PDA

View Full Version : Last practice with PRON

amv81
06-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I am entering my first competition this weekend and did one final practice. Please feel free to critique the boxes. I know that I either need to trim the brisket or put it in diagonal. Its amazing how every mistake shows up in a picture versus just looking at it.

hamiltont
06-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Brisket I'd go 7-8. Reasons: Presentation isn't symmetrical. Each slice is not an adjacent slice and they vary in size & shape. Looks a bit dry but that could just be the pic. Bit's of the bark are on the meat and the box. Burnt ends aren't all that appealing looking. I'd place them all with the bark up.

Ribs I'd go a strong 8, maybe 9 in person. They look pretty symmetrical and meaty. A side look would clinch it one way or the other though. Not that it should matter to a judge but fix that one parsley so the stem isn't sticking up.

Good luck in your Comp this weekend! Cheers!!!

RX2006JE
06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
try to use parsley that looks the same the bigger leafy one in front of the brisket really sticks out and doesn't look good. make sure for the comp that you have plenty of parsley to pick from.

Smokedelic
06-05-2012, 06:06 PM
try to use parsley that looks the same the bigger leafy one in front of the brisket really sticks out and doesn't look good. make sure for the comp that you have plenty of parsley to pick from.
You know...there is meat in the box. :doh:

Smokedelic
06-05-2012, 06:11 PM
I'd pretrim the brisket flat before cooking so that it fits inside the box after cooking. The length of your hand(unless you are Buzz Dean or Big Moe), from the heel of your palm to the tip of your finger, is a good approximation. Some foil juice or maybe some sauce would help the brisket look more moist. The ribs look really good!

Big Mike
06-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Trim your brisket up a bit more. If you are going to put burnt ends in the box I would make sure they are all in the box the same way. The three on the left have the bark up while the three on the right have the bark on the side. Marietta will be my first comp of the year. I will be getting in Thursday evening stop by and say hi.

landarc
06-05-2012, 07:07 PM
I think the rib box looks really good. Some folks will spray it lightly to get more shine.

I think the brisket box has been covered. Pretrim, adjacent slices, and again, dip or spray with some drippings or sauce.