PDA

View Full Version : Pork & ribs - 2 hours away ---- Cook & hold?

Wampus
06-05-2012, 06:52 AM
75 people.
Pulled pork, ribs & sides.
It's about a 2 hour drive to the place.

Would you:

Take smoker(s) and equipment down there, set up & cook butts & ribs the day of?
Cook at home and try to hold butts & whole racks in cooler or cambro until service?
Not really worried about the butts, but I've not tried to hold ribs that long.

Dinner is to be served between 1st & 2nd shift (around 4ish) as I understand.

Thanks

jasonville43
06-05-2012, 08:04 AM
ya might try and get a little more money by cooking them onsite :) I agree the butts really are no problem you can always cook the butts and pull and then reheat at the event. I have done this many times and everyone still loved the pork. The ribs I have never tried holding or reheating so cant help ya on that one..

fingerlickin'
06-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Is there any way you can take a grill or something to heat up the ribs and cut them onsite?

wyocurt
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
have used a cooler to hold ribs up to 5 hr. Just don't get to done as they will cook some in the cooler. As for the butts they will hold for hours.

landarc
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I would cook the pork all night, finish them up around 5 a.m., load the cookers up and cook the ribs on site. Foil crutch if needed. More of a pain, better quality product.

As I see it, if you leave home at 7a.m., you are on-site at 9 a.m. Set up cookers and fire them first. Cooking by 10 a.m., even with regular spares, you have 6 hours to get them done. St. Louis style, you can easily do it with a little foil magic. You can unwrap and pull the pork, place it in pans and prepare to serve it, allwoing for heating, from noon to 4 p.m.

DJ_Golden_Child
06-10-2012, 03:46 AM
What do you mean by foil crutch and foil magic?

deguerre
06-10-2012, 03:51 AM
Kempis, you KNOW how to cook and hold already.:tsk: