PDA

View Full Version : Anything butt?!

porkingINpublic
06-17-2012, 04:12 PM
What is everyone cooking for anything butt category?

I have been doing new York strip steaks marinated, seasoned, & reverse seared. Got 2nd in first comp & then like 8th! I got beat by a stuffed tomatoe! I guess I need to change things up.... Any ideas? Thanks

BBQ Grail
06-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Why change things up? Maybe you just need to tweak your dish a little. I know some people that have worked on their "anything butt" recipes for years. Here a tweak...there a tweak...

And I've had some pretty darn tasty stuffed tomatoes over the years.

EMTTLC
06-17-2012, 04:33 PM
We've yet to win an anything butt, so you probably shouldn't follow my lead, but: we've gone toward the sweet rather than savory thinking that after four rounds of meat, a change might do well. Best finish 3rd, worst 15th. Lava cakes, cinnamon rolls, peach cobbler, praline cream tarts. Maybe we should try meats!

porkingINpublic
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
I dont know what they are looking for really... We were next to a guy that did deer sliders at our past 2 comps... He got 1st & 2nd in the past two comps...they were good.

I'm debating doing like a pecan pie or something.... We have a traeger smoker on staff so it's basically a glorified oven.... It's tempting

smokeworker
06-17-2012, 05:40 PM
that is definately a luck catagory. I got a 1st in 1 comp(19 teams only) because it was rainy and cold and we made a southwest chili. 3 other times middle of the pack with similar chili.
The judges may never be more fickle IMO as in chefs choice/anything butt.

INmitch
06-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Madison IN is the only comp we do the anything butt. Joey (team mate) has won the last 2 years. 1st win was scallops oscar. 2nd win was fillet oscar. He is an exceptional good self taught cook.

Curling Q
06-18-2012, 12:34 PM
We've yet to win an anything butt, so you probably shouldn't follow my lead, but: we've gone toward the sweet rather than savory thinking that after four rounds of meat, a change might do well. Best finish 3rd, worst 15th. Lava cakes, cinnamon rolls, peach cobbler, praline cream tarts. Maybe we should try meats!

I agree with your thinking on being sweet after all of the meat a judge eats while judging the 4 main catergories. My team took the same line of thinking earlier this month and did a peach dessert with ice cream. It ended up winning, the 2nd place finisher also had a very good score and made a dessert too.

Alexa RnQ
06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
What the hell was in that stuffed tomato???

gooose53
06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
We've won 4 or 5 atb contests with shrimp and grits. I don't think you would win with that dish outside of the south though. A winner at one contest was brocoli salad (can't spell).

Slamdunkpro
06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
I quit doing anything but after our scallops over grits with a tomato water foam were beat by vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup on top.

va92bronco
06-18-2012, 01:12 PM
I quit doing anything but after our scallops over grits with a tomato water foam were beat by vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup on top.

I can see why. That is just painful.

BBQ Nuts
06-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Try Hershey's syrup on the scallops next time :)

porkingINpublic
06-18-2012, 04:38 PM
What the hell was in that stuffed tomato???

That's what I said?!

I can't picture it being better than steak!

I thought about doing something with smoked maple bacon... Maybe wrapped over meat balls...

How do you keep ice cream from melting before the judges get to it?