PDA

View Full Version : Help with first contest (2 cookers)

Atlasman
06-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone I have been poking around the site for awhile trying to absorb as much of the great info as I can but now it's time for me to get my feet wet and light some fires of my own in competiton.

I have an XL Big Green Egg and a 22.5" WSM to work with.

KCBS event.

I am struggling with my schedule of 4 meats on 2 cookers. Here is my plan, let me know what you think and PLEASE any and all input about first contest prep would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My plan was/is to do the pork (butts and ribs) on the WSM and timing my ribs to hit the smoker when the butts go to foil so I can bump the smoke up without overdoing the butts.

Brisket hot and fast on the BGE then off to rest in a cooler leaving me the egg open by 9-9:30 am (should be plenty of time for chicken)

Can I leave a brisket rest for 3+hrs without it overcooking itself??

I am doing a dry run as I type this so I will feel better about my abilty to pull off said schedule hopefully later today.

Contest is in 8 days

dmprantz
06-15-2012, 08:20 AM
I think every one has his own schedule and way of doing things. I don't cook on the equipment or style that you do in comps, but others have similar setups. I know a few people here who may have better advice than me, but I'll let them speak up and take a shot myself:

My plan was/is to do the pork (butts and ribs) on the WSM and timing my ribs to hit the smoker when the butts go to foil so I can bump the smoke up without overdoing the butts.

That's a good plan. Personally, I don't like ever depending on one meat to get finished in time to make room for a second, because meats will take longer. I have two thoughts here: I would put the foiled butts on the top rack, over the ribs from a scheduling point of view so that as soon as the butts are finished, you can take them off without having to take the ribs out. On the other hand, things may cook better if you put the forgiving, foiled butts on bottom and ribs on top.

Can I leave a brisket rest for 3+hrs without it overcooking itself??

Holding a brisket for 3-4 hours shouldn't be a problem, but let it cool off some before moving from cooker to holder.

dmp

Pigs on Fire
06-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Yes, you are fine resting the brisket that long. Just make sure you don't overcook it in the first place.

Your butts could go on whenever you want and could be foiled long before the ribs go on. Same goes for the butts resting- 3 hours or more is fine, just watch them for doneness.

Sounds like you've got the cooker coordination plan down. Just take care of the rest and it will go fine.

dhuffjr
06-15-2012, 10:27 AM
As others have said your fine on holding the meat. I overnight the pork/brisket on two larges and do ribs/chicken on them in the morning. When things are not done to my satisfaction I foil them and pile pork/brisket in one Egg while ribs go on the other.

"Holy Smokes"
06-15-2012, 11:32 AM
This will be my set-up for a while. Thanks for all the info.

lcbateman3
06-15-2012, 01:20 PM
All I suggest is practice practice and practice. Once you have your timing down, practice it again.

MyHeartagram
06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
I use 2 WSM's 22.5. Like everyone else said, big meats on friday night, and ribs chicken on the morning. Just be prepared to modify accordingly, sometimes the big meats stall and won't be done at the time you initally thought.

The only thing I have really learned is, you just have to be able to make it work when things don't happen as planned. GL!

Candy Sue
06-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd try the brisket/butts in the wsm and do ribs & chicken in the egg. Pork fat rules when it drops on brisket! Practice and good luck!