PDA

View Full Version : First Competition.....WOW

New Pal Frank
05-07-2012, 02:04 PM
My wife and I competed in our first pro BBQ comp this weekend in Liberty, IN. We have been CBJ's for two years and have judged 23 comp up until now and have learned that BBQ folks are tops.

We have almost always stayed for rewards to see how all our friends did and have been so excited for them.

We had no lofty goals at all. Just three, have fun, make all turn in times and not finish last.

I had some jitters Friday and Saturday and my wife had them real bad Sunday morning. (Sunday turn ins)

Things went pretty good cooking wise. Had alot of fun. Met up with alot of our BBQ friends and made all turn in times.

Nerves pretty well in check we got everthing loaded up and ready to go so we could leave right after awards.

Well the nerves went haywire when during the pork catagory we got a 6th place call, then in brisket we got a 3rd place call. WOW. Then a 7th place over all out of 31 teams.

I hope it not beginners. I think I've got the bug.

Thanks to all those that have mentored me here and along the way.:-D

Stoke&Smoke
05-07-2012, 02:07 PM
This should be in the competition area,no?
Congrats! Thats a great finish for first time!

Lake Dogs
05-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Awesome!!!

Fatback Joe
05-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Congratulations!

New Pal Frank
05-07-2012, 02:16 PM
This should be in the competition area,no?
Congrats! Thats a great finish for first time!

Sorry about that.
The Mods are welcome to move if they like. No problem here.:thumb:

daninnewjersey
05-07-2012, 02:18 PM
That's awesome...congrats. Must have been such a rush......

I have my first comp in July and hope to do half as well as you did.....

Pappy Q
05-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Congrats to two fine folks! Hope to see you all soon.

indianagriller
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
OH NO!.... the dreaded calls in the first competition... I told you it would happen! Congrats guys, I didnt get a chance to talk to you guys after awards as I was trying to figure out why our stuff has dropped off the face of the competition planet... See you guys soon!

Boshizzle
05-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Congrats, bro, that's great!

jbuntingsr
05-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Congrats, Great Job.

Cack
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
wow congrats on the great first results

Hoosier1960
05-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Congrats! That is awesome on a first comp

NorthwestBBQ
05-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Any pics?

Ron_L
05-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Great job, Frank!

You do realize that you're hooked, right? :rolleyes:

JimmyDAL
05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Great Job! What did you think of your scores?

big brother smoke
05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Simply Awesome, brother!

gusibole
05-07-2012, 07:33 PM
CONGRATS TO YOU ALL! :grin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/raidermombcb/gus/signature-1.jpg

BBQ_MAFIA
05-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Congrat on a job well done.

bbqchicken
05-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Congrats!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Wampus
05-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Congrats you guys!
Awesome job! I know you kicked our arses! :becky::laugh:

It was great to meet you both. Sorry we didn't get more time to hang out. I'm sure we'll see you around! :clap:

Pig Headed
05-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Congrats!! That's an impressive start to your competition team. You know you're hooked for good. Good luck.

Smokin Hebrew
05-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Mazel Tov! That is just outstanding.

Alexa RnQ
05-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Those first calls -- they're deadly. We might as well stick a fork in you.

Congratulations!

CivilWarBBQ
05-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Welcome to the obsession!

You may now sell the boat, cash in the IRAs and tell the kids not to plan on an inheritance.

New Pal Frank
05-08-2012, 04:18 AM
That's awesome...congrats. Must have been such a rush......

I have my first comp in July and hope to do half as well as you did.....

Yes, it was pretty much a rush hearing your team name called amongst so many good teams.

Good luck on your first comp and keep us posted.

Hope you hear your team name called often.

New Pal Frank
05-08-2012, 04:27 AM
OH NO!.... the dreaded calls in the first competition... I told you it would happen! Congrats guys, I didnt get a chance to talk to you guys after awards as I was trying to figure out why our stuff has dropped off the face of the competition planet... See you guys soon!

We are sorry to hear that things didn't go the way you had them planned.I know you will get them lined out. You guys are to good of a team not to.

It's teams like you that make the BBQ comps so great. You heard we ran out of rub for our chicken and the next thing I know, there is a half a bottle setting there on my table and Steve said it was from you at no charge. What a Brotherhood and Sisterhood!

Thanks for the congrats and all you have done to help us along. If there is anthing you could possibly need from us, PLEASE let us know.

New Pal Frank
05-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Any pics?

The wife has some phone pics but has not sent them to me yet.

We were so concentrated on preping and cooking that we didn't get alot of food pr0n.

New Pal Frank
05-08-2012, 04:36 AM
Great job, Frank!

You do realize that you're hooked, right? :rolleyes:

Thanks Ron.

Yes, I think we are hooked.

We will see you at the Milk Cow Music Festival in northern Indiana in a couple weeks. (shamless plug for the contest :) ) It sounds like it's gonna be a good one.

We are in to judge it but now kicking around cooking it. I told Les i would let him know in a couple of days.

Thanks for all the kind words and I look froward to seeing you again.

New Pal Frank
05-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Great Job! What did you think of your scores?

I was kinda of shocked with our scores.

I knew the chicken and ribs were off a little and the pork and brisket was pretty good but over all scores were higher than I had expected.

Our expectations were much lower. We were going in wanting to have fun, make all turn-in times and not finish last. To say the least we were blown away at awards. Maybe beginers luck.:-D

New Pal Frank
05-08-2012, 04:45 AM
Congrats you guys!
Awesome job! I know you kicked our arses! :becky::laugh:

It was great to meet you both. Sorry we didn't get more time to hang out. I'm sure we'll see you around! :clap:

Yes Wampus, it was great to meet you also and we WILL see you around.
And next time you make some of your world famous Wampus Baked Bean, let me know.:razz:

New Pal Frank
05-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Those first calls -- they're deadly. We might as well stick a fork in you.

Congratulations!

That's what I'm thinking.

Maybe some day we will meet up and you can give us some pointers.

Keep up the good work on your end.

MAP
05-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Congrats!!!!! :clap: We also had our first Comp this past weekend and heard our name called 5 times. 6th chicken, 8th ribs, 5th pork and 6th brisket and 3rd overall!!!!!! We were, and still are over the moon and are hooked forever. The people are so awesome!!!!!!

Now to get a second and maybe a third job to pay for this obsession....:laugh:

New Pal Frank
05-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Congrats!!!!! :clap: We also had our first Comp this past weekend and heard our name called 5 times. 6th chicken, 8th ribs, 5th pork and 6th brisket and 3rd overall!!!!!! We were, and still are over the moon and are hooked forever. The people are so awesome!!!!!!

Now to get a second and maybe a third job to pay for this obsession....:laugh:

You Daaaawwwwwg!!!! Very nice job.
Comps can get very expensive.
Keep up the good work.

MattyB
05-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Congrats on your walks! Especially at your first comp....what a rush! I'm curious..... What (if anything) from your experience as a CBJ helped you on the other side of the tent as a competitor?

INmitch
05-08-2012, 08:06 AM
OK I can admit it now. Steve and I were your biggest cheerleaders there. I checked with him a couple times to make sure you had every thing on track. He and I were both hoping that you at least got a call or better....BUT.............you didn't have to beat me in brisket!:boxing::becky::becky::thumb:
I'm glad I was set up next to you. Your great people!! And again CONGRATS!

New Pal Frank
05-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Congrats on your walks! Especially at your first comp....what a rush! I'm curious..... What (if anything) from your experience as a CBJ helped you on the other side of the tent as a
competitor?

Thanks MattyB

I think the fact that we have judged 23 contest in this area and have seen a lot of turn-in boxes has helped.

Could be beginers luck also.

Podge
05-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Frank, I'm sorry for you that you got good calls. Now you're sucked in like the rest of us and will spend thousands $$!!

JayAre
05-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Great job Frank...wish would have been there to see it. Podge is right, you will now be spending thousands of dollars to win tens of dollars