PDA

View Full Version : This year's Brisket source thread

Capn Kev
05-02-2012, 11:08 PM
So,

We've all had some good source discussions over the past couple of years, but the market has changed. Where are you (or do you recommend) buying your briskets from? I've heard the "hot beef market" arguments for increasing prices, but frankly, I refuse to spend more than $5.50/lb. (including shipping).

SRF/SR Wagyus produced some good results last year for us, but I'll be the first to say that a good aged "choice" grade from Sam's earned me some high quality walks last year as well. We finished 2nd in the RMBBQA standings for the year in brisket, and only used Wagyu about 30% of the time.

What are your thoughts?? Let the banter begin.

Kev

Scottie
05-02-2012, 11:27 PM
I like beating wagyu

Capn Kev
05-02-2012, 11:54 PM
I like beating wagyu

I do too Scottie... now that I've switched sources? :razz:

roksmith
05-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Going to be an interesting year for sure. We got lucky and got a couple a cases of primes a couple of months ago in a whim. Then we heard it might be the last of them for our area for quite some time.
We did get one of the Sam's Club "Waygu Style" briskets and it was decent. Don't know how their supply is this year, but it's the cheapest option I've seen...at least for shipping to Ohio.

Brew-B-Q
05-03-2012, 08:10 AM
First place at the Jack was choice from RD. Just saying it can be done.

Scottie
05-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Show off. Are you boys coming to Westmont? I got a fresh bottle of Silver...:grin:

pigmaker23
05-03-2012, 08:57 PM
One of our sponsors, Endicott Meats has Brandt Prime Brisket 16-19 #. For $4.65 pound plus shipping, cooked one two weeks ago and was great, and it won The Jack in 2009.

txschutte
05-03-2012, 09:16 PM
CAB Choice, have used nothing but. I guess I will really find out Saturday.

jbrink01
05-03-2012, 09:18 PM
CAB Prime $2.62# this week for 5 cases. Waygu last year for 2nd half of year. Side by side off season comparisons brought me to primes.

CivilWarBBQ
05-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Nothing wrong with the final quality of CABs, the way we prep them in competition but their geometry isn't consistent. What I like about SRF is the consistent thick flats - sometimes the flats in available CAB packers get really thin and non-symmetrical.

SRF is now north of six bucks a pound though and shows no sign of falling.

Podge
05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
My CAB brisket was 1st at the Jack in 2007. Since I've had to switch to Creekstone, they've given me more 1st's in brisket than CAB. (well, when they're not rotten).. Unless you've learned how to cook a brisket, no choice, prime or wagyu is gonna help you get a call.

Creekstone's website lets you order a brisket for $80 with shipping included. It's a good source if you can't find a good one locally.

CBQ
05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
You can win with choice brisket. We have. Wagu is just a little more forgiving.

Brew-B-Q
05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Show off. Are you boys coming to Westmont? I got a fresh bottle of Silver...:grin:

No Westmont this year. New job and another baby on the way so this will be a light year for us. Not that we really do that many anyways.

AUBBQ
05-04-2012, 12:29 PM
I’m not sold on the Waygu just yet. Until this past weekend I’ve only turned in CAB choice briskets. I cooked a 14 lb choice from Sam’s and a 14 lb Waygu side by side. I had more slices to choose from with the waygu and I felt like the burnt ends were better, but I couldn’t really tell a difference in taste\tenderness from the slices.

Pig Headed
05-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Like Podge said,Creekstone Master Chef Prime. $80 shipped online.

bmanMA
05-04-2012, 01:34 PM
So do guys find the flat is much better with the higher grades (and priced)? I have seen much better results in the point with higher grade cuts, but not sure if the flats follow suite given the long cook and the amount of rendering. Or perhaps hot and fast would better take advantage of the better marbling in the flat?

Pappy Q
05-04-2012, 04:42 PM
My CAB brisket was 1st at the Jack in 2007. Since I've had to switch to Creekstone, they've given me more 1st's in brisket than CAB. (well, when they're not rotten).. Unless you've learned how to cook a brisket, no choice, prime or wagyu is gonna help you get a call.

Creekstone's website lets you order a brisket for $80 with shipping included. It's a good source if you can't find a good one locally.

Hell, if it works for Podge that's good for me.

boogiesnap
05-04-2012, 07:24 PM
seems to work for scottie too.

two mean cooks. just sayin'.

Podge
05-04-2012, 07:48 PM
seems to work for scottie too.

two mean cooks. just sayin'.

hey now !.. we're nice guys !!:caked:

Hot Grill on Grill Logan
05-04-2012, 08:40 PM
we are experimenting with some wagyu, but running a CAB with old faithful recipe as well.

boogiesnap
05-05-2012, 09:38 AM
hey now !.. we're nice guys !!:caked:

:icon_blush: i meant mean as in can really cook. :thumb:

abangs
05-05-2012, 10:09 AM
I just received my first creekstone yesterday. Looks better than any of the CAB choices we've been cooking. We will do a side by side next weekend.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
05-05-2012, 10:11 AM

I agree the Creekstone CABs are good but Winchester may have been our last comp for awhile using them. I can't seem to get my hands on any whole packers bigger than 12lbs lately.

JD McGee
05-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Costco choice packers (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11532759&whse=BD_115&Ne=4000000&eCat=BD_115|6223|74735&N=4034845&Mo=36&No=33&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_115&cat=74739&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&Browse=1&topnav=bdoff)...wet aged for 33 days...:thumb:

big brother smoke
05-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Waygu when I can get it reasonably. Otherwise, I want prime, then CAB.

QueNivorous
05-05-2012, 12:13 PM
My CAB brisket was 1st at the Jack in 2007. Since I've had to switch to Creekstone, they've given me more 1st's in brisket than CAB. (well, when they're not rotten.

How often have they been rotten? Do they make things right when they are? Not sure I'd like getting to a comp and finding I had rotten brisket!

kihrer
05-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I agree the Creekstone CABs are good but Winchester may have been our last comp for awhile using them. I can't seem to get my hands on any whole packers bigger than 12lbs lately.

Are you just ordering online? If so, I'd suggest calling. I called and told them I needed a competition brisket with a nice big flat. While I didn't weigh it, it is easily 17 pounds. This will be my first Creekstone and I will be using it next weekend along with my usual Superior Angus from RD. It looks awesome and I can't wait to see the results.

Podge
05-05-2012, 01:12 PM
How often have they been rotten? Do they make things right when they are? Not sure I'd like getting to a comp and finding I had rotten brisket!

they were rotten just once. And I'd gotten my money back if I returned them. Needless to say, I didn't take them back and they lost my business. I was as mad as you could possibly imagine!

Podge
05-05-2012, 01:13 PM

They seem to be a bit small this time of the year, but the get larger as the year goes on.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
They seem to be a bit small this time of the year, but the get larger as the year goes on.

I hope so. This time last year I got a case from them that was 17lb average in it. My last order has two 12lbers. They didn't send a full case.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
they were rotten just once. And I'd gotten my money back if I returned them. Needless to say, I didn't take them back and they lost my business. I was as mad as you could possibly imagine!

I've gotten them rotten as well. It was only one out of a case of 5 but its happened to me twice.

drbbq
05-05-2012, 03:18 PM
I've gotten them rotten as well. It was only one out of a case of 5 but its happened to me twice.

Are you guys getting these straight from Creekstone or from a local purveyor?

drbbq
05-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I agree the Creekstone CABs are good but..........

Creekstone and CAB (Certified Angus Beef) are two different companies. Competitors actually.

Podge
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Are you guys getting these straight from Creekstone or from a local purveyor?

Local guy.. never had an issue with the online source. But if Andrew (BB BBQ) is getting a full case from the local guy, and one of those briskets is rotten, then it's a creekstone issue, unless the local guy is putting together a case himself.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
05-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Creekstone and CAB (Certified Angus Beef) are two different companies. Competitors actually.

They are Creekstone angus.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Local guy.. never had an issue with the online source. But if Andrew (BB BBQ) is getting a full case from the local guy, and one of those briskets is rotten, then it's a creekstone issue, unless the local guy is putting together a case himself.

These are in sealed Creekstone cases. I haven't had one bad in a while but I have had a couple last year. I have had other problems with that particular distributor though.

drbbq
05-05-2012, 09:05 PM

It depends how long they've been around and how they've been held. A case won't all go bad at the same time even if they're old or been handled improperly.

DocStl
05-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I like beating wagyu

All I cooked with last year were Sams briskets, bought every one of them week of contest....14th overall in TOY Love to beat the Waygus!

dmprantz
05-06-2012, 11:14 AM

From about April through July, all briskets, including Creekstones, get smaller in size. It has to do with how much excersize the animals get and how old they are when slaughtered due to beef demand. The Creekstone briskies you get on line are shipped the day that they are processed, so the meat is like 5 days from kill date when you get it. Unless there is an issue with the gelpacks or the plant, they shouldn't be rotten.

dmp