PDA

View Full Version : Cooler for resting meats??

AustinKnight
06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
So I was going to buy a insulated food carrier of some sort, but the misses ain't having that (it's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission:what:). So anyway I'm at a job site I worked on two weeks ago and this Coleman xtream 120Q is still up here and hasn't moved, I was seeing if this is any good for resting briskets and butts anyone have one/use one for resting? I know any cooler will work if you stuff enough towels in it for resting food this one will be free and I'll come back up here Friday an pick it up if it's still here most likely it will.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d03656d0-d8fd-a0a8.jpg

boogiesnap
06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
i use coleman extreme 7 day coolers and they work very very well. i would imagine this one would too.

Midnight Smoke
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
I think any good cooler would work fine. That one looks very big so 1 Butt would really need a lot of Towels or Blankets to take up the dead air space.

TIMMAY
06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
I pretty much any cooler that will fit the amount of meat and towel wrap works for me. but yea putting one piece of meat in a huge cooler don't quite work.

hogzgonewild
06-07-2012, 01:04 PM
I have that exact cooler in White/Blue that I rest my meat in. I did add 4 speakers to the outside and an amplifier with car battery that takes up a little space, but I put one moving blanket in the bottom, and one over the meat, and it will hold for at least 6-8 hours. I've taken my butts/brisket off at a competition at 2am, and they were still too hot to touch at noon!

AustinKnight
06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I have that exact cooler in White/Blue that I rest my meat in. I did add 4 speakers to the outside and an amplifier with car battery that takes up a little space, but I put one moving blanket in the bottom, and one over the meat, and it will hold for at least 6-8 hours. I've taken my butts/brisket off at a competition at 2am, and they were still too hot to touch at noon!

Lol my buddy wanted to make a radio cooler out of it, but what you did with yours is the best of both worlds you have any pics?

Thx for the replies brothas.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
How do you rest meat in a cooler? wouldnt that be holding?

AustinKnight
06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
How do you rest meat in a cooler? wouldnt that be holding?

Kinda the samething to me really, I rest/hold briskets/butts for several hours to re distribute the juices. A lot to my cooking involves long rest/hold times mainly for briskets in a smaller cooler for paying folks.

mcbrew13
06-07-2012, 01:54 PM
I use a Coleman like that for my holding. Assuming it is the same size (not sure?), it works well. I looked for one large enough to hold full size pans. I just line the bottom with newspaper (easy cleanup/just in case). And place some large towels over the meat. I usually do 2 packer and 2 butts. Never had a problem holding temp.

colonel00
06-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I use a large cooler like that. Here is a tip, if you can find one, get a mover's pad (blanket) and fold it up to fit in the cooler. One thick, quilted pad takes up just about all the room in my cooler and really insulates the meat. I fold the pad lengthwise and then layer it in the cooler. When it comes time to put the meat in, I just pull back two layers and in it goes with the layers back on top.

Jaskew82
06-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I use a large cooler like that. Here is a tip, if you can find one, get a mover's pad (blanket) and fold it up to fit in the cooler. One thick, quilted pad takes up just about all the room in my cooler and really insulates the meat. I fold the pad lengthwise and then layer it in the cooler. When it comes time to put the meat in, I just pull back two layers and in it goes with the layers back on top.

I do a very similar thing but use old towels. Not as well insulated as the movers blankets but works well.

Mr. 2LM
06-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Coolers work great, I use ones with wheels, so I use them for carrying gear to and from the comps. I fill mine with crumpled newspaper, which is a great insulator and when the meat leaks (as it ALWAYS does) you jsut throw away the paper, no laundry necessary.

AustinKnight
06-07-2012, 02:31 PM

That's how I do it as well with the same kinda blue mover/packing blankets they work great brotha:thumbup:

hogzgonewild
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/aee486d0-f46a-42f0.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aee486d0-f4c6-569d.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aee486d0-f4ed-139b.jpg

INmitch
06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
I use 3 28qt coolers. 1 each for briskets, butts, MM butts. Works well as long as everyone knows whats in what. Liberty IN buddy shredded my $ muscle:mmph::evil:.

hogzgonewild
06-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I posted the pictures from my phone, so I'll explain here:

Picture 1: I mounted a battery box to the top side and used a Pyle 800watt marine amplifier that hooks straight into the battery. I had all of the speaker wires come out via one whole in the inner layer and then put heat-shrink tubing around them and silicone to make it water tight.

Picture 2: I used a CD to cut out the 4 speaker holes, then ran the cables into the foam to the one inside hole. I also mounted 3" casters on the bottom for easy movement.

Picture 3: The amp came with a AUX input and Volume control that you can mount on the outside of the cooler for control

The way I have it set up, I can still use it as a cooler or meat cooler and a radio! I even added 2 blue lights on the inside for cool effect!

With a marine battery, I can get at least 20 hours of music on a charge. I can't even turn it above 1/4 volume at a competition...

AustinKnight
06-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I posted the pictures from my phone, so I'll explain here:

Picture 1: I mounted a battery box to the top side and used a Pyle 800watt marine amplifier that hooks straight into the battery. I had all of the speaker wires come out via one whole in the inner layer and then put heat-shrink tubing around them and silicone to make it water tight.

Picture 2: I used a CD to cut out the 4 speaker holes, then ran the cables into the foam to the one inside hole. I also mounted 3" casters on the bottom for easy movement.

Picture 3: The amp came with a AUX input and Volume control that you can mount on the outside of the cooler for control

The way I have it set up, I can still use it as a cooler or meat cooler and a radio! I even added 2 blue lights on the inside for cool effect!

With a marine battery, I can get at least 20 hours of music on a charge. I can't even turn it above 1/4 volume at a competition...

Nice brotha thanks for the info your cooler looks cool as hell, I might have to try this out. My buddy makes really loud radio coolers but yours is more of my liking he has subs on his :screwy: here is a pic of one he made he wanted to play around with fiberglass it's heavy as hell lol not the nicest looking either "silver surfer"

http://img.tapatalk.com/d03656d0-5012-cd25.jpg

LMAJ
06-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Thought you were joking about the radio....

Big Country BBQ
06-07-2012, 11:50 PM
not going to lie one of those warm boxes work grat for us you can put ice in it to get it cold or hot peice of meat to keep warm for about 2-5 hours depending on how much you open the door

Poker Smoker
06-08-2012, 05:27 AM
A $15 cooler and some old towels hold meat for hours.

luke duke
06-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Here's a forum dedicated to cooler radios. There are some really nice ones on there.

http://www.motorboatyourself.com/forum/

http://www.motorboatyourself.com/pics/3.0_build_4forum/85_add_speakers.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/the_chickeneye/cooler%20stereo%20build/15707fb9.jpg