PDA

View Full Version : going down swinging

rxcellentq
06-11-2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=612&pictureid=5884

looking to develope a new dessert entry to compete against cheesecakes
has anyone tried to enter pies? I baked both apple and pecan tonight. Apple needs work, top crust not right but bottom was good and taste was nice. Pecan was great.

Q-Dat
06-11-2012, 09:57 PM
I think you should make Apple Pie, but make the top lattice out of Pig Candy instead of dough.

Still Smokin
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM
If you use fresh apples, it is hard to beat an aple pie

TooSaucedToPork
06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Maybe Apple Pie Cheesecake? hehe

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Just be sure they are green apples. Red do not bake well. Pecan looks killer to heck with a cheesecake.

chzhed
06-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Just curious, what kind of cooker did you use to bake them?

ParkAvenue_2
06-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Those pies look awesome.

If I were a judge at a contest, I'd be looking for the best tasting fresh fruit pie I could find. Blueberry, Cherry, maybe even peach if seasoned correctly.

We have tried pies in the dessert category at several comps, however, and it seems that most judges prefer ooey, gooey sticky, extremely rich something or other. Most of the time, that's cheesecake.

Alexa RnQ
06-12-2012, 09:05 AM
If I remember correctly, didn't Miss Trish Trigg used to cut a swath with pecan pie? In this area, one lady is legendary for her Snickers pie.

If I were going to try to get out of the cheesecake/chocolate rut, in the middle of the summer, I would try the richest, lightest fresh-peach shortcakes that I could turn out.

G$
06-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I can't really help with your specific question, but I can say, with all inappropriate preconceptions firmly in place, that I would select a pecan pie like the one above (especially if you figure out how to serve it with cream) over a cheesecake 10 times out of 10.

rxcellentq
06-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Baked in a 22 inch weber kettle. I'm waiting to try a bourbon peach pie but it's too soon for any good peaches in NY. I was considering a nice scoop of icecream but worried judges would bang me if it fully melted. Would they consider it a sauce or just a melted mess

Curling Q
06-12-2012, 03:58 PM
I agree with the scoop of ice cream idea. My team recently wrestled with this same question. We ended up adding a scoop of ice cream to a pound cake covered with smoked peaches in a carmel sauce. The ice cream ended up completing the desert and making it whole. I am a firm believer that after a judge has eaten all that meat they want something cool and creamy. We solved the ice cream melting issue by designating a team member to get the ice cream to the prep area at the last possible moment to keep it as frozen as possible.

Bentley
06-12-2012, 04:00 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/2010RoyalandBeyond/IMG_1252-1.jpg

most judges prefer ooey, gooey sticky, extremely rich something or other. Most of the time, that's cheesecake.

Well, putting on my judges hat...I love fruit, when I eat it I eat it, I want it ice cold, just the way I prefer it. I dont want it baked so that it is turned into mush...Just my personal prefference. I like pecan pie, but it still is not gonna beat cheesecake.

Since Dessert & Anything butt have nothing to do with KCBS judging rules I will let my personal prefferences run wild!

I can assure you if you put a cheesecake, fruit pie & pecan pie in front of me, unless the pie's can make me pizza and rub my feet, the cheesecake is gonna win my vote.

Guess you just need to know your judging pool, but I tend to agree with ParkAvenue, it sure applies to me.

Hope the input helped.

You could always try a pecan cheesecake, this got 38th or 41st at 2010 Royal, can never remember...

Corky
06-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Chocolate Bottom Pecan Pie (layer of chocolate chips at the bottom before the filling goes on and then drizzle the top with white and dark chocolate) might work well.

rxcellentq
06-12-2012, 05:04 PM
If that pie was around 40th I need to stop making dessert. can anybody help with my brisket!!

Bentley
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
If that pie was around 40th I need to stop making dessert. can anybody help with my brisket!!

I am fairly slow, but I am gonna show this comment to my sister and I think it bring a simle to her face.

She made this for the team based on Debs recipe posted on Pelletheads.com. I think it got two 8/s and the rest 9's...There were like 8 or 9 180's in 2010...That is when she said that dessert at the Royal was a whole new level of competition...

Goddahavit
06-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Just a heads up but we did apple pie and ice cream, it was good to us, Sammi made it in levittown... still wound up 6th.

I personally hate ancillary categories, but i know some really make some cash on them.

Jaskew82
06-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I think you should make Apple Pie, but make the top lattice out of Pig Candy instead of dough.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/393/shutupmoney.jpg

Q-Dat
06-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Haha Brother I can't quite tell if you think that sounds great or horrible!

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
If you want to keep something frozen put a layer of dry ice in bottom of cooler. That's what we do on weekend hunting trips and it works great.

Rookie'48
06-12-2012, 09:19 PM
A little tip on the dry ice / ice cream thing - make your scoops at home before placing in the dry ice. It's not pretty to see a fat guy trying to slice, scoop or cut ice cream in 98* heat right after it comes out of the dry ice.

Don't ask how I know this :oops:.

rxcellentq
06-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I am fairly slow, but I am gonna show this comment to my sister and I think it bring a simle to her face.

She made this for the team based on Debs recipe posted on Pelletheads.com. I think it got two 8/s and the rest 9's...There were like 8 or 9 180's in 2010...That is when she said that dessert at the Royal was a whole new level of competition...

This was not intended to insult her. I can't belivieve there where 30 something better entries!! I don't know many profesional bakers with a commercial oven that could make something that nice.

TeamRamRod
06-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Pies are my specialty, add some Caramel to the apples and it will put it over the top. Ice cream caramel is just fine. Now for the crust, when you get it rolled out put melted butter, cinnamon, and sugar on it. Roll it up like cinnamon rolls, cut about 1/2" width then press in the pie plate. Not only does it look pretty but taste yummy. My secret to pecan pie is I don't use corn syrup like normal recipes.

Tack
06-13-2012, 07:00 AM
I agree with Goddahavit. I prefer not to do the ancillary catagories. I have enough trouble with the four main ones.

rxcellentq
06-13-2012, 08:03 AM
She made this for the team based on Debs recipe posted on Pelletheads.com. I think it got two 8/s and the rest 9's...There were like 8 or 9 180's in 2010...That is when she said that dessert at the Royal was a whole new level of competition...[/QUOTE]

how do they decide the winner when 9 teams score 180? I think I would shoot myself if I ever got a perfect score and a 9th place ribbon.

G$
06-13-2012, 09:18 AM
A little tip on the dry ice / ice cream thing - make your scoops at home before placing in the dry ice. It's not pretty to see a fat guy trying to slice, scoop or cut ice cream in 98* heat right after it comes out of the dry ice..

And you could also deep freeze real whipped cream in a similar manner. Piped even.

Muzzlebrake
06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Im confused, are some of you saying that a poorly executed cheesecake beats a well executed pie or fruit dessert?

Candy Sue
06-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I landed first in dessert with an apple pie at the Russellville, AR American Bass Anglers event sponsored by Early Times whiskey (Nov. 2009). Cooked on-site from scratch, turned in whole (afraid to cut it!). Put 6 plates with a pre-frozen scoop of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. 2 mini bottles of Early Times on the top crust artfully arranged. Photo made the cover of Bass Anglers magazine!

Goddahavit
06-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Im confused, are some of you saying that a poorly executed cheesecake beats a well executed pie or fruit dessert?

I dont know if they were poorly done or not, i do know our pie was good, with cold ice cream as well..

fnbish
06-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Ha! Futurama is awesome.

Bentley
06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
how do they decide the winner when 9 teams score 180? I think I would shoot myself if I ever got a perfect score and a 9th place ribbon.

You will love this one then...Last year there were twelve 180's...Two were Perfect 180's that means 999 six times...ITC1 from team Pelletheads.com was one of those 2 Perfect 180's...He lost the computer coin toss and goes down in the record books as finishing 2nd with a Farken Perfect 180 mind you! 1st time the guy ever enter a Dessert Contest!

Hey, at least he got a pin!

rxcellentq
06-14-2012, 07:37 AM
You will love this one then...Last year there were twelve 180's...Two were Perfect 180's that means 999 six times...ITC1 from team Pelletheads.com was one of those 2 Perfect 180's...He lost the computer coin toss and goes down in the record books as finishing 2nd with a Farken Perfect 180 mind you! 1st time the guy ever enter a Dessert Contest!

Hey, at least he got a pin!

So after comparing judge 6 scores ties are decided by coin toss! I gues I should read all of the rules. That is brutal.