PDA

View Full Version : Southport NC anyone?

gtr
05-28-2012, 07:17 PM
My lovely wife is gonna be working in Southport NC (near Wilmington) for a couple months or so, and I will be visiting her periodically. Where are the good eats in and around the area? :noidea:

bbq.tom
05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
The only Q-joint close to Southport is: the "Bar-B-Que House" in Oak Island. Here is the link: http://www.bestbbqonthebeach.com/

I've not been to this joint yet, but there are numerous Q-joints in Wilmington in case you want to venture out a bit. Unfortunately, NONE of them are great, but a couple will do if you need a "fix". Try "Jackson's Big Oak Barbecue" 920 South Kerr Avenue, Wilmington it is decent.
If you are looking for quantity, then I'd suggest: "Carolina BBQ" (two locations on College - 1602 South College Road or 2307 North College Road - the South College location I found to be slightly better), OR "Casey's Buffet Barbecue & Home Cookin'" - 5559 Oleander Dr.. These three places are ALL YOU CAN EAT buffets and are pretty decent.
If you are looking for a different taste to your Q, then I'd suggest "Flip's Barbecue House" - 5818 Oleander Dr. It almost tastes like it has a splash of mustard in the sauce (ala South Carolina style).
Finally, for some really good "Eastern Style" barbecue hit a "Smithfield's Chicken & Barbecue" - 3705 Patriot Way, Wilmington. This is a large chain, but has EXCELLENT "eastern style" flavor!

Good luck and I hope you find something that you enjoy!!!

gtr
05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info. :clap2:

There's a chance I'll be driving to my sister's in Charlotte - anything good along the way there?

SirPorkaLot
05-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info. :clap2:

There's a chance I'll be driving to my sister's in Charlotte - anything good along the way there?

Any idea of when you may be in Charlotte?

gtr
05-29-2012, 11:19 PM
^^^Not sure if or when - summer's kinda loose right now, but it would most likely be in July or maybe August - lots of moving parts to the schedule right now.

It kinda looks like I may go visit in July, and hopefully will go back in August to drive with the wife & kids back to CA on a very indirect route of some sort (cross country driving is one of my favorite things on the planet btw), may pull through Charlotte then as well.

SirPorkaLot
05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Ahh. I'll be gone from there by then. You'll hafta to come to NorCal

gtr
05-29-2012, 11:33 PM
I'll be basically a childless bachelor for several weeks this summer - anything happening up that way in July or August?

Wrench_H
06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
GTR, just saw this. BBQ Tom is the expert for all things NC bbq, but there are a few new places in town too. There is a food truck that has been on Market Street lately, http://www.poorpiggys.com/, that is pretty good. I met him at a contest a few weeks ago, and he's a super good dude. There is also a new place, The Kitchen, http://www.thekitchenwilmington.com/dinnerMenu.html, that is pretty decent. Its a little more upscale, and I've only been there once, but it wasn't bad.

All that said, this isn't the best place in the world for BBQ. There are however lots of good restaurants around here, particularly seafood joints and I'd also be gald to cook you some Q, so PM me when you come this way if you want to know some spots or get up for a beer or two.

lcbateman3
06-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Sounds like all need to get together Anthony. Talking about riding down when he gets into the state.

Wrench_H
06-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Sounds like all need to get together Anthony. Talking about riding down when he gets into the state.

Let me know Lionel. Maybe we should make this a little bash. Not sure if there is anyone else on here nearby or not. We recently moved, and I'd be glad to host if there are folks interested.

gtr
06-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Cool! I might be able to get out there in the mid to later part of July depending on how work is going - it'd be fanfarkingtastic to see y'all! I'll keep you guys updated & thanks for the info!

gtr
07-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Heading to Southport on Thursday for around 10 days. Any of you farkers around?

deguerre
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Yep. Just a few hundred miles to the West.:becky:

Have a fun trip!

gtr
07-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I'll be driving from Southport to Charlotte on Monday - anything good along the way?

***on edit - Looks like we might be checking out one of those Smithfield places along the way. :hungry: