PDA

View Full Version : Must Hit BBQ Joints in Texas

eddieh70301
06-05-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm planning a trip to Houston later in the year. I want to hit some of the top BBQ joints in Texas. I will be coming from Louisiana so I would like to hit places not too far off the path but will travel a bit for some outstanding que.

I've heard of places like Snow's, Smitty's, Lockharts and Kreuz's. I want to hit a somewhat unknown joint that may be familiar to the locals.
We will be attending an Astro's game on Friday night so that would leave Friday for lunch, all day Sat and possible Sunday for lunch to search for some good BBQ.

So if any of the Brethren have traveled to TX or for the ones who live in TX, what would you recommend and which one or ones would you absolutely have to hit?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks Eddie

K-Train
06-05-2012, 08:07 AM
I've been to Houston once. I ate at Pappas. Pretty good, but kind of a sketchy neighborhood. Don't walt there like I did. I worked my meal off with nervous energy walking back to my hotel.

RW
06-05-2012, 10:13 AM
It's been years since I have eaten barbecue in Houston, but Goode Company always put out a decent spread. There also are Goode Company Seafood restaurants scattered about Houston, but the two are separate.

Pitmaster T
06-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Neither Pappa's nor Goode's meets your requirement in your post so it would be a good idea to ignore those suggesstions, although I like Pappas once they bought the Brisket Haas.

Oddly, your requirements are conflictory. You write in one sentence you want to hit some of the top BBQ joints in Texas," while in the next paragraph you write
"I want to hit a somewhat unknown joint that may be familiar to the locals."
You close with asking us "which one or ones would you absolutely have to hit?"

These are kind of three different things. You acknowledge the superiority of Snows, Kreuz and such but do not want to go but then ask us which ones are a "must hit."

Many of us will say those are the must hits.

So taking all this in consideration you def should not go to the chains like Goode and Pappas... even thought they are good. Lockhart is too far away to be practical.

Considering your area.... Go up 45 North to exit 114 in Huntsville and eat at New Zions.
Pitmaster T Road Trips Presents - New Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ - YouTube

Good luck dropping in and catching them open with any bbq.

eddieh70301
06-05-2012, 05:05 PM
I really do not want to ventrure too far away from Houston but would travel 50 miles or so outside to get some good que. this will be a short trip so I just don't want to spend all day saturday traveling to get some que.
I did mention Snows, Kreuz as I only read about them and not sure where they are located in relation to Houston.

MilitantSquatter
06-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Full Custom BBQ is a TX BBQ joint review site that may be helpful to identifying places that meet your different criteria

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/

or you can go to Luling City Market, which is the place that basically stole the name and sauce recipe of the famous City Market that's in Luling, TX

I am curious to see if the bottled sauce at the Houston place actually does taste like what's on the served at the tables in Luling

http://www.lulingcitymarket.com/

eddieh70301
06-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Full Custom BBQ is a TX BBQ joint review site that may be helpful to identifying places that meet your different criteria

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/

or you can go to Luling City Market, which is the place that basically stole the name and sauce recipe of the famous City Market that's in Luling, TX

I am curious to see if the bottled sauce at the Houston place actually does taste like what's on the served at the tables in Luling

http://www.lulingcitymarket.com/
Thanks for the info Vinny. Luling City Market is one that is on my list.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-06-2012, 07:13 AM
The joint in Luling is definitely a "Do not Miss", worth considerable effort to visit.

Pitmaster T
06-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I must be speaking a freaking foreign ****ing language.

Pitmaster T
06-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Luhling would be out according to your own 50 mile limitation. If you went there, you may as well get real BBQ in Lockhart plus bragging rights.

Pitmaster T
06-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Snows is 2 hours away, man.

Pitmaster T
06-06-2012, 10:32 PM
U got Thelmas in Houston itself, which essentially is a cop out or New Zion Baptist Church which is really called "Church BBQ" now for tax reasons. Huntsville is ****ing under freaking mother ****ing 50 ****ing **** assed miles.

Myron Mixon Mod

caseydog
06-06-2012, 10:45 PM
To get the absolute best of Texas BBQ, you have to get to the Texas hill country. Well, at least if you want to eat the real, traditional Texas BBQ. Houston doesn't have it, although you can get good seafood there, Dallas doesn't have it, although you can get good TexMex there, and San Antonio doesn't have it, although you can get real Mexican food there.

Luling, Loacharrt, Taylor, Llano, Driftwood -- all great BBQ towns.

I live in Dallas, the rest of my family lives in Houston. There is good food in both cities, but not the best BBQ, The best BBQ is in the Hill Country surrounding Austin and San Antonio.

Take Highway 290 out of Houston in the morning, and you can get to great BBQ by lunchtime. It is worth the trip.

Here is a link to Texas Monthly magazine's best BBQ joints. It is a pretty good list. http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/top50

My own favorites from that list are, Cooper's in Llano, Kreuttz Market in Lockhart, Louis Mueller BBQ in Taylor, Smitty's in Lockhart, and The Salt Lick in Driftwood.

CD