View Full Version : comp and electric question

04-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Entry Fee includes Electrical Hookup and Bag of Ice (20lb). Applicant Team must provide 100 ft. RV Rated extension cord.

RV rated mean it needs the special RV plug or just heavy gauge wire?

04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Normally it is a type of plug, plus the cord is a larger diameter. A 50 amp cord is a different plug, a 30 amp is a normal plug. I would get the 50 amp and an adapter, both available at Wallyworld. The cord isn't real cheap but the adapter is only $3 or $4. That way you can use it on either type and not have to scramble to get the right one.

04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
This is a 30 amp plug

This shows the
different configurations.

http://frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20References/plugandreceptacleconfiguratio.htm#30%20Amp (http://frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20References/plugandreceptacleconfiguratio.htm#30%20Amp).

You can find either a 30 or 50 amp wire with the adapters, but that description 100 ft. RV Rated extension cord, can mean a lot of things.. I would call them and ask specifically what you are plugging into.

If its what im thinking of, a 100 foot 30amp cord is gonna run big bucks. Around here a 50 foot one is $100.

This is a 50 amp

04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
I'd guess they are just talking about a 12 gage cord... 100 feet of 30amp or 50 amp cord would be $$$... 100' of 20 amp or 15 amp 12 gage can push 80-90 bucks....

04-26-2012, 01:39 PM
I bought a 20 amp cord last year and it was over $100. I think that was for 100'? 30 amp cord is almost double that. They aren't cheap.

04-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I used to carry around all sorts of cords, but I ended with just using 10 gauge for everything because it works every place including New Paltz where you can get 30amp service if you want it. (I have 15, 30, and 50 amp converter plugs. As people have said, those are a lot cheaper than the cord.)

A thick cord seems to hold up better to BBQ contest abuse too. For example, Jacked Up could decide to park their vending trailer on it. :becky: