PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club EZ Up Awning quality?

smokeyw
06-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I saw these today and it looked like a decent deal for $199. Does anyone have any experience with them? I know EZ Up makes a lot of different models of varying quality. I would like to get 2 of them to put together for competitions if the quality is decent.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod711059

caseydog
06-05-2012, 06:00 PM
EZ-Up is a good brand. I've had mine for over six years. I don't know which model this Sam's unit is. Probably an Eclipse. I have an Enterprise.

CD

Rich Parker
06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Sam's ez ups are solid and good quality.

Red Valley BBQ
06-05-2012, 06:07 PM
We have one. Like any other ez-up you half to take care of it (not letting it blow away in tornado-like conditions, not putting it away wet, etc.), but it is a good canopy. We are currently on our third season of competition with it. A good buy for $199.

King Canopy is another good choice. The one we have from them has almost 2" diameter legs and is made of what seems to be aircraft aluminum. They are a bit pricey, but are much sturdier than the Sam's Club ones. The Goliath canopy is the closest one I could find to the one we have. http://www.kingcanopy.com/content/goliath-instant.asp

Big Mike
06-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I bought mine at Sams 6 years ago and it is still going strong.

Crash
06-06-2012, 05:41 AM
I echo the other folks. We've had two EZ Ups for the past 5 years that get heavily used. Only complaint is that the seams on the walls got a little torn up in prolonged high wind situations. I suppose that's to be expected.

Stoke&Smoke
06-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Have had 3 EZ-ups from Sam's in 5 years. 1 Was wrecked pretty good in a microburst. But I take some of the blame as we should have had it lowered, and anchored better. The second was a lighter model, frame just around the outside, no inner support. JUNK

The one (sill ez-up) we use now has gone strong over 4 years. 1 mod was we purchased 8x10 canvas tarps that we hang with ball tire to the frame. They help keep it anchored, and work much better than original walls. They are also flame retardant. We also filled 4" PVC tubes with concrete, with an eye bolt for corner anchors. We've been through some pretty strong storms and it hangs tough!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

gmholler
06-06-2012, 08:00 AM
We've had ours for 4-5 years, and it survived cooking Tropical Storm Lee last year - tho we just had to replace the top pole and part of the side after a direct gust of wind hit it earlier this year. I started asking when judging MBN onsite back in 2007, and every team I asked suggested the same canopy; the walls that come with it have been great, too - tho they're a little much to deal with when you're kinda short(5' 4") like I am...

Lynn H.

musicmanryann
06-06-2012, 08:09 AM
I have gone through 3 in as many years. They are mostly good, but not made for heavy duty use every weekend, imo. Seems the most vulnerable parts are the seams at the walls (especially where the velcro is sewn in that wraps around the legs) and the side cross bars where they attach to one another. You just have to be careful that you set them up and tear them down carefully and per the instructions. If I had to do it all over again I likely would have invested in an aluminum one--either EZ Up's heavy duty model or Impact Canopy. If your budget doesn't allow for one of those the Sam's model work well and EZ Up does sell replacement parts on their website.

smokeyw
06-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the information. I did find out that the model is the Encore II made exclusively for Sam's Club, and it seems to have had some upgrades in the last couple of years. It has a heavier top and alumminum legs. Some of the telescoping parts appear that they may be aluminum as well. I think I will bite the bullet and go ahead and buy 2 of them. It seems like a good deal for the money. Thanks again.

Brisket Bob
06-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I have one without the awning. It's heads and shoulders better than any other canopy I've ever had.

Jeffp
06-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I bought one last year and just added a second this week. They are great.

EarlyBird
06-07-2012, 08:22 AM
I have purchase 3 of them from Sam's online auction site. In the off-season you can find them for as little as $105. Lost one in Great Bend, KS when the wind changed directions. The other two still work fine. Don't use them much anymore, just the awning on the RV works for me.

BurntFinger_Jason
06-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Check out the brand Undercover. Their professional model is supposed to be comparable to the high end EZup, but at a much lower price. I just went through the same thing with looking at all of the different brands, and ended up settling on these with sidewalls and the weights tubes. I've done 6 comps with them so far this year, and I love them. Way better than my old EZup and the car port style tent.

smokeyw
06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks Jason,
I already bought the E-Z ups from Sams Club but I did tale a look at the website. They look impressive. I may end up buying a 10' x 20' to replace my carport style one. The carport style one is very sturdy but is really heavy and somewhat of a PITA.

Check out the brand Undercover. Their professional model is supposed to be comparable to the high end EZup, but at a much lower price. I just went through the same thing with looking at all of the different brands, and ended up settling on these with sidewalls and the weights tubes. I've done 6 comps with them so far this year, and I love them. Way better than my old EZup and the car port style tent.

bigabyte
06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
I've had mine for three years, and keep it up on my back patio during summer and fall until the first snow, securely tied up with rope to trees and my deck. It has weathered all storms to date. Of course, the trees and deck help to serve as windbreaks, but that is still an impressive feat if you ask me.