PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. DC National Capital BBQ Battle - 6/23-6/24

Slamdunkpro
06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Another oddball schedule at DC this year. Chicken & Brisket turn ins on Saturday and Ribs and Butts on Sunday along with on site judging Sunday.
Does the Board have to grant this event an exception based on rule #11?

42 teams signed up according to the website - Who's in?

DCFIREMANN
06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Well Mike since it's our home turf you know we will be there.

It is broken up because it has always been THE NATIONAL PORK CHAMPIONSHIP. When they kicked MBM to the curb and adopted KCBS they still wanted to and needed to make it a 2 day contest with Sunday being the all pork day. It is tough to load in late on Friday night and then be stuck there till Sunday night!!! To say it mildly IT IS A ZOO!!!!! But the money is great. There is so much extra money for winning a class, it makes it worth the try!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Fornia
06-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Psychedelic Smoke BBQ is in. Regardless of the warnings we received on this one being tough from load-in to load-out.

Certainly looking forward to it all, big name BBQ teams included!

Should be good fun and a great learning experience!

Slamdunkpro
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Psychedelic Smoke BBQ is in. Regardless of the warnings we received on this one being tough from load-in to load-out.

Certainly looking forward to it all, big name BBQ teams included!

Should be good fun and a great learning experience!

Bring several 5 gallon buckets and a small wagon or cart in case you have to haul water/grey water a long way. Bring a LONG extention cord and don't count on consistent electric.

Fornia
06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks a bunch, Mike! Very much appreciated!

We've got 100' for both elec. and water supply. Think we need more?

We're figuring 'running out to get something' when on-site....will not be an option for this one!

Thanks again.

Slamdunkpro
06-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks a bunch, Mike! Very much appreciated!

We've got 100' for both elec. and water supply. Think we need more?

We're figuring 'running out to get something' when on-site....will not be an option for this one!

Thanks again.
Depending on where you are water might be 3 blocks away.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I am trying to get in, I have a free entry but they claim to be full.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I am trying to get in, I have a free entry but they claim to be full.

Thats pretty messed up :doh:

Fornia
06-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Depending on where you are water might be 3 blocks away.

Hmmm......gotcha. The hose is least of worries in that situation.

Gonna go through the packet more tonight, just browsed it during lunch.

Initially, I'm dissapointed to see you can't sell T-Shirts (or anything), and you've gotta make your 'cook-site' perimeter. Realize it's not their fault that we're a rather new team....but we normally sell a number of our shirts and I've got enough trouble trying to make decent BBQ....without putting up a fence. ;)
Oh well!

trohrs123
06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
we are in

Jacked UP BBQ
06-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Put up a fence??? I never did that before, must be a new one.

Fornia
06-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Put up a fence??? I never did that before, must be a new one.

I guess technically its worded:

'defining a boundary for the area'

But....each team must have a gate opening?

Smoke Shack
06-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Last time we went (about 3 - 4 years ago) the "boundary" thing had to do with alcohol. If you read your packet, they state in there that you must not bring beer/wine etc with you and instead must purchase it at the event (for about $25 a case, no less). You are only allowed to drink those beverages in your "defined area" - in other words, you're not supposed to walk around with a beer in your hand.

Of course I don't know many teams that bought those cases of beer, and no one ever came around inspecting coolers in the 5 - 6 years I did the event, so I don't know what all the fuss was about. I think it has to do with sponsorship and city ordinances and such.

But the DC event is fun - there are a LOT of people that come through there both days, and there is a LOT to do. It's the only remaining event where they close down Pennsylvania Ave, and they want to keep it that way (hence all the regulations).

Load in/Load out is a real bi!@h, and the turnins can be several blocks away.

As others have said, bring plenty of power cords. 100' would be a bare minimum for me (same with hoses, if they let you hook up to water). Staging in for loadin can be tough - we generally parked on one of the side streets that ran perpendicular to Penn ave, and waited there. Parking is tough, and we opted for the paid parking sections in one of the underground lots. More secure than the open air parking.

Watch out for vagrants and such. They're everywhere, and the DC police have their hands full with them. They'll steal anything that's not tied down, especially during the initial loadin and loadout, before the barricades are up.

Heath Hall
06-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Pork Barrel will be there trying to defend our GC. For all the negatives about the contest there are a lot of postiives. How often do you get to fire up a smoker on the most powerful street in the world?