PDA

View Full Version : Pre contest Jitters

txschutte
04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm sure you all have them, or have had them.

Getting ready for my first KCBS contest this weekend as the Head Cook. I have been going crazy with list, more lists, journals, then checking my list of lists.:crazy:

Done KCBS before, but just as a lackey. Nervous, hoping for a walk, but just don't wanna be DAL.:laugh:

Vince RnQ
04-30-2012, 08:24 PM
We've done nearly 100 events and we still get the jitters. I think it is perfectly natural and part of the excitement of competing.

MattyB
04-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Good luck! Take notes on things you forgot and didn't expect so you know next time. Don't stress out too much....enjoy yourself (but not too much). Make some friends and some memories and let us know how you did.

K-Train
04-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I think that's pretty normal. Make a check list of all your cooking steps so you won't forget anything during the event. We had our first cook of the season two weeks ago. The guy on our team that I put in charge of timing wasn't there. That messed me all up. I got all nervous trying to do too much. I missed several small steps for each meat which added up to a snafu. As soon as we got home I made a check list. Make that list so even when nervous your good to go.

Big_AL
04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
We competed in our first KCBS event a couple weeks ago and we were pretty nervous going in. How were a couple of newbies cooking on WSM's, sleeping outside in camp chairs under an EZ-Up who didn't even know how to set up camp going to compete with teams sleeping in motor homes and cooking on several thousand dollar cookers?

A couple of thoughts calmed us down...
1. The pressure was on THEM not us. The experienced teams were supposed to win.
2. Instead of getting upset if something didn't go right, we looked this first time out as a learning experience, making note of both our errors and successes.
3. We set a realistic goal...just turn everything in on time.

Especially after we realized the first point, we calmed down, cooked with confidence and surprised ourselves at how well we did.

SDAR
04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Motor home or not, high dollar cooker or not...it doesn't get much easier. It's stressful and exciting. Cook your cook. Be proud and learn from what was right and what was wrong. Listen to the guys that are successful and you will learn the subtleties of a successful contest.

Geez. Just won my first grand and now I think I know it all. Seriously though there is A LOT of great information on here.

boogiesnap
04-30-2012, 09:17 PM
you're a good cook right(i know ya'ar)! that's 99% of the battle. don't sweat, you'll be just fine.

enjoy the jitters, get them juices flowin and go cook!!!

Rub
04-30-2012, 09:35 PM

Always have. I think the day I don't is probably the day I'll quit.

JD McGee
04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Yep...still get 'em...when I stop...I'll quit! :becky: Good luck brother! Better yet...have fun! :thumb:

Diva
04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Where are you cooking??

Harbormaster
04-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Shane,
You're gonna do well.
I'm still really a greenhorn at this comp thing. I've only done 5, but we have been wildly successful by our standards. A call at every comp.
We still follow the same three rules we used at our first:
1. Don't miss any turn-in times.
2. No DQs.
3. No DALs.
Then we just let the chips fall where they may.
Have a great weekend, enjoy the atmosphere, talk with the other teams, engage the public when/if possible.
Have fun!

BigButzBBQ
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Shane,
Just do you. Make as many lists as you want. Like Clark said, in the end don't miss any turn ins, make sure to not do any DQ's and you most likely won't have any DAL issues. Truest in yourself and your abilities. Don't forget to breath and move to your own rhythm, not the one that everyone else thinks you should.

Ron_L
04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
All I can say, Shane is...

I sure hope that Wyatt is going! :becky:

You'll do fine. Have fun and work on getting everything turned in on time. The rest will take care of itself.

bbqbull
04-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Think as a boss like you do in your regular job. I always take an atomic watch and double check it w/my cellphone time. Keep your cool, plan for the worst and hope for the best. If you get a DAL consider it a great learning experience. Don't be afraid to ask other teams for a bit of advice.

Just oversee everything and everything should turn out just fine. Good Luck brother.

Rookie'48
04-30-2012, 11:56 PM
If you have any questions at all,

just ask Wyatt :razz:.

CivilWarBBQ
05-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Don't forget to have fun.

If you don't, you're doing it wrong!

HarleyGirl14226
05-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Our motto is: Have fun, cook well and not come in DAL... The only goal we ever have is to get all four in on time.

Make a checklist and check it before you leave your house, and stick to your game plan.

Fingers crossed for you!

Big Ugly's BBQ
05-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Relax, have a good time, socialize, but when the time comes, cook like you own the place!!!

Patron has been known to calm the nerves.......

Best wishes and good luck!

Podge
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
The day you don't get the Jitters, quit.

Fatback Joe
05-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Always have. I think the day I don't is probably the day I'll quit.

My thoughts exactly.

Scottie
05-01-2012, 09:27 AM
I get amped up at every contest. Before, during and after waiting for rewards. That is part of the adrenaline rush that is so cool.

My recommendation is to drink heavily... OK it's really to make yourself a timeline and stick to it!!! Allow abliytle wiggle room for big meats to be done. But chicken and ribs should be dialed in to be done within 10 minutes... and remember to have fun. Beer in moderation will calm nerves though.

gotwoodnp
05-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Just want to say hi. We will be at the Honky Tonk in North Platte. Look for Got Wood. Anything you need or forgot we will be glad to help in any way we can! We will be setting up on Thursday. BTW my name is Bill, see you there!

fnbish
05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Good luck. While I don't feel "jitters" so to speak I do get ridiculously excited before each one. And when that stops I will stop. But I don't see that happening any time soon :razz:

Rich Parker
05-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I start getting ramped up around 10am especially if the big meats aren't done yet. I on occasion let out a few Rick Flair Woooooooooo's just to ease myself done a little bit.

K-Train
05-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I start getting ramped up around 10am especially if the big meats aren't done yet. I on occasion let out a few Rick Flair Woooooooooo's just to ease myself done a little bit.
Oh Yeah Brother! (in my Randy Savage voice)

txschutte
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Where are you cooking??

North Platte Honky Tonk BBQ Festival.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and bits of wisdom. I have a 2 beer limit on Friday, but after turn ins, it's anyone's guess.:biggrin1:

Thanks for the advice about small achievable goals. That will help..

CBQ
05-01-2012, 01:09 PM
The only goal we ever have is to get all four in on time.

So that 3rd place in NEBS TOY and 1st place for NEBS Rookie TOY was just a happy accident, eh? :biggrin:

Kidding aside, Gail and the other posters are on point. It's just cooking. Do what you do, have fun, and don't worry about the other teams. Our biggest competitor at a contest is ourselves. We know we can do well if we follow our process. My suggestions:

Do your thing. The time to innovate and try new stuff is at home, not at a contest. Don't second guess... "Maybe we should use a different sauce on this"
Write it down and check the list. What seems obvious and clear at home may slip your mind when it's 5AM, raining, and the power goes out for the 6th time.
Monitor, Monitor, Monitor. It's easy to cook one or two meats, but with four at a time things could go from moving slowly to happening very quickly all at once. Don't overcook one meat because you were focused on something else.
Relax. You know how to cook. Don't worry.

deepsouth
05-01-2012, 01:39 PM
congrats and good luck.

deguerre
05-01-2012, 01:53 PM
All I can say, Shane is...

I sure hope that Wyatt is going! :becky:

You'll do fine. Have fun and work on getting everything turned in on time. The rest will take care of itself.

If you have any questions at all,

just ask Wyatt :razz:.

Now y'all just KNOW he was joshin' about the whole "Head Cook" thingie...

Oh, and, go get 'em!

Parts_Guy
05-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Our 1st comp of the season is not until Memorial Day weekend and I already have nervous. I competed in hundreds of wrestling matches growing up and I would almost puke before every match, even the ones where I knew I would win. Like someone else said, I would be nervous if I didn't get nervous.

BBQ_MAFIA
05-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Have a great time Shane!

Just do what you do and all will be fine.

WineMaster
05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
You'll do great! Have fun

HarleyGirl14226
05-01-2012, 03:00 PM
So that 3rd place in NEBS TOY and 1st place for NEBS Rookie TOY was just a happy accident, eh? :biggrin:

Kidding aside, Gail and the other posters are on point. It's just cooking. Do what you do, have fun, and don't worry about the other teams. Our biggest competitor at a contest is ourselves. We know we can do well if we follow our process. My suggestions:

Do your thing. The time to innovate and try new stuff is at home, not at a contest. Don't second guess... "Maybe we should use a different sauce on this"
Write it down and check the list. What seems obvious and clear at home may slip your mind when it's 5AM, raining, and the power goes out for the 6th time.
Monitor, Monitor, Monitor. It's easy to cook one or two meats, but with four at a time things could go from moving slowly to happening very quickly all at once. Don't overcook one meat because you were focused on something else.
Relax. You know how to cook. Don't worry.

Chris - I forgot to add a suggestion...one that I very much wish I had followed last season...

Don't end up in the ER. :thumb:

G$
05-01-2012, 03:42 PM

Getting ready for my first KCBS contest this weekend as the Head Cook. I have been going crazy with list, more lists, journals, then checking my list of lists.:crazy:

Done KCBS before, but just as a lackey. Nervous, hoping for a walk, but just don't wanna be DAL.:laugh:

We don't get the jitters. So, if you got 'em, you are probably doing something right. Good luck!

lcbateman3
05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Just remember you can only control what you can do. Once that box is turned in, it is out of your hands. Don't stress over the little things, it will kill you. Get a little sleep if your cooker will let you, you will be thankful for it at turn in time. Have fun, meet the people around you. Remember in the end it is just BBQ.

Coz
05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
POPITUDE and NEVER GIVE UP ON THE BOX ! 2 Things I learned here. I must be the odd man out on the nervous thing ? only time I get nervous is in the damn search for brisket and awards.

Capn Kev
05-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Shane, I am getting them too. Having trouble sleeping at night ;) Happens every year for me.

Just remember, you have friends around and if there's anything you forgot, or if you're looking for some pointers, don't be afraid to ask. I'll be there cooking with my wife. See you there!

Kev

didisea
05-01-2012, 07:39 PM
My favorite things to remeber are:
"ANY Given Sunday - I can beat anyone!"
"Don't make blocking and tackling errors with the cookers"
"Listen to that little voice in your head more"
"Play the hand your dealt - its how you deal with crisis that will matter-don't panic"
"Don't use Truffle Salt - you may think its yummy, but the judges don't"

NorthwestBBQ
05-01-2012, 08:15 PM
You will do fine.

HawgNationBBQ
05-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I tend to look at things as “what is the worst possible scenario” and work from there. The worst scenario is you come in last place. Set a realistic expectation for yourself and try to achieve it. Most of all have fun.

Oh, and have a timeline.

speedrcer1
05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
As you have done it as a Pit Bi*%h, you know the ropes. It's just cooking your stuff now.
Have fun with it. I'm sure you know some people already.
Now I'll try to remember these words when I do the same later this year!!
:thumb:

va92bronco
05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
I've had the "jitters" so bad this week that I am on this site all day. 1st contest this weekend, so I am climbing the walls in anticipation.

daninnewjersey
05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey man, I'm in my first comp which isn't until JULY and I'm already staring at the ceiling at night thinking about it......:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Brew-B-Q
05-02-2012, 11:00 PM
I get the jitters really bad two times per comp. First is on Friday making sure I have the right meat, getting there on time, and finding an ok spot. Then, boxing chicken is the worst part of the comp. I'm so jacked up/hungover that it is a real good test of nerves. After that, it all flows pretty well. Damn chicken for whatever reason. We have a very detailed plan that helps, even if we don't adhere to every step. More of reminders that keep us in check in case things happen, like bad weather or something. Just have fun and don't take it too seriously.

Scottie
05-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Brew-B-Q hungover? I need to hang with you guys...

porkingINpublic
05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I've had the "jitters" so bad this week that I am on this site all day. 1st contest this weekend, so I am climbing the walls in anticipation.

Ha I'm doing the same thing!

Ashmont
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Okay Shane here we go..... Suck it up and you know the dance and will do fine. Fark if I can do what I did this week you surely can do a comp. I got your back (From STLville) Good luck Sir....

boogiesnap
05-03-2012, 03:13 PM
heck, i have a comp in 2 weeks and it's already keeping me up at night. in a good way mind you, but sure, i certainly get 'em.

hamiltont
05-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Congrats to Shane (TXSCHUTTE) and Bill (GOTWOODNP) for their walks at the Honky Tonk BBQ Festival. Sorry if I missed someone. Please feel free to pipe up. I didn't compete. Just judged. I'll have to say it was an excellent Comp. Sonny Ashford was the Rep and did great job. Cheers!!!

big brother smoke
05-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Woo-Hoo, Shane got a walk!:clap:

txschutte
05-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Woo-Hoo, Shane got a walk!:clap:

Actually, we got two.

9th Brisket, 3rd sauce. We placed 27th of 44. Not great, but something to build on. Our goals were on time turn ins, no DQ's, no DAL's, and HAVE FUN!! We did that and more!! Thanks to Bill from Got Wood for his kindness in his offerings of help. There was one team there that really were our cheerleaders. Jeff and Lisa Naslund from Red Bandana BBQ were parked right next to us, and they pretty much gave us a boost when we needed it. BBQ Folks are the best folks in the world.

The Brethren represented today. Got Wood, The Swinestones, The Whosoevers, and more.

Congrats to Phat Jacks for the GC!!:clap:

Rookie'48
05-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Congrats Shane!!!

So . . . did you keep Wyatt out of school to cook the brisket :twisted: ?

BigButzBBQ
05-05-2012, 10:27 PM
You walked in Brisket, sounds pretty kickass to me! :thumb:

Sent from my World Dominating DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

txschutte
05-05-2012, 11:21 PM
:wink:You walked in Brisket, sounds pretty kickass to me! :thumb:

Sent from my World Dominating DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Told you they'd like that stuff.:wink:

BBQ_MAFIA
05-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Congrats Shane!

Harbormaster
05-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Way to go Shane and crew!

CBQ
05-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Chris - I forgot to add a suggestion...one that I very much wish I had followed last season...

Don't end up in the ER. :thumb:

Ya. We have trouble with that one. We have had 3 people go to the ER since we started this in 2006. The last one was at the Pittsburgh Sam's Club contest last year. Joan cut herself trimming the brisket, and needed ER treatement. We got a 178 for that entry, so I am trying to talk her into repeating that process. :becky:

Congrats to the OP for getting the walk. Of course, now that you have been in a competition and gotten a call, it's only a matter of time before you have an expensive cooker and a motorhome. You have been warned! :wink:

gotwoodnp
05-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Great job guys. Glad I got to meet you, hopefully we will see you down the road. Thanks Tom it was great meeting you too!

HarleyGirl14226
05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Congrats Shane!

Dr_KY
05-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Outstanding work Shane!!!!!

Congrats brother!!!!!!!