PDA

View Full Version : Good places to eat in New Orleans

kennyd0118
05-02-2012, 08:46 PM
We are heading to Jazz Fest tomorrow.
Last year we had a hard time finding good places to eat.
Breakfast we have covered. We found a great place.
We will be staying on the edge of the French Quarter.
I'm sure there are great places there but after a long day in the sun it was tough to get motivated to hunt them down.
Thanks
Kenny

Riskyguy
05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
I found a great place called Muthers. Not fancy at all but excellent food. A hotel employee told me about it and I went back every night - it was that good. But I repeat, it is not a fancy place.

kennyd0118
05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I found a great place called Muthers. Not fancy at all but excellent food. A hotel employee told me about it and I went back every night - it was that good. But I repeat, it is not a fancy place.

Sounds great. It doesn't need to be fancy. In fact after a long day in the sun casual is great.
Thanks
Kenny

deepsouth
05-02-2012, 09:31 PM
i just got this questioned answered by my new orleans people for a buddy from austin. if you are on facebook, i can direct you to the post. it has all the down and dirty from the locals.

edit: these guys were in for a bachelor party and were looking for casual as well.

kennyd0118
05-02-2012, 09:38 PM
i just got this questioned answered by my new orleans people for a buddy from austin. if you are on facebook, i can direct you to the post. it has all the down and dirty from the locals.

edit: these guys were in for a bachelor party and were looking for casual as well.

I have a FB account but I'm not very active.
I'd love to see the post.
Kenny

deepsouth
05-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Brunch at palace cafe will yield Cochon du Lais eggs Benedict. Verti marte's 24 hour delivery of an all that jazz poboy will make him name his next child after it. A cab ride to Cochon will make him want to switch over to the dark side.

Bourbon house has a great oyster bar and an even better happy hour.

Green Goddess or Lillete for dinner. Root or Patois for lunch. Fat Hen or Atchafalaya for brunch

Satsuma or La Boulangerie for breakfast. Cure, Bombay club, or Tonique for licka

On the super cheap, turtle bay has kick ass pizza and a Cochon du lais po boy that will make a grown man blush. The 20 beers on tap don't hurt either.

Elizabeth's or Oceana for brunch
Domilise's, Liuzza's, and of course Central Grocery for a food poyboy/muffuletta. Turtle Bay for yummy BBQ pizzas!
Beer= Avenue Pub or sit on the outside patio at the Bulldog

Buffa's Sunday Jazz Brunch is pretty fun too! Fried green beans ftw!

And of course let's move onto the drinks: hand grenade (gotta have at least one), pat o's hurricane, pimm's cup from The Carousel Bar, Sazerac from the Sazerac Bar....just to name a few :-)

Aunt tikis is the place to get down with cheap drinks and seedy people and a great juke box

I was gonna suggest some stuff in the M-I-D (Midcity) like Parkway Tavern, Doson Noodle House, Taqueria Guererro Mexico, or Venezia Italian, but seems things have already been sorted.

If you want a good burger, go to Yo Mama's on St. Peter between Bourbon and Royal.

**** come bug me at Cafe at the Square for brunch we serve till 2 on the weekends. we are at saint Charles and poydras. Check out our website. Only a few blocks from canal street. Not a far walk. Should have prices and what not I believe. All great suggestions so far.

hope this helps.

Bigdog
05-02-2012, 10:30 PM
WTF, nobody's mentioned a Muffeletta sammy from the Central Grocery yet?

caseydog
05-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Nawlins has the best food on the planet, IMO. And, they have a lot of wannabee good food.

I think Deepsouth hit on some good stuff.

If you don't mind the touristy thing, the Beignets at cafe du'Monde are really good. And the seven course breakfast at Brennans's will score you some points with the significant other -- for a price.

It's been a good ten years since I've been to Nawlins, so I don't know what has changed. I used to go at least once a year with the wife, but haven't done that since the divorce.

Like any good food city, eat where the locals eat.

BTW, stay on the crowded streets. Do NOT take a shortcut from one crowded street to another via an alley with nobody on it. Nawlins is a fun city with great food, but bad things can happen if you venture away from the crowds.

CD

kennyd0118
05-03-2012, 04:20 AM
Thanks All.
On the way to Logan.
-Kenny

deepsouth
05-03-2012, 06:07 AM
WTF, nobody's mentioned a Muffeletta sammy from the Central Grocery yet?

That's in my post. ;)

Bigdog
05-03-2012, 06:23 AM
That's in my post. ;)

Sorry, I missed it the first time through. Ideal Sammy to take with you on the go. Keeps even for a long time without refrigeration. Also very handy to have when you are out drinking to help stay a little more sober. :thumb:

SmokeInDaEye
05-03-2012, 09:00 AM
I just made reservations at Cochon for a visit in October, plus a return to all my old college haunts uptown.

kennyd0118
05-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks to all who made suggestions. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to eat much in the city or the French Quarter. By the time we got back from Jazz Fest and showered (not optional!), it was too late to since it seems like most places close around 10.
BTW, Envies in the Quarter has great breakfast. The biscuits are amazing.
Kenny

pfunk
05-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Grilled oysters at Acme are pretty darn good.

grill 'em all
05-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Grilled oysters at Acme are pretty darn good.

I agree with him..the raw ones are great..4-5 dozen raw oysters at Acme with a cold beer or 12 is Heaven on Earth..