PDA

View Full Version : Point of No Return!

nmayeux
09-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Guys, I wanted to give you an update on our start-up competition team. Since meeting Tim, Dave, and Jimmy at Dillard last month, I guess I've stepped off the deep end. My daughter still asks to go back to the "Smokey Fair," and to be fair, I can't wait either!

First, Nauti-Que Competition BBQ Team is now official :D . However, we are still working on a logo in which we are trying to merge pigs, pirates, boats, and bikinis! We have plans to attend the comps in Vidalia, Hampton, and Dillard next year, and maybe a bash (I can wish can't I?).

Next, I have just hung up the phone with Ben Lang, and we will be picking up a Lang Mobile 60 just as soon as I can get down there. We had narrowed the choices down to a Large Spicewine, a Ed Ortone Smoker, and the Lang. I sincerely regret not meeting Jay, but I enjoyed meeting both Ed and Ben. If the catering side takes off, we will probably pick up a Spicewine due to its effeciency.

In addition to the smoker, we have been steadily gathering the gear needed to compete. We have secured tables, canopy, coolers, lights, bins, and a list of stuff that I cannot even remember off the top of my head!! We are also putting together a sponser plan, but are also blessed by the interest and assistance that our family has provided!

Again, I want to thank the Brethren for being such an inspiration, and a wealth of knowledge. I only hope that I can live up to such high standards! Also, I have to credit Tim's speech for getting me so excited about spending THOUSANDS of dollars to just get my teeth kicked in :twisted: !

Thanks again,
Noah

The_Kapn
09-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the really "Dark Side" Noah :lol:
You will do fine!
More later.

TIM

chad
09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Oooh, are you in trouble now! :twisted:

Welcome, indeed, to the dark side. :D

rbsnwngs
09-15-2005, 06:27 AM
it's the most fun youll ever have

icemn62
09-15-2005, 07:55 AM
You WILL never be the same again. You will have fun.

spicewine
09-15-2005, 08:07 AM
You have the right attitude!! Just remember not to take things to seriously and it will continue to be fun for you. Go Get Em!!

Bellybro
09-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Walk towards the smoke. Welcome to the dark/wild/smokey side!!!

jt
09-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Sounds like you're on your way, Noah. Remember, we want pics of the Lang!

Ron_L
09-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Congrats, Noah! I like the name... For the logo, how about a pig pirate on the bow of a pirate ship, and instead of the standard mermaid figurehead on the bow of the ship, have a pig mermaid in a bikini... Can you visualize that?

Sorry... I'm going back to my coffee now... :-D

Smoker
09-15-2005, 09:08 AM
it's the most fun youll ever have

With your pants on!!!!!

ggeilman
09-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Shutters at the thought of a pig in a bikini.

BrooklynQ
09-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the dark side.

But for God's sake man - get your daughter out now while you still can!!!

Or begin building the multi-generational dynasty!

Trout_man22
09-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the dark side.

But for God's sake man - get your daughter out now while you still can!!!

Or begin building the multi-generational dynasty!

Ya if you love her that is. :wink:

nmayeux
09-15-2005, 03:32 PM
I think its too late. After meeting "Uncles" Tim and Dave, and all the attention she recieved, she has taken the plunge with me!

As far as the pig w/ a bikini, we were at the beach on Sea Island last month, and saw much, much worse! Nothing like large expat europeans in speedos!

nmayeux
09-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Two questions,

1. Besides the KCBS, where else might you need to register your team name?

2. This might not be a problem anytime soon, but do most of you consider your teams a business? I was wondering what you need to do in the case of any winnings. I prefer to work under the table, but I don't want to get in any trouble!

Thanks,
Noah

BBQchef33
09-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Two questions,

1. Besides the KCBS, where else might you need to register your team name?

2. This might not be a problem anytime soon, but do most of you consider your teams a business? I was wondering what you need to do in the case of any winnings. I prefer to work under the table, but I don't want to get in any trouble!

Thanks,
Noah

KCBS 1099's you for winnings.

rbsnwngs
09-18-2005, 06:01 AM
The KCBS will send you a 1099 so you can do what you want but the gov will know if you win

rbinms33
09-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Congrats Noah on taking the plunge! I'm sure you'll have a blast doing it. And the place you registered your name....was it the bbqteamnames.com site? That's the only one I know of.

smokincracker
09-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Noah

Great to see you’re taking the plunge.
Let me be the first to invite you and all bros to a competition.
My hometown contest in Sebring Jan 6,7th 2006
The FBA season opener.

Lots of good teams always show at this contest.
Take a road trip Noah
www.flbbq.org

nmayeux
09-19-2005, 05:03 PM
I'll see what I can do. We should be back for Springfield, MO by then. What's lodging like down there that time of year?
Noah

chad
09-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Sebring is a good contest. Yes, we've had our butts kicked there, too! All the top FL teams and quite a few locals show up along with the likes of Jack's Old South.

Lodging shouldn't be a problem - I'm sure Jimmy will fill in any details. From what I remember, the only time they have a "rush" is during races!

nmayeux
09-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Dave,
Are you and Tim going?

The_Kapn
09-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Dave,
Are you and Tim going?
Sebring was a great event last year.
They have been doing it for many years and just about have it perfect:lol:
Need to stay away from the pig races though:twisted:

Dave and I are not looking beyond Key Largo in early Nov.

Time and $$ will tell on Sebring.

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
09-19-2005, 10:39 PM

OK so I win $10,000 at the Royal and split it with my team... do *I* get the 1099 for a full $10K??? If so, WTF do you do to correct the situation on your taxes if you don't keep all the winnings?

Yes you do get full "credit" :lol:
Keep good records.
And, you would 1099 each of them for their earnings.
And, you could deduct all your expense--as could they.
And, you would need a business entity to do 1099's.
And--hire an account and an attorney for the rest of the goodies involved:lol:

But, the simple answer is--just dont win $10K and you will not have that problem:wink:
Peice of cake.

TIM

MoKanMeathead
09-20-2005, 08:12 AM

I have never received a 1099 from the KCBS. At some contests like the royal, mabe the GAB (Great Americam BBQ Contest), and probably Cabela's you may get a 1099 from the organizer but I don't believe the KCBS gets involved. At least I have never heard of getting a 1099 from the KCBS.