PDA

View Full Version : Famous Dave's is Opening Soon ~ How Do You Like 'em?

thirdeye
06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
We only have two BBQ joints, one is famous for food poisoning, and the other gets better reviews for mac-n-cheese than the meats. (it is good mac).

Today I see a Famous Dave's is coming to town. I saw Dave on one of the competition TV shows, and I will use one of his sauces in a pinch..... but I'm curious about the restaurant chain in general?

Meat Meets Meat
06-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Hit and miss. You'll rarely get BBQ at a restaurant as good as you can cook yourself.

cgwaite
06-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I like the ones that I have eaten at, but I hear there can be a bit of difference in the service level. It Commercial BBQ, but usually it's pretty decent. It won't match what you can make at home. I do like their sauces, specifically Devil's Spit. Let us know how yours is when it opens.

Boshizzle
06-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I order the sausage and brisket at my local FD's. I don't think the local FD has anyone in staff that can cook.

Smokendink71
06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
They are ok if you don't feel like doing it yourself, but as Jim Carrey says in liar liar "I've had better"

caliking
06-07-2012, 11:05 PM
I like the ones that I have eaten at, but I hear there can be a bit of difference in the service level. It Commercial BBQ, but usually it's pretty decent. It won't match what you can make at home. I do like their sauces, specifically Devil's Spit. Let us know how yours is when it opens.

+1. I have eaten at Famous Dave's once and it was ok. I was unlearned in the ways of Q back then, but I don't recall it as being bad. I may think differently now.

But I do think the sauces are pretty good for the mass produced readily available kind. I like to spike Sweet & Zesty (or is it Sweet and Sassy?) with Devil's Spit to make a sauce with some zing.

Badgeman
06-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Relatively uninspired, chain BBQ. Generally overcooked in my opinion.

Wampus
06-07-2012, 11:12 PM
+1. I have eaten at Famous Dave's once and it was ok. I was unlearned in the ways of Q back then, but I don't recall it as being bad. I may think differently now.

But I do think the sauces are pretty good for the mass produced readily available kind. I like to spike Sweet & Zesty (or is it Sweet and Sassy?) with Devil's Spit to make a sauce with some zing.

It's Sweet & Sassy I'm pretty sure. I really like the Apricot Bourbon sauce too.

I've been there a couple of times. Decent, but pretty typical commerical chain BBQ fair. Likely depends on service and all. Nothing bad about it, but nothing spectacular either.

kujay
06-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah I'm fine with it. Nothing great but as chains go its probably above average.

Hozman
06-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Well if you want fast, ok mexican go to taco bell, you want fast ok BBQ go to Daves. I don't care for it. My parents have one where they live in Montana and like it so they always take us there.

Jethro608
06-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Lunch beats Mc. Don. Little slow but you can get in & out in time.
The longer they are ther the more the big smokers get seasoned. So in time will do in a pinch

bigabyte
06-07-2012, 11:17 PM
The bbq was uninspired, and I got a little of everything to try it out. My wife ordered some steak special they had, and I remember wishing I had ordered that instead.

RAZORBACK JIM
06-07-2012, 11:28 PM
The bbq beans are killer...other than that just OK.

Sub-80
06-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Agree that it's hit and miss...I've mainly missed unfortunately.

thirdeye
06-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the comments....., I wasn't getting my hopes up too high. I know a couple of under-employed chefs that might have put in an application for management positions (neither is admitting to it yet).

Midnight Smoke
06-08-2012, 12:35 AM
It will be all across the board on answers. You ask here and will get the "It's just OK" Ask someone that does not enjoy Q as much as us and the answer could be much different. I have been a couple times, it is clean and comfortable, the food was not terrible. Try the Spicy Sweet Pickles, to me they are pretty good!

PatioDaddio
06-08-2012, 03:09 AM

Dave's Devil's Spit is awesome!

John

nexpress
06-08-2012, 06:09 AM
I did like the cornbread when I went.

WineMaster
06-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Its a good resturant. Thats what you get. Resturant food. I like the brisket & catfish.

cgwaite
06-08-2012, 10:55 AM
I know a couple of under-employed chefs that might have put in an application for management positions (neither is admitting to it yet).

Best of luck to your "under-employed" chefs. Hope they are fully employed soon!

Bigdog
06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Not great BBQ but decent. About as good as it gets for franchised Q.

hamiltont
06-08-2012, 01:24 PM
The food is edible. Prolly isn't going to WOW you but how many restaurants do that anyway. They have a pretty strong following at the ones I've eaten at. Always seemed to be busy. IMO the Bread Pudding is pretty darn good! Cheers!!!

jim7226
06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Not as good as the BBQ I produce, but occasionally my family likes to go out and we find Famous Dave's a very acceptable place to dine. Love the chili.

bdadams84
07-16-2012, 07:52 PM
It's ok. I was actually surprised by their brisket last time we went. It wasn't great, but it was good for restaurant BBQ in Maryland. Home cooked is the best, but there have got to be some places to find GREAT BBQ without having to do all the labor yourself E-V-E-R-Y time you want GREAT Q. Unfortunatly we don't have the little hole-in-the-wall BBQ joints that I had growing up outside of Houston.

btcg
07-17-2012, 09:14 AM
We have one here in the Kentlands that is literally 3 minutes away, and I don't have to leave our PUD (planned urban developement), as it's within the walls of our mini-city.

Two issues: keg beer sucks, they don't clean their lines often, and when they do, they don't do a good job. Order a Bud on tap: Bud actually comes in and cleans the restaurants lines, to ensure the Bud products are good. But they only do their own lines. Had a Bud there last week: it was supurb.

Lastly: BBQ is 2nd to 3rd rate. I order their tenderloin steak cubes, or chicken wings. Lately, it's been the steak: they grill it, so it's good.

Now, I too, am a BBQ snob. My food I make these days is just so good, I prefer it to most restaurant BBQ. Not to say if we drove by Big Bob Gibsons, I wouldn't eat some Q, I would. But places like FD's: no thanks. Give me the steaK instead.

2Fat
07-17-2012, 03:40 PM
bread pudding rocks!!

farklf
07-22-2012, 11:01 AM
wow. I like Famous Dave's. I've had the chicken, ribs, rib tips, catfish, beans and potatoe salad. It's feels like home cooking to me. Good music. Good beer. and good food. Not great but good. I love going to Famous Dave's.

markdtn
08-09-2012, 01:00 PM
It's above average for a chain. If I have to eat BBQ that I don't cook, that is where it will be. We have a Smokey Bones, but I only eat the "buffaque"wings and with a $5 coupon it's hard to beat. I don't eat BBQ at either Smokey Bones or Sticky Fingers. At Famous Daves I get the rib tips and brisket. The chicken is also pretty good. The pulled pork is just OK. Not a big fan of the sausage. The fries are excellent. My opinion a decent place to go if you don't want to cook it yourself.

Plowboy
08-09-2012, 01:20 PM
I think Famous Daves is really good BBQ each time I've eaten there. They've probably done more for brining BBQ to the masses since KC Masterpiece in the 80's. Chain doesn't mean worse than local. There are a LOT of local mom'n'pop BBQ joints that suck. YMMV, but I think they are doing real Southern BBQ at Famous Dave's.

Plowboy
08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Dave's Devil's Spit is awesome!

John

I can't even do much of their hot sauce. How that chit is hot!