PDA

View Full Version : Competition Equipment Question - wsm or kettle

jcpetro97
05-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Having some debate as to what cookers we are going to need for next year to compete. I have a 22" wsm. I know we heed another and will be getting an 18". Where we aren't sure is if we should get a third wsm or a kettle. We are going to do kcbs next year so I am wondering which will be most beneficial. What about the.pros/cons of a third wsm vs kettle.

Thanks for taking the time everyone

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

bbutts
05-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Looks like you gave it covered. Harry Soo is competing on one WSM this year. I believe he was using 2 WSM's last year. It can be done.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Big_AL
05-27-2012, 04:45 PM
We use a 22 WSM, an 18 WSM and two 22 OTG. We use the OTG's for our lunch, dinner and breakfast cooks and our comp chicken as well as ancillary categories such as dessert. I like the options the kettle provides. I'm cooking seven categories next weekend on just the 18 WSM and one OTG.

I say go with the kettle for more versatility including the option to grill an item should the need arise. This is just my humble, novice opinion but I do hope it helps.

bam
05-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I say after the 18 get the kettle always good to have around.:thumb:

Harbormaster
05-28-2012, 04:36 PM
We cook comp meats on 4 18.5" WSMs. Works well for us and I can't imagine doing a comp without at least 3 WSMs.

BUT! that's just he way WE cook.

Meals are on a CGA or Smokey Joe.

BC Squared
05-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Have two 22 WSMs and a couple of kettles....starting to think could do it all on kettles and recoup my WSM money. Did a cook on one WSM once, third in ribs so it went ok!

White Dog BBQ
05-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Depends on how much meat you want to cook. You could easily do a full contest with just 2 WSMs. A third WSM would give you some flexibility on timing and allow you to cook a little more meat. The kettle would be nice for heating up other things -- sauces, dinner, or if you are rushed, a high temp cook (helps a lot with chicken and ribs if underdone).

Strongly recommend you buy a couple of Big Green Egg grate extenders if cooking with WSMs in competition. Easy way to add a third cooking rack for minimal cost.

Erik

Stoke&Smoke
05-29-2012, 08:01 AM
We use 1 22" WSM, 1 18-WSM, and an 18" kettle. Right now we do chicken and brisket on the 22, and butts and ribs in the 18, using the kettle for side categories (last weekend we made wings, and sausage on it, along with our dinners and such)

I got the 18" kettle for 15 bucks off facebook a year or so ago. Nice thing is it fits inside the 22 for transport, so less overall room taken up.

I suppose it really depends on your cooking methods, so you need to go by trial and error to see what works best and transports easiest

Parts_Guy
05-29-2012, 08:19 AM
2-22" and an 18". Kettle for our meals and heating things up(sauces).

mobow
05-29-2012, 08:29 AM
You already have all that you need the question is it all that you want. keith