PDA

View Full Version : nassau/suffolk

rookiedad
08-30-2005, 12:53 AM
i took the kids out for a little road trip today, only fourty minutes from home but i guess that qualifies. stopped in at poppa ricks bbq on jerico tpk. in syosset right on the border of naussa and suffolk. it was the most authentic place that i have found on long island yet. tiny, tin roof, great smoke wafting about, friendly folk. i told them about the site. portions were huge. ribs just a bit TOO smokey. pulled pork so good i had i piece stuck between my teeth and i did not pick it out ... on purpose. they had one of my favorite sides. mangos with peppers and onions. give them a shot if you are out this way. www.popparicks.com. enjoy
phil

chad
08-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Mango with peppers and onions - now THAT'S que food!! :D Jamaican style!!

rbsnwngs
08-30-2005, 08:12 AM
$28.50 for a rack of ribs
I dont care how good they are thats way to much

Trout_man22
08-30-2005, 08:30 AM
$28.50 for a rack of ribs
I dont care how good they are thats way to much

No kidding

Smoker
08-30-2005, 11:07 AM
OUCH on dem rib prices. Maybe if gas was $1.50 a gallon. I see stupid people.

BrooklynQ
08-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Pappa Ricks is an interesting place. He's right on the border of Nassau and Suffolk with his trailer/kitchen in Nassau and his tables in Suffolk county. (Nassau's rules for mobile kitchens are much more lax than suffolk county's) When I was last there we were talking about his desire to compete. He says he's been trying to do it for 20 years but can never find the time. When he retires he says. His stuff isn't bad for commercial que, but I think he'd get his clock cleaned in competetion. Didn't tell him that tho. Why spoil his dream?

rbsnwngs
08-30-2005, 12:33 PM
he competed in grill kings and was 25th overall

BBQchef33
08-30-2005, 02:19 PM
but did he get the pork chops turned in on time.??? :mrgreen:

ok that was the LAST time I'll say that.. :wink:

maybe. 8)

last time I spoke to him.. he cooked EVERYTHING over mesquite.. Which would explain the "too smokey" review. He loves mesquite..andbethefirst to admit it. Ifoundthestuffdecent for commercial..but to me too.. the mesquite was a little to strong.

rbsnwngs
08-31-2005, 08:57 AM
i'm taking a ride out there today just to see what a $28.50 rack of ribs tastes like

rbinms33
08-31-2005, 09:13 AM
Man, it's early.....I first saw this and thought you were talking Nassau in the Bahamas :lol: :oops:

Need more caffeine!

BBQchef33
08-31-2005, 09:49 AM
He loves mesquite..andbethefirst to admit it. Ifoundthestuffdecent for commercial..but to me too.. the mesquite was a little to strong.

has anyone noticedmy space bar is broken?

I forgot to add.. he has a prettydecent texas style chile, as long as ya dont mind the grease layer ontop.. I took thehealthy approachand just kept stirring it in.

brdbbq
08-31-2005, 10:21 AM
has anyone noticedmy space bar is broken?

Your typing looks the same......like chit

smokeonthewater
09-20-2005, 01:07 PM
28.50 does sound like a lot but it will feed 3-4 hungry adults easily. Dry rubbed with sauce served on the side....excellent !!!

gman
10-03-2005, 01:50 AM
Newsday ran a short article about Pappa Rick's several weeks ago. It seems that the Town of Oyster Bay started legal proceedings to shut them down. Something about not having the proper permits to operate a food establishment at that location.