PDA

View Full Version : KCBS and IBCA

FireTowerBBQ
06-11-2012, 08:08 AM
This is only my 2nd year competing. I probably compete half and half (KCBS / IBCA). I usually get a call in at least one category at events. But I'm starting to realize that I have to cook differently for two organizations. For example, when cooking ribs for IBCA I don't seem to do as well if I cook them where I can bite the rib and it leaves teeth marks. I seem to do better if they're falling off the bone. Same with brisket. It seems IBCA wants brisket very tender and KCBS wants a little resistance, but not much. What are your thoughts??

Dustaway
06-11-2012, 08:21 AM
yes its two different worlds kcbs each judge get his or hers own piece to sample. in IBCA they use a plastic knife and fork.

so the next time you practice for IBCA do a rib both ways a kcbs texture and then a IBCA texture then get yourself a plastic knife and fork and try to cut each one.

also you might want to see what your product taste like on the cool side because in IBCA the time from when you turn in and when it makes the final round can be close to thirty minutes depending on the size of the contest and how much help the head judge has in the judging area.

Lake Dogs
06-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Similar differences across sanctioning bodies. They do not define tenderness requirements the same, nor do they (as in the example above) take your entries to tables the same, or judge the same, etc. Different sanctioning bodies; different standards. Frankly, in IBCA, MIM, MBN, GBA, and many others if your BBQ doesnt taste great luke warm you're in trouble. Also, as they cool they tend to firm up a little...

Q-Dat
06-11-2012, 08:22 PM
I plan to do some IBCA for the first time this fall. I have been told by some VERY successfull IBCA cooks, that when they say that the judges tend to like it a little more tender than KCBS, that its an understatement! One even told me that he has cooked his ribs to the point where he actually had to slide the bones back in place, and then scored well with them.