PDA

View Full Version : KCBS, MIM, FBA etc

BrooklynQ
09-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Looking over the competition threads, it seems like this board is really KCBS centric. How many brethren compete in the other circuits? Lets hear some of those stories.

chad
09-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Southern Brethren (Tim and me) do KCBS and FBA.

With KCBS doing over 180 events a year it's pretty natural that the bulk of the teams do their events.
A lot of state associations don't sanction their own events, per se, they function with KCBS events.

FBA sanctions over 20 events in FL, GA, and one in TN. They already have 12 events on the calendar for 2006.

MIM is pork centric and so you pretty much have to do shoulder or whole hog to be competitive - I think the grand champions are decided on hightest score in any single product - so you can win shoulder and whole hog and get "beat" by the top ribs! :twisted: The events are pretty much in the southeast - probably 80 or 90 percent. Check out
http://www.memphisinmay.org for information and check out the placing in this year's events. (I'm beginning to see why Chris Lilly setup the scoring in the BBQ Challenge the way he did!)

We haven't heard from any of the guys that do the TX circuit (there are a couple of sanctioning bodies in TX). And, they tend to be beef centric.

kcpellethead
09-12-2005, 04:01 PM
KCBS will sanction just about 200 contests this year, while MIM shows 40 events on their '05 schedule. I think that is the reason there is so much talk about KCBS events.

rbinms33
09-13-2005, 05:47 PM
I used to compete MIM a long time ago but only when all of our stuff was paid for by the company we worked for. We had to fund it out of pocket one year ourselves and everybody kinda drifted apart. Even though we were having donation dinners on Thursday/Friday nights, it still cost a good chunk of change. Lot more meat to buy....lot more fancy stuff to impress judges. Looking back, I had the time of my life but when I start competing again, it will most likely be on the KCBS circuit.