PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Class best cooking classes

BigdaddyBBQ
06-10-2012, 12:40 PM
i want some opinions on which are the best cooking classes to take

MilitantSquatter
06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
This could be very subjective depending on what you are hoping to achieve, and define as "best" ?

- Are you looking for exact winning recipes & processes ?
- someone who cooks on the same style pit ?
- understanding of reasoning certain processes are used ?
- hands on or watching demo only ?

link to diva q's website summarizes many of them

http://divaq.ca/bbq-cooking-classes-great-gifts-for-all

BigdaddyBBQ
06-10-2012, 02:12 PM
right now i am debating either pellet envy or butchers bbq they are both very excellent teams personally im not a bad cook i do very well but i have never taken a class and i think both could easily turn a good cook into a great cook

CBQ
06-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Best advice I ever got was take a class a year. You will learn less the more you do it, but I have learned something new that has helped me at every class.

monty3777
06-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Cancer Sucks. The class doesn't.
Cancer Sucks Chicago. Scottie is a member here. Lot's of other classes, but because I haven't attended them I'll let others speak up who have.

Still Smokin
06-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I liked Myrons class, you will learn alot

mclancey
06-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I've attended 3 classes and The Butcher's/Fast Eddy's class was by far the best I've been to, I'm thinking about taking the class again this year. You will learn a lot.

chzhed
06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Hey Mike, can you give any more info on the other ones you took? I'm thinking about taking another class this winter, and I'm not really sure which one yet. I'm not looking for bashing of any one class, just trying to figure which will be best for our team's style and set up. Thanks.

Smokin Hoggz
06-12-2012, 11:28 AM
i want some opinions on which are the best cooking classes to take

The Chris Hart Competition BBQ Class, very detailed and extremely informative!!!

HarleyGirl14226
06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
The Chris Hart Competition BBQ Class, very detailed and extremely informative!!!

I second that - we took the class this past "off season" and found the class to be well worth the money spent.

Chris goes through everything from meat selection and great places to buy some of your supplies, trimming, seasoning, cooking and then finally presentation. He encouraged questions, pics and videos in class - and followed up after the class with some answers he said he would get to all of us.

Plus I got him to autograph his Wicked Good cookbook for me! :becky:

Podge
06-12-2012, 01:07 PM
I hope to some day take Myron's class.

Slamdunkpro
06-12-2012, 01:35 PM
I've been to three:

Chris Hart's (Ique)
Todd Johns (Plowboys)
Myron's (Jack's Old South) disclaimer - I cook with Myron and go down and assist in his class from time to time.

All three helped me in various ways and were well worth the price of admission. With Myron you get both MiM and KCBS and it's hands on. Chris and Todd host excellent classes and imho are a little more up on the newer KCBS trends.

Sledneck
06-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Jimmy brod smokin Cracker/everglades seasoning

Hot Sauce Hoss
06-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I just took Pellet Envys class this past weekend and thoght it was
top notch. Rod was a very good teacher/instructor and we covered all
the bases. I would recomend it to anyone.

Hoss

lcbbq
06-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Would highly recommend the butcher/fast eddy class. You get 2 different perspectives from one class from 2 great cooks. David goes into a lot of detail on techniques.

monty3777
06-13-2012, 07:13 AM
I should also add that Joe Beland (TippyCanoe) and Ryan Newstrom (Big T's) have begun offering classes. My neighbor took it this year, but since he won't kick any of what he learned my way it's hard for me to comment :) However, since they are both Iowans it's hard to imagine a better class - since we all know Iowa BBQ rules the world. Todd Johns (Plowboys) is a former Iowan, I think, so I bet his class is pretty good, too.

I should have said more about Scottie's class in my first response. To begin, he has had Mike from Quau at the last several classes - so that means you have two Jack Daniel's champions as teachers. Apart from the awesome instruction all the money you spend on the class goes towards Scottie's foundation and helps fight the war on cancer.

With that said, I'd gladly spend top dollar for Joe and Ryan's class. Todd's class is on my short list, as is the Butcher class. I am probably leaving some classes out so if you teach one and I didn't mention it that's only because I am having a hard time remembering all the classes out there.

Sledneck
06-13-2012, 07:47 AM
2nd the tippy big tz class. We had a class recently in Connecticut. Very detailed. In the last month or so they have 5 gcs between them

AUBBQ
06-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Iíve been to two classes so far: Swamp Boys and Myronís. They were very different, but great and well worth the $ to me.

There are so many good classes out there right now itís crazy! Iíd like to take another one sometime next yr. At this point Iím not sure which one, depends on the logistics.