are set-up, you will receive a special numbered sign to be displayed at your area. During the schedule time frame, visitors will visit participating teams for a 2 oz. sample (sample cups to be provided). The sample can be meat or sauce—as earlier suggested perhaps the non-turned in meats pieces from each team can be divided up for this purpose. Visitors once finished sampling will vote by depositing their vote ticket (received at gate entrance upon arrival) into the appropriate team’s numbered “box” in the main tent area. The team with the most votes will receive a trophy and $100.

Wing Siege: Please consider signing up for the wing siege. We have some teams, but with everyone in the BBQ it would be great to add more to make this battle stronger. Pay outs are increased $175, $100, and $50 for each of the four categories.

Saturday Breakfast: Don’t forget the Free breakfast for all teams on Saturday Morning. You will not need tickets or anything along those lines. Little Everett’s BBQ, a local non-competing team, will be setting up the buffet for 7am.

Other Event activities: There will be live music all weekend long starting on Friday ranging from Blue Grass and Jazz to Country and Rock. A “Kidz Zone” will be provided with roughly a dozen carnival type games for the kids. American Cornhole will be holding both open play/qualifying as well as a structured tournament program.

Weather: Forecast for the weekend currently is cloudy Friday with highs in the mid to upper 80’s. Saturday and Sunday are sunny with highs in the mid to upper 80’s with a small chance of a spotty shower.

Other Supplies: No one ordered any food or supplies from “Kennie’s Quartermaster” for the event, so the pre-packaged delivery is no longer available at this time, but we can still arrange for the just above wholesale pricing for any items you may need. We will like to hear from you on what we can do to make this program more useful to you in the future. We acknowledge the late joining teams did not know about it in time, but we would like to try to put this together again for 2013.

Loose ends: Those teams just registering or have not done so yet, please forward your shirt sizes and departure plans (Saturday evening or Sunday morning). Each team will receive two shirts with any additional shirts $10 apiece.

I believe I hit everything asked, but please let me know if you have any questions. Also, my cell number is 717.479.0512.

file:///C:%5CUsers%5CCHIPWE%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.gif
file:///C:%5CUsers%5CCHIPWE%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image003.gifFor those teams also competing on Sunday: a second email to all chili teams will be sent our later today with only a few notes specific to Sunday.

Looking forward to welcoming all of you this weekend.
Dan

file:///C:%5CUsers%5CCHIPWE%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image004.jpg

White Dog BBQ
07-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Dan's latest e-mail. Note that the e-mail also has about 40 MB(!) in attachments, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of you don't receive the email due to attachment size. The attachments are flyers and schedules.

Hello all:

My deepest apologizes for any and all delays in finalizing this last update. Despite the rumors, all is well in Gettysburg and we are all but ready to go.

We are at 47 total teams for this weekend: A to Z BBQ, PA; Chicken Chokers, NJ; Smokin’ Gnome BBQ, PA; Hawg Nation BBQ, PA; Flying Porkers, PA; Burnt Side Down, NJ; Tipsy Pigs, WV; Brown Liquor BBQ, VA; Degüello BBQ, VA; Fire & Spice, PA; UHOGG, VA; Free Range BBQ, VA; Smokin for Fun, MD; Wilbur’s Revenge, PA; Zigs Pig BBQ, PA; Just Smokin’ Around, MD; Sleeping Dog, MD; Hog-It-Up BBQ, VA; Diesel Smoke BBQ, MD; 3 Eyez BBQ, MD; Jocko-Que, MD; Cancersuckschicago.com (http://cancersuckschicago.com/), IL; Florida Skin and Bones, FL; Pig Pen BBQ, NJ; Red Lion Spicy Foods, PA; White Dog BBQ, PA; Bar-B-Que Mayham, PA; Triple J Smokin’, PA; Zombie Barbecue, PA; Pullin’ Pork, DE; Appleway BBQ, PA; Tasty Licks BBQ, PA; Checkered Flag 500 BBQ Team, PA; Christmas City BBQ, PA; Fat Maxine’s, MD; Uncle Buck’s BBQ, MD; Bone to Bark BBQ, MD; Susquehanna Blue Smoke, PA; 4:20 Q, MD; Smokin’ Turtle Low N Slow, PA; Smokescreen BBQ, PA; Aporkalypse Now, VA; Sie’n Dis BBQ, MD; Fat Daddy Joe’s BBQ, MD; Hoos Smokin’, ; Pighole BBQ, MD; Princess and the Porker, KY; Sugar Loaf Mountain BBQ, MD; Green Eyed Monsters BBQ, PA; and Smokin’ My Pit, MD. As of this moment, we can accept only 3 more KCBS teams and we will close entries Wednesday at noon.
<image002.png>

GPS Address: For those using GPS use the following address to arrive to the event: 95 Presidential Circle, Gettysburg, PA 17325. Official arrival time is after 12noon on Friday, but understanding travel times teams will be checked in sooner if all major set-up is finalized.

Water: All teams will receive 18 gallons of water once they are settled into their cooking area. More gallons will be available as needed through the weekend. There is one (1) water hook-up roughly 80 yards away from the competition area. Teams can fill up storage tanks and the like upon their arrival and prior to departure on a first come/first serve basis. Please bring your own hose.

Ice: We are still on for ice on-site all weekend. As announced earlier the ice is available in 40 lb. bags at $8 apiece.

Electric: The electrical “grid” will be up and operational shortly after noon time on Friday. I met with the head electrician this morning and we are set for all power needs you will have for traditional and RV set-ups. We will work with you as you setup to make sure everything is connected and working for you throughout the weekend. The electricians will be onsite throughout the event in case something arises. He has asked me to stress to everyone to please bring ample plus extension cords to make sure your length will reach the boards. Since our “free” contact for the generators is no longer with the company, we are trying to avoid an overabundance of spider boxes that will continue to add to the expense.

Payouts: We were able to add a little more money to the pot for the KCBS Event. For each of the individual meats, the payouts will be (first through fifth) $350, $200, $100, $50, $25 with an unique trophy award; Grand Champion will receive $600 plus trophy and Reserve Champion $350. The Backyarder division payouts are $100, $75, and $50 for each of the four main meats.

Meat Inspection: Our KCBS Rep—Randy Bigler will be available to do the meat inspections starting Friday morning as you check in.

Anything Butt: We have several teams in on the Anything Butt, but hope to entice a few more. Please see the info/registration sheet attached. Two questions that have been asked: Teams can use their own platter or clam shell for the entry. Seafood is allowable.

Schedules: The attached battle schedule did have an additional tweak in reference to Sunday. Attached is also the full event schedule with the band times, etc.

Friday Evening: Please note the attached invitation to a social connected with the Anything Butt contest (just as an FYI). We hope you will all will join us for a pig roast and some Cornhole fun prior to going to battle.

People’s Choice Questions: After teams are set-up, you will receive a special numbered sign to be displayed at your area. During the schedule time frame, visitors will visit participating teams for a 2 oz. sample (sample cups to be provided). The sample can be meat or sauce—as earlier suggested perhaps the non-turned in meats pieces from each team can be divided up for this purpose. Visitors once finished sampling will vote by depositing their vote ticket (received at gate entrance upon arrival) into the appropriate team’s numbered “box” in the main tent area. The team with the most votes will receive a trophy and $100.

Wing Siege: Please consider signing up for the wing siege. We have some teams, but with everyone in the BBQ it would be great to add more to make this battle stronger. Pay outs are increased $175, $100, and $50 for each of the four categories.

Saturday Breakfast: Don’t forget the Free breakfast for all teams on Saturday Morning. You will not need tickets or anything along those lines. Little Everett’s BBQ, a local non-competing team, will be setting up the buffet for 7am.

Other Event activities: There will be live music all weekend long starting on Friday ranging from Blue Grass and Jazz to Country and Rock. A “Kidz Zone” will be provided with roughly a dozen carnival type games for the kids. American Cornhole will be holding both open play/qualifying as well as a structured tournament program.

Weather: Forecast for the weekend currently is cloudy Friday with highs in the mid to upper 80’s. Saturday and Sunday are sunny with highs in the mid to upper 80’s with a small chance of a spotty shower.

Other Supplies: No one ordered any food or supplies from “Kennie’s Quartermaster” for the event, so the pre-packaged delivery is no longer available at this time, but we can still arrange for the just above wholesale pricing for any items you may need. We will like to hear from you on what we can do to make this program more useful to you in the future. We acknowledge the late joining teams did not know about it in time, but we would like to try to put this together again for 2013.

Loose ends: Those teams just registering or have not done so yet, please forward your shirt sizes and departure plans (Saturday evening or Sunday morning). Each team will receive two shirts with any additional shirts $10 apiece.

I believe I hit everything asked, but please let me know if you have any questions. Also, my cell number is 717.479.0512.
<image003.png>

<image004.png>For those teams also competing on Sunday: a second email to all chili teams will be sent our later today with only a few notes specific to Sunday.

Looking forward to welcoming all of you this weekend.
Dan

Chipper
07-09-2012, 11:19 AM
There are a few PDF's attached with the schedules and application for the Anything Butt. Not sure how to paste them.

Big Ugly's BBQ
07-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Should have bet the under............

twinsfan
07-09-2012, 12:47 PM
His inbox is full now apparently according to their network mailer. Now we really can't get ahold of him!

Fantastic! :-D

Gordo44
07-09-2012, 08:43 PM
From White Dog.......
"Dan's latest e-mail. Note that the e-mail also has about 40 MB(!) in attachments, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of you don't receive the email due to attachment size. The attachments are flyers and schedules."

Seems like this may be one reason why only a small fraction of Dan's emails are getting through.
My freebie email program won't process any attachments over 20MB and some others are clamped at 10MB.
Dan's tryin to dump a tandem dump truck load of info into my pickup.

SmokinGuitarPlayer
07-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for posting the update email. as usual, i didn't get it ... and yes, his mailbox is rejecting any more emails. ... see you there!
FB/SGP

5-0 BBQ
07-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Just on the east side of where 15 & 30 cross. I'd guess you'd come across through Hampstead up to Hanover to pick up 30.
I hear there is a cool little BBQ Store in Hampstead. :wink:

bdodd444
07-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Hoos Smokin' will be there, and looking forward to it. I just wanted to let everyone know that we were able to get the "cook-off" rate at the Wyndham for $109. I have stayed there before, and this is a great deal for a very nice hotel in the same complex as the competition, literally a walk across the parking lot. Take care.

Brian

Slamdunkpro
07-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Hoos Smokin' will be there, and looking forward to it. I just wanted to let everyone know that we were able to get the "cook-off" rate at the Wyndham for $109. I have stayed there before, and this is a great deal for a very nice hotel in the same complex as the competition, literally a walk across the parking lot. Take care.

Brian

When did you book this? I called last week and they told me they were completely sold out:mmph:

bdodd444
07-10-2012, 10:10 PM
When did you book this? I called last week and they told me they were completely sold out:mmph:

Booked it this morning. Who knows, it might be worth checking back with them. Online was showing no availability, so we called straight to the hotel and got it.

Gordo44
07-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Talked to the contest organizer, Dan, and made sure he was aware there have been issues with the size of his email attachments. He said he will address and resolve.

tomnstac
07-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Check out The BBQ Equipment Store if you are out of anything. I don't think they are far from the event!
bbqequipmentstore.com

HawgNationBBQ
07-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Mike, I believe there is a Courtyard there as well.

Slamdunkpro
07-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Mike, I believe there is a Courtyard there as well.
That's where we're booked.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-11-2012, 03:23 PM
up to 51 teams ( including a few back yarders)

be safe everyone and try not to go through town! Bike Week is gonna have things backed up and getting through the square will be a challange.

Sal

Big Ugly's BBQ
07-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Glad I'm comin from the East........

Scottie
07-11-2012, 04:53 PM
up to 51 teams ( including a few back yarders)

be safe everyone and try not to go through town! Bike Week is gonna have things backed up and getting through the square will be a challange.

Sal

Great. That means my Garmin will drive me right through downtown...

K-Train
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Coming from the Annapolis area. Anyone got east directions to get me there?? Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

K-Train
07-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Coming from the Annapolis area. Anyone got east directions to get me there?? Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
Meant to say easy

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
07-11-2012, 07:59 PM
The easiest would be for you to pick up I-83 north of Baltimore and go to the RT30 exit in York, take 30 west toward Gettysburg and you will see the entrance just before the RT15 junction just east of G'burg...... no going through town!!!

White Dog BBQ
07-11-2012, 08:17 PM
The easiest would be for you to pick up I-83 north of Baltimore and go to the RT30 exit in York, take 30 west toward Gettysburg and you will see the entrance just before the RT15 junction just east of G'burg...... no going through town!!!

Route 30 from York to Gettysburg is a slog -- I wouldn't go that way.

This place is east of Gettysburg so no matter how you go you shouldn't have to go through the Borough.

White Dog BBQ
07-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Great. That means my Garmin will drive me right through downtown...

If you're coming from the PA Turnpike, you should just take the US 15 exist and head straight to the event. No town for you!

Disconnect
07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Fyi of you have an android or iphone, check out waze. Free, live traffic, routes around things like bike week :-)

Sent from my T-mobile SGS III using Tapatalk 2

Gadragonfly
07-12-2012, 12:28 AM
We're on the way tomorrow morning - flying from Ga to Baltimore then driving to Gettysburg. We're judging Saturday. I'm hoping to meet many new Brethren this weekend. I'll be the fat, middle-age judge wearing my brand new Brethren t-shirt. See you all this weekend. Julie

Big Ugly's BBQ
07-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Heading out first thing in the morning, have to stop in Emmitsburg first (family reunion this weekend) then get up there.

Going to be a busy weekend in that area, Bike week and comps in G-Burg and the MD State Babe Ruth Tournament is in Taneytown, and POTUS will be at Camp David. Guess the Cozy Inn is out..........

The Virginian
07-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Chris, I thought you all were sitting this one out. Well, bring it on, brother, see you all there.

Brett

Big Ugly's BBQ
07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Chris, I thought you all were sitting this one out. Well, bring it on, brother, see you all there.

Brett

Took last weekend off, whole team is re-charged and ready for another 10-12 in a row.........

Disconnect
07-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Took last weekend off, whole team is re-charged and ready for another 10-12 in a row.........

Damn.. we may as well stay home ;-)

twinsfan
07-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Weather app on my iPhone is showing occasional thunderstorms from midnight into the late afternoon in Gettysburg.

You all screwed, 3 Eyez is now in their element. I'll be watching from the backyarders! :D

Dan - 3eyzbbq
07-12-2012, 08:26 PM
@twinsfan-only as good as what you do at each comp. Pretty stiff competition at this one!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-12-2012, 09:09 PM
@twinsfan-only as good as what you do at each comp. Pretty stiff competition at this one!

Im not gonna wear underwear to make the spanking easier...:mmph:

K-Train
07-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Im not gonna wear underwear to make the spanking easier...:mmph:

Thats a good call. Just found out that our butcher thought we'd be picking our meat up tomorrow evening. He had everything but ribs. I had to run to Giant and buy some spares (they were on sale, I'm a little disturbed by that.) I had to butcher them myself, not a pretty site (on my mental list of things to practice). Pretty sure we'll be getting caned on our arses, at least in ribs.

Disconnect
07-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Thats a good call. Just found out that our butcher thought we'd be picking our meat up tomorrow evening. He had everything but ribs. I had to run to Giant and buy some spares (they were on sale, I'm a little disturbed by that.) I had to butcher them myself, not a pretty site (on my mental list of things to practice). Pretty sure we'll be getting caned on our arses, at least in ribs.

We gave up on giant for ribs after more than 75% were bad in the past year. (First we blamed ourselves, started going with a cooler full of ice for the 5 minute drive home.. didn't help.) Fyi the on-sale ones are usually frozen and then thawed in their display case.

I was gonna post about that tonight actually - if I buy fresh unfrozen ribs, should I just expect that 20-30% will be bad? Just found a bad cryo in a case from RD that has been on ice since we got it this evening.. It's helping with the minimalist cooks (4 racks instead of 6) but.. We may just go back to frozen. I don't think they cook the same though.

twinsfan
07-12-2012, 11:05 PM
^^ We might have to buy Acme or Giant ribs tomorrow, I can't get to Costco tomorrow morning. We will have to see :rolleyes:

Hope we don't disturb everyone pulling in at 11-12 PM. Everyones gonna have at least twenty years on me but it'll be another good learning experience.

Chipper
07-13-2012, 07:35 AM
^^ We might have to buy Acme or Giant ribs tomorrow, I can't get to Costco tomorrow morning. We will have to see :rolleyes:

Hope we don't disturb everyone pulling in at 11-12 PM. Everyones gonna have at least twenty years on me but it'll be another good learning experience.

Look up Wegman's and stop there for ribs. They also have nice pork butts for $1.29/lb.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
07-13-2012, 09:24 AM

I'll have 2 extra racks of spares. Catch me before 11pm tonight or after 5am Saturday and they are yours. Knock on the trailer door after 11pm and you might get hurt though :icon_smile_tongue:

twinsfan
07-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Dan, Let me go to the store this afternoon, and see if I can do better then $4.99 a LB. I can't bring myself to pay $5.49 for an untrimmed rack of spares. I appreciate the offer

If I do take you up on that offer I'm paying you for them.

Thanks for bearing with me, :-D

TF