PDA

View Full Version : Rookie question: Why not just turn in point meat?

Jaskew82
06-03-2012, 09:03 AM
It's so damn good. Seems like a lot of people prefer it to the flat.

Do judges expect slices from the flat or is there a rule against it or something.

Sorry for the dumb question, just curious.

CBQ
06-03-2012, 09:20 AM
No rule against it, you can turn in the brisket however you want. Maybe sliced point would do when, I haven't tried it.

Ford
06-03-2012, 09:39 AM
You should take a KCBS judging class for the answer. Myron did discuss it on the 1st episode when he pulled the brisket apart. Point won't do that.

boogiesnap
06-03-2012, 09:39 AM
i judged a box of just cubed point at williepalooza. i judged as presented. didn't matter to me there were no flat slices. unfortunately they weren't very good. (sorry to whoever cooked it).

but, i think the odds of getting 6 judges to be as impartial in their judging is very slim. maybe 5, maybe 4, but SOMEONE at that table is going to ding you for not having sliced flat, and offending the least amount of judges is the goal.

boogiesnap
06-03-2012, 09:42 AM
You should take a KCBS judging class for the answer. Myron did discuss it on the 1st episode when he pulled the brisket apart. Point won't do that.

i took the judging class, i hope you refer to "judge as presented" .

the pull test isn't a criteria for judging; merely an indicator.

dmprantz
06-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Just cubed point has been turned in and done well. So has sliced point. Turn in the best product that you have and hope the judges where it lands judge it as presented every time.

Ford
06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
I was referring to the pull test. In the tent judges do it.

I support judge as presented but probably only 80% in the tent actually do so. The others go in with preconceived ideas and score accordingly.

Jorge
06-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Risk/Reward. I know people that have taken some gambles, and been rewarded. I know some that have been punished. If you turn something in out of the norm, it better be cooked perfectly.

As soon as that box is opened, and the judges see something different the cook just invited additional scrutiny whether they intended to or not.

bbqbrad
06-03-2012, 12:22 PM
One time my flat was crap. Pure crap. But my burnt ends were great! Turned them in and got 12th!

big brother smoke
06-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Sometimes thinking inside the box is a good thing!:wink:

Jaskew82
06-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys. I am sure part of my thinking is because the flats I cook don't come out half as good as the ones you do! If I was that good at cooking brisket, I am sure sliced flats would be outstanding too! :wink: