PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship Requirements

Outnumbered
05-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm doing Smokin' on the Pecos in Artesia, NM, on June 30-July 1. It's my wife's hometown and we kill several birds with one stone by going. See the in-laws, get settled in for 4th of July vacation, kids gets to see the grandparents, etc.

My sister in law works for one of the event sponsors and her boss has agreed to sponsor me for the contest. In my one other contest we had a sponsor who paid our entry fee. I have ZERO sponsors at my second contest this weekend. So, to say I have no idea what to ask for, or agree to provide, as part of the sponsorship I'm looking for some direction.

Should I offer to throw a party for the company? (May be a little difficult since I'm driving 800 miles and won't have lots of stuff that I may need.
Just offer to put up a sign with the company logo?
Should I ask for the entry fee? Meat expenses?

He's never done this before and I obviously haven't either. I want to make sure I'm being fair to him, but I don't want to go needlessly overboard either.

Thanks in advance!

msavard
05-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Our Sponsors benefit in a variety of ways... it really depends on what they need.

RedBull is our primary sponsor for the Memphis in May World Champ of BBQ:
They GIVE us $6500 cash plus unlimited product (Usually 40-50 cases) and support us with a fridge for the bar, tables, etc.

In exchange, they GET a catered BBQ Dinner for 50 at our tent (Shoulder, Ribs, Tenderloin, Wings, plus sides) on Friday Night and the ability for their guests to enjoy our bar/entertainment/etc.

On a smaller scale, we have individuals who have given $1000 just for a logo on our shirt, a private table in the booth to drink/hang out at, and a VIP wristband for faster service at the bar.

Things to offer:
• Catered Dinner or even "Takeout" that can be delivered to their office (use a courier if you must).
• Logos on shirts, banners.... banners in the tent if the event is large and exposure is good.
• Passes into your tent to socialize/drink if that is a big part of the event you're in.

It really depends on the event.

motoeric
05-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Do you know what you are getting from them? Are they paying your entry fee, providing your meat, giving you a stipend?

Eric

Outnumbered
05-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Do you know what you are getting from them? Are they paying your entry fee, providing your meat, giving you a stipend?

Eric

Nope. That's sorta what I was looking for to provide them some guidance, as well. They haven't done this before either and they're open to whatever I want to do.

They've even offered up their smoker for the weekend so I don't have to haul mine all the way down there, but I'm honestly a little nervous about using an unknown cooker in a contest.