PDA

View Full Version : Question for Comp organizers...

Jaskew82
05-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Is there any "profit" after a comp. I say "profit" but am actually thinking in terms of donations to charity.

What types of charities or other organizations do the "profits" go to?

How long does it generally take to organize an average event of approximately 25 - 30 teams?

How difficult is it to get KCBS participation?

If anyone is willing to discuss this with me privately, I would be grateful.

boogiesnap
05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113998

following similar paths. :wink:

Jaskew82
05-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks. That is interesting.

boogiesnap
05-23-2012, 03:50 PM
i realize not quite to your question, but profit being income minus cost, figured relevant.

jeffry1970
05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
a lot of work goes into it. this past weekend we just had our second queforthetroops and we will be meeting in a couple of weeks to start talking about next year. this really our third year and we are still tweaking and working out the bugs..
i will say it is gratifying when the event is successful, everyone has fun and you get to hand a check over to your charity.

motoeric
05-23-2012, 06:58 PM
1) Is there any "profit" after a comp. I say "profit" but am actually thinking in terms of donations to charity.

2) What types of charities or other organizations do the "profits" go to?

3) How long does it generally take to organize an average event of approximately 25 - 30 teams?

4) How difficult is it to get KCBS participation?

5) If anyone is willing to discuss this with me privately, I would be grateful.

1) It depends on the event, but hopefully not. You should have a pretty good idea of where your money is going before the event starts, leaving little 'extra' profit.

2) There are as many charities as there are organizers. They can range from local Scouting groups to Breast Cancer Charities.

3) A good rule of thumb is a year, but it can be done in less.

4) Not difficult at all. Just break out your checkbook and hope that there isn't a KCBS event in your area on the same day.

5) Feel free to pm me.

Eric

Gowan
05-23-2012, 07:06 PM
While I've been involved with quite a few charity-driven events, I always try to discourage such organizations when they come to me to talk about creating a professional BBQ contest for fundraising purposes. The reason why is after a year or two such events usually fold because the non-profit's BoD sees that not much money is being raised considering the expense and energy that goes into holding the event.

The harsh reality is a charity can raise more money with a fraction of the effort with vehicles like golf tournaments and silent auctions. At it's core, a sanctioned BBQ contest is a private party for cook teams and judges, with little to entertain the public at large. To attract crowds, you have to spin up a full blown, multi-faceted festival to the point that the BBQ contest itself becomes basically a sideshow.

Where our events really shine is for promoting community and small scale tourism in so much as the draw of the cooks and judges themselves. But as purely an engine for generating cash to the organizer, not so much.