PDA

View Full Version : Food safety classes and certification.

Bamabuzzard
05-31-2012, 09:31 AM
I know many of you have been to classes on food safety. Is there an "official" organization that one has to go through to get all the necessary food safety certifications etc.? Also, how much do the classes normally cost?

ddweatherholtz
05-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I teach the class at $150 a student. Can do online for about $50 I think thru servsafe. Other than me is see usual cost at $180 to $250 per person. I'm a little cheaper because it is not my main job.

Prosit!
Doug-E-Q

Tatoosh
05-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Are these substantially different than the Food Handlers Card most states require? When I was in Oregon and even today, the training was available fairly inexpensively. Online it is done for $10. I see similar offers for online training for Louisiana.

That said, if I was the owner or manager, someone responsible for the safety and supervision of others, I'd likely spend the extra amount for a more complete classroom education.

ssbbqguy
06-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Here in this area, as in most the first place to start is health departments from local to state level. Then try statewide rest. associations. They will have a more volume approach and pricing sometimes. The local colleges have been very resourceful. We did ours online, but all here have had previous classes. As with anything, keep digging. Steve.

Pyle's BBQ
06-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Check with your state restaurant association. The would be able to tell you who give the class that will cover your state.

jacksedona
06-07-2012, 03:48 AM
i agree if you call the county health department or look online in the county you live in they have the info and their are also online courses you can do from home.
The state restaurant association usually gives classes also. It looks to be cheaper to go online with the county here in Arizona.

http://thebarbecuemaster.net