PDA

View Full Version : Sliced Pork

kwas68
04-28-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm wondering how sliced pork including the money muscle, however not exclusively money muscle, would be received by the judges. The proposed slice would have three lobes (money muscle in the center) in cross-section and a flat/cut bottom. Reference watertower's post here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34340&page=3

I have a hard time finding butts with a substantial money muscle and I have not become adept at trimming it out. The other lobes are just as delicious IMO so I don't see the harm unless it falls apart. I'm thinking "more is more."

I've reviewed submissions at bbqcritic and noticed that a fair number of people take this approach and have not been criticized for it. Just want to make sure before I do the same.

Your thoughts?

QansasjayhawQ
04-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Excellent question!

Well, I for one, would never 'count down' an entry for not using the 'money muscle'.

As long as it's pork and you can get it to actually taste like pork - well, you're far ahead of most of the teams out there looking to cook pork!

And by that I mean . . . do not attempt to make your pork taste like beef roast. (Had that happen just today.) and do NOT try to make your pork taste like chicken (also had that happen today) and MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL . . . do not try to make your pork taste like OYSTERS!!!! Yuck! (Didn't have that happen today, but I wake up in cold sweats from time to time remembering that trauma!)

:-)

Lake Dogs
04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Regionality might play a factor in here. Before Pitmasters a few years ago, in this region we'd RARELY see sliced come across the table and rarer still would it be worth a darn. That said, I'm in the deeeeep south where sliced historically brings up images (for those of us eating barbecue [pork] for many years) of undercooked and fatty pork. Your region could be very different and not be subject to those biases. I think it's possible, but be careful to make sure that all the fat has rendered and that the meat isn't a little tough.

GreenDrake
04-29-2012, 11:16 AM
I have been trying to find resources and sliced pork prep info, tough to find, trial and error. I want to use the money muscle this year but the injections are coming up too salty or over seasoned tasting, I may just marinade a little bit and try it this week.

ModelMaker
04-29-2012, 12:07 PM
We had several entries at the Frostbuster this weekend, and for myself I was tickled to see them!!
They were "OH SOOO GOOD"
Ed
Rendered fat is the key....

jketron
04-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Doesn't need to be MM, it needs to look so good I want more and of course taste just as good

Ford
04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
For those other muscles sauce thin and applied 2 or 3 times can be your friend. Sauce needs to be thin and hot. Over the last 6 months I've had a number of 2nd place calls doing this. Getting first here in FL is tough with so many excellent pork cooks.