PDA

View Full Version : All Star BBQ Showdown Finale

drbbq
09-10-2005, 08:21 PM
It's on at 10:00pm tonight on OLN. It's an hour long too.
Should be fun!

rbsnwngs
09-10-2005, 08:24 PM
what is oln

The_Kapn
09-10-2005, 08:26 PM
what is oln
Outdoor Life Network.

Unfortunatly, many of us do not get it :twisted:

TIM

chad
09-10-2005, 08:44 PM
I'll be watching it - watched the Lincoln hog cook this afternoon. It was one of Fast Eddie's wins! :D

I still think a format where you can win 3 1st and still not make the finals is a bit weird! :D

Congrats, Ray, for making the finals!! :D

BrooklynQ
09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Not available here either. But Congrats Ray

Bill-Chicago
09-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Its part of Basic Cable here.

Brooklyn, please move here.

I have a great realtor

Jeff_in_KC
09-10-2005, 09:23 PM
I'll be watching too... congrats for making the finals, Ray! And to the Squeal of Approval!

drbbq
09-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Must not be many people into Bull Riding or Elk Hunting in NY. How you guys gonna watch hockey? It's on OLN now.

ThomEmery
09-10-2005, 09:48 PM
I have really enjoyed the show

chad
09-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Interesting finals! Nothing like starting your ribs and then they show up and say - he's the pork butts for the final showdown! :twisted: Chris Lilly is a "hard" man! :D

Got some ideas on presentation! :D Though it'll be harder to "wow" the judges with only a 9x9 display!

drbbq
09-10-2005, 11:08 PM
I got to taste the final pork entries, and those girls deserved to win. They did a great job.

Jeff_in_KC
09-10-2005, 11:08 PM
See Ray? You really shouldn't have let the chick help you mix your rubs! But at least she was good to look at! :wink: Congrats on making it to NY in the first place! That's a great accomplishment! See ya in KC in a few!

Jeff_in_KC
09-10-2005, 11:11 PM
I got to taste the final pork entries, and those girls deserved to win. They did a great job.

Their platter of pork made me hungry even on TV! I just got to know Lana today and she's STILL in awe of what they accomplished! The girls are going to be on the news here in KC on the 19th and there's an article about them and the BBQ Challenge on ESPN. I'll try to find the link. I know wayne has it but I haven't heard from him since the Blue Springs contest was over.

chad
09-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Just remind me to run over the next "master" judge I see! :twisted:

Jeff_in_KC
09-10-2005, 11:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=rovell/050909

Ron_L
09-11-2005, 11:50 AM
See Ray? You really shouldn't have let the chick help you mix your rubs! But at least she was good to look at! :wink: Congrats on making it to NY in the first place! That's a great accomplishment! See ya in KC in a few!

I don't know, Jeff... Peggy can mix my rub anytime! How could you tell her no? Parrothead... Can you work on getting Peggy to cook with us at our next competition? :D

Congrats on making the finals, Ray! Sorry you didn't make it further! I was rooting for a fellow Chicagoan and Brethren!

Do you know what that white stuff that Mike Davis put on his ribs? It looked like mayo...

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Ron, I thought it was butter.

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Oh and when the judge said there was something in Ray's rib seasonings he didn't care for and Ray says "cinnamon", I immediately thought of the rub I made up that I use and thought "FARK!!!" I put about a half tsp of cinnamon in mine!

chad
09-11-2005, 12:57 PM
It was Mayo -- AL cooks use it quite a bit.

Jeff - don't go into a tail spin - the was ONE judge that commented about cinammon - he's made a career out of being the "hanging judge" :D

If you're balancing your flavors it's not an issue! I personally don't use nutmeg or "pie spice" in my rubs - but I know many successful que cooks that do. The main thing is to use restraint since you don't want any one flavor to dominate - subtle (to a certain degree) is the goal.

icemn62
09-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Did not get to catch it, so who won?

Ron_L
09-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Do you really want to know? It will be re-run all week...

If you really want to know, scroll down...

Spoiler below...

Squeal of Approval, the all female amateur team.

drbbq
09-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Mike Davis was putting margarine on his ribs. Many cooks use that squeeze margarine on their food, but since we didn't have any of that Mike was improvising with stick margarine and a zip loc bag with the corner cut off.

I made that rub recipe up at home, and tried it on some chicken. It was really good, so I decided to use it on the show. I used it on my brisket in Texas, it was really good and I won.
I then used it on my chicken and turkey in Memphis, it was good and I won again.
So going to NY, I never thought twice about what rub I was going to use. When I put it on the ribs, and topped them with a butter/barbecue sauce the cinnamon came on way too strong. I didn't really realize it until the judges said it. When I went back and tasted one, I had to say they were right.
It was a mistake on my part to assume that the rub woud be good on ribs without trying it.

It sucks that it happened, and I wish I would have realized what I did, but you need to understand the state we were in. It was a long grueling day in brutal heat and rain on the streets of New York, along with the pressure of doing the TV show stuff before we cooked. The girls, Mike and the En Fuego guys were flat wore out in the morning. Chris Lilly is a smart, and evil man.

rookiedad
09-11-2005, 08:17 PM
did i hear someone say mayo on ribs. i use that on pulled pork sometimes, but i didnt think anyone else did, let alone in competition. can anyone shed more light on this practice? thanks.
phil

chad
09-11-2005, 09:00 PM
I've seen it used on brisket for sure.

Ray, thanks for the correction - I wondered why he was using a zip lock. Thought maybe is was a brand infringement of something. :D

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Great insight, Ray! Thanks for that! I know a few on here also use squeeze butter on their food. I'm gathering that it's merely for the "shine", right? I was just in awe that you immediately knew where you went wrong as soon as the judge commented on the flavor!

So my question is this, Ray... do you think it was too much cinnamon or do you believe that cinnamon and pork just clash? I've been using it in my rib and butt rub but out of about a three cup batch, I only use 1/4 teaspoon of it. A little definitely goes a hell of a long ways!

drbbq
09-11-2005, 09:12 PM
The ribs were actually pretty good, at home they would have been gobbled up. But we were cooking for $25k, and the cinnamon was definetly out of balance and the dominant taste. Ribs are a sweet meat, so it might have been better on a pork butt.

Chris and I were talking about it later, and he seemed to think that incorporating butter would amplify the cinnamon. Could be that too, or probably a combination of these things.

Ron_L
09-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info, Ray... Interesting thought on the cinnamon and butter. I've been using a wet rub for ribs lately that uses butter for the moisture, and it originally had 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and I thought it was too much. Maybe it was the butter that brought it out.

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2005, 09:26 PM
The ribs were actually pretty good, at home they would have been gobbled up. But we were cooking for $25k, and the cinnamon was definetly out of balance and the dominant taste. Ribs are a sweet meat, so it might have been better on a pork butt.

Chris and I were talking about it later, and he seemed to think that incorporating butter would amplify the cinnamon. Could be that too, or probably a combination of these things.

"Pretty good"?? :lol: I'm sure they could have won any number of contests and were more than "pretty good"! :wink:

But that is an interesting thought... the butter bringing out the cinnamon. I'll have to watch that!