PDA

View Full Version : Rate this pork box

Pig Daddy
06-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Hoping some Brethren can give me guidance on upping my appearance scores. Turned this in last weekend and received 7, 8, 6, 7, 8, 8. Thank you!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/gebackyardbbq/Pork_Turn-In.jpg

hamiltont
06-11-2012, 12:09 PM
That's an interesting presentation. About the only thing that would cause me to score it down is that some of the bark appears to be charred. Maybe just a lot of sugar in the rub? Based on the pic I'd probably go 7-8. The 6 might have been a bit tough but it was thrown out anyway. How did you do for taste & texture? Cheers!!!

chzhed
06-11-2012, 12:17 PM
IMHO, you're money slices look really good. The pile in the middle looks like it was molded in a cup. I've always liked a more natural pile of shreds if we use them. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.

boogiesnap
06-11-2012, 12:22 PM
presentation might be a bit unorthodox, but the meat looks really good. betcha in person those charred portions looked alot better.

8-9.

Lake Dogs
06-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Where I tend to disagree with Jon a little on the MM. It's particularly dark, and is starting to look like a pile of feces. Just "feather" it (is that the right term?) showing some of the inside of the MM as the pieces lay across one another, much like you'd do brisket slices.

The pile in the middle would look better more natural.

I'd probably have judged this a 7 in appearance. The pic may be a bit dark though; if lighter color in person and not looking so charred, probably an 8.

Pig Daddy
06-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the comments. I tend to agree with needing a more natural look. The photo was taken from my cell phone. My taste and tenderness scores were mainly 7s and a couple of 6s. In my opinion, the pork was tender and where it needed to be. Not sure what I could have done differently there. It wasn't mushy and had texture. Taste is subjective; I just need to figure out what all they are looking for, cause in my opinion, it was very good.

Jaskew82
06-11-2012, 04:00 PM
I'd give it an 8. Mostly for originality but the molded circle design does weird me out a little. But that could just be me. I know I am contradicting myself, I guess because I can't figure out if I love it or hate it.

Either way, intriguing.

porkingINpublic
06-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Did you foil it when the IT hit 160*?

bbq.tom
06-11-2012, 09:02 PM
I like the layout of the box; however, the meat looks black - charred to me. I hate to say it, but if I'd judged this box for appearance I would have given it a 6 at most. 6="average", but I can't see where this is "above average" = 7 or better. IMHO.

Pig Daddy
06-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Did you foil it when the IT hit 160*?

Yep, foiled it at 160. I cooked it at an average temp of 265. I guess I never realized that dark bark was a bad thing. The bark was not burned, although I must admit, it does look that way it in the pic. What color do you all look for, mahogany?

Any suggestions as to what the ideal internal temp of the mm and horn meat should be when pulling it from the smoker?

RibnOneOff
06-12-2012, 08:01 AM
My useless opinion would be that I am also a little put off by the molded meat although I do like the uniqueness of it all. Assuming that the charred looking pieces are just color being off in pic and maybe that those are not really pieces of yellowed garnish at the top I would say a solid 7. If the garnish were neater and no molded look I may easily go to an 8. Just hard to tell for sure from a pic.