PDA

View Full Version : Legal or not

billgailey
05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
With all the discussions about how you trim your ribs, hollywood cut or competition cut, meat up or meat down, sauced before cutting or sauced after cutting I was just curious if it is legal to slice the ribs before cooking. I have not found anything in the KCBS rules that prohibits you from doing that. As long as each rib has its own bone it seems to me to be legal. Whether it would make sense from a cooking standpoint is a whole other discussion. I guess you could say this is sorta like the chicken category in that you can cook the thing whole or in parts just depends on your skill set...

Ford
05-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Legal but crazy

bbq.tom
05-30-2012, 03:35 PM
I've never heard anything against cooking the ribs separately, but why would you want to? Seems like you are increasing the amount of work exponentially!!!! PLUS, how would you be able to ensure the six you put in the box are pretty much the same unless you try to keep each rack together anyway.

Smoke'n Ice
05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
The very simple answer to your question is yes. It is legal to part, slice, pull, except ribs which must have a bone attached which is referring to the pulling aspect only, all meats, with the exception of the pork butt, prior to cooking. Why you would want too is another question as you alluded.

Hub
05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
There is a "country" way of fixing ribs (I'm not referring to "country style ribs" which are not really ribs) that involves slicing them before cooking, marinating them in a thin, vinegary sauce, basically "grilling" them until done, then returning them to the sauce (heated) for the finish. I've had these a couple of times and they are okay but nowhere near the taste and texture experience of a good KCBS competition rib. They get pretty "soupy" and taste mostly like the sauce.

Previous posters are correct, there is no rule against cutting prior to cooking. If you can do it and still produce an eye-catching rib that isn't overcooked and has good flavor balance (combo of meat, smoke, rub, sauce, etc.) then go for it!

Hub

Rookie'48
05-31-2012, 11:51 PM
I'll agree with Ford on this :crazy:.

. . . then returning them to the sauce (heated) for the finish. Hub

If you've got the ribs in the sauce, make sure that any heat applied is from wood, charcoal, etc. If you heat just the sauce without the ribs anything goes.