PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle your chicken... at comps ?

Pitts
06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Do you take your chicken out of the ice in the cooler and put it on the smoker or let it warm up a bit like other meats ? First comp is next weekend. Just wondering. Thanks.

Parts_Guy
06-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Not sure on others but we do take it out ahead of time to warm up.

Hoggy Style
06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I go straight from cooler to smoker after a quick sprinkle of rub.

boogiesnap
06-13-2012, 12:04 PM
absolutely, positively, straight from cooler to cooker.

AUBBQ
06-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Straight from the cooler! Only out long enough to season and it hits the smoke.

RX2006JE
06-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Straight out the cooler, season and smoke, dont want to risk getting too warm and start growing bacteria

MattG
06-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Straight from cooler to smoker

fnbish
06-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Let the sun marinade it with its warming flavors for a good 3-9hrs :icon_blush:.........though maybe that is why my chicken doesn't do so well :crazy:.

But yeah, it normally comes out and at most sits for 5-10mins if I get distracted by shiny things.

CivilWarBBQ
06-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Let the sun marinade it with its warming flavors for a good 3-9hrs :icon_blush:.........though maybe that is why my chicken doesn't do so well :crazy:.

But yeah, it normally comes out and at most sits for 5-10mins if I get distracted by shiny things.

I'd rather eat chicken that has sat in the sun for a couple hours than that first pack of ribs you guys had in Cornelia! :sick:

fnbish
06-14-2012, 08:00 AM
I'd rather eat chicken that has sat in the sun for a couple hours than that first pack of ribs you guys had in Cornelia! :sick:

Truer words have never been spoken. Our ribs are normally a complete dumpster fire. Cornelia was no exception.

CivilWarBBQ
06-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Hmm... now I'm wondering if I stuck my foot in my mouth while having a senior moment.

Weren't you the guys with that surprise pack of cryo-spoiled ribs up there or am I confusing you with another team?

DawgPhan
06-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Hmm... now I'm wondering if I stuck my foot in my mouth while having a senior moment.

Weren't you the guys with that surprise pack of cryo-spoiled ribs up there or am I confusing you with another team?

I think that you are thinking of Pig Lebowski, he is Tenacious Q.

I like for my chicken to sit out for a couple of hours, uncovered...it helps to tenderize the meat.

fnbish
06-14-2012, 10:53 AM
I think that you are thinking of Pig Lebowski, he is Tenacious Q.

I like for my chicken to sit out for a couple of hours, uncovered...it helps to tenderize the meat.

Yeah it was Pig Lebowski. They were across from me.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-14-2012, 02:22 PM
You can let your chicken sit out, it will only quicken the cooking by about 20 minutes. I wouldnt keep it our all day but an hour or two will not hurt it or anyone. I take my chicken out of the cooler, trim, season and smoke.

CivilWarBBQ
06-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Yeah it was Pig Lebowski. They were across from me.

My bad - sometimes I get the handles mixed up on forums. Much easier to keep it all straight on Facebook!

To further explain for those who weren't there - the ribs came from the store spoiled. Had nothing to do with the team's handling of them, but it did provide a nasty surprise Friday night.