PDA

View Full Version : your first compition what went wrong

rgrizzle
06-13-2012, 06:08 PM
I am prepairing for my first comp. coming in September, and was wondering from some of you that have done this awhile, what was the worst thing that happend at your first comp?

landarc
06-13-2012, 06:14 PM
I turned in slightly raw chicken

Harbormaster
06-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I bought a box of thighs, about 20 lbs, they were frozen and we could not find 6 pieces that were similar.
They got over cooked, and the skin was rubbery. So we turned in skinless thighs. I still can't fathom how they were not DAL.
We did get a comment card though, praising us for the "perfect bite through skin".:loco:

rgrizzle
06-13-2012, 06:35 PM
chicken has been at the top of my list. Still trying to fine tune it. Gonna try again this weekend

Still Smokin
06-13-2012, 07:17 PM
1st comp, I had my charcoal chimney on a fish fry burner, lighting some coals and I fell asleep and it started a small grass fire + ribs were undercooked.

2nd comp, I forgot my sink and hoses, and my ribs were undercooked.

3rd comp, my ribs were undercooked.

Got 1st in ribs this weekend, problem solved.

Alexa RnQ
06-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I think the standout moment was finding out that our brisket was so spectacularly awful that it left an indelible impression on the head judge (IBCA). See the "What NOT to enter" thread for the humiliating evidence.

Lake Dogs
06-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Wasnt my first nor second... My worst contest was probably my 5th or 6th... Everything was perfect, except... Pork, awesome, but in the confusion it ended up getting pulled then set aside for about 30 minutes before putting in the box. WTF was I thinking?!?! It went out stone cold and gray. Awesome entry when fresh and hot was only middle of the pack after that fubar. Brisket, awesome taste, but overcooked to the point where we had to leave it out to cool so it could firm up a tad to be able to slice it at all. Somehow we did with a razor sharp knife, good cuts. I called it our duct-tape brisket; I have no idea how those slices hung together. Actually got *ok* scores all things considered. It was towards middle, but cooked less (and hot or even luke warm) would've really been a very competitive brisket. Chicken, awesome but slightly overcooked with VERY rubbery skin. I should've sent it out skinless (I didnt check). We were trounced in tenderness, but very good presentation and taste scores. Even with good taste scores we were in the bottom 1/3rd. Ribs, cooked perfectly, sliced perfectly, timed exactly right, went out piping hot. Fantastic appearance and tenderness scores, and 998444 on taste. WTF? One of the slabs was skunky. Didnt know it until afterwards... Thankfully noone was hurt. Never again. I buy only the best from trusted sources. Overall we were WAY down in the bottom third; this after walking in most everthing the previous comps and an RGC in the mix. THUD. Worse, this was an event very close to home; we were known and there were expectations... We FAILED.

Contracted Cookers
06-13-2012, 09:01 PM
got to drunk on Friday night

Bentley
06-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Lets see, at my 1st contest I was still a practicing alcoholic, you can fill in the blanks there. At the awards, I sat in one of the judging chairs, snapped it like a twig, fell backwards and did not even come close to losing a drop of my Miller.

Got a 5th in Pork, 1st in Ribs and 16th in brisket...There were 14 teams entered in the contest.

TKEBH989
06-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Thermometer broke on the smoker and didn't have a back up. Also not keeping track of time.

rgrizzle
06-13-2012, 10:06 PM
got to drunk on Friday night

I'm To afraid of running out of cold adult beverages.

Chipper
06-14-2012, 05:38 AM
We used toothpicks to hold the chicken skin in place and left one in a thigh. DQ.

New Pal Frank
06-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Ran out of chicken rub, but Indianagriller came thru with a half a bottle of what iI was using and saved the day. Thanks again JT.

rksylves
06-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Overslept Saturday morning. I will never forget that 'oh spit' moment thinking that I had totally screwed that comp. Just worked through it as best as I could and ended up in the middle of the pack.

Russ

mobow
06-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Inadequate tie downs for 60 mile hour winds and did not get canopy taken off in time. Ez-ups can fly a pretty good distance in a very short amount of time. keith

Fatback Joe
06-14-2012, 08:29 AM
The worst thing that happened to me was a top 10 in ribs............then I was hooked.

Good luck and have fun.

Stoke&Smoke
06-14-2012, 12:02 PM
I know it isn't what you're asking for, but IMHO, the worst thing you can do at your first comp, is to forget to have fun. Practice lots ahead of time, go in prepared, and just aim to get everything turned in on time, and try not to be DAL in anything. Beyond that, it's all gravy

rgrizzle
06-14-2012, 02:49 PM
everytime I sit and start thinking about the comp we are entering I get nervous just thinking of it. I know I have a good product, just need to be more confident. I really want to think everyone for the info. this is helping me alot. thanks

mobow
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
everytime I sit and start thinking about the comp we are entering I get nervous just thinking of it. I know I have a good product, just need to be more confident. I really want to think everyone for the info. this is helping me alot. thanks

write your time line down. Everything you need to do and when. Will help you not forget something when/if you get flustered. good luck. What is your team name and which contest. I will root for you. keith

didisea
06-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Didn't check the dampers on the WSM after lighting it off and they were closed. It was a SLOW fire.

landarc
06-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Inadequate tie downs for 60 mile hour winds and did not get canopy taken off in time. Ez-ups can fly a pretty good distance in a very short amount of time. keith

and they don't land well.

MyHeartagram
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
the door handle on our WSM broke on our first comp. the washer and nut fell in the fire. we had to use a pair of tongs wedged againts our other WSM to keep the door closed. Then we got a 2nd place call in brisket, and have been hooked ever since

Crash
06-15-2012, 01:55 AM
I failed to count to 6. We met the KCBS rep that day.

RedPig
06-15-2012, 03:47 AM
I waited til the last minute to get my meats. Drove all over town trying to find some decent chicken thighs. Ended up buying cryovacced chicken thighs (goldkist?) at Sams. They were absolutely awful looking. The skin was so thick you'd need a road grader to scrape them adequatley. I did the best I could with them and tried poking the skin with toothpicks to help render the fat. No use. They looked ok, and had bite through skin, but when I bit into one the fatty skin over powered everything. Think I got 33/48. Saving grace was a 5th place walk in brisket, 11th ribs. Learned my lesson about prepping for a contest the hard way.:blabla:

rgrizzle
06-15-2012, 02:38 PM
write your time line down. Everything you need to do and when. Will help you not forget something when/if you get flustered. good luck. What is your team name and which contest. I will root for you. keith

I have started doing a time line and a list of every possible thing that I may need.
Our team name is Hillbilly Konk BBQ. will are shooting for the comp in Kettering/xenia Ohio the end of Sept. or the one in Nellsonville Ohio in Oct.
Bobby

Meat Meets Meat
06-15-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm entering my third season so still learning a lot. But thinking back to our first year, a few things come to mind.

Our boxes look like crap, very messy.

We were very disorganized, lots of misc stuff laying around on our prep table.

Our prep table was too low, which killed our backs.

We had a hair in one of our boxes.

And we stressed out too much, we're doing this for fun after all.

Best if luck in your first comp, you'll be hooked!

parrdist
06-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I won a category and finished 2nd overall. Hooked big time.

bbqfun
06-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Everything everyone said except the part about getting to drunk on Friday night. I started Thursday night!!