PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smoke in the Valley, Green Lane PA

Chipper
04-24-2012, 07:22 PM
There are 54 teams. Who's in?

kihrer
04-24-2012, 07:25 PM
We're in! Can't wait as this one is just around the corner from where I live.

BurninTree BBQ
04-24-2012, 08:56 PM
We will be there. We will be setup over by the bonfire. Stop on threw for a beverage

fingerlickin'
04-24-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm not competing but I work a mile away and live really close as well so I plan on stopping by. I've never been to a comp before so i'm not too familiar with how it works. Can I still walk around and check people out?

HawgNationBBQ
04-25-2012, 06:42 AM
We are in! 15 minutes from our house. Love it.

HawgNationBBQ
04-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Can I still walk around and check people out?

Sure. It’s open to the public. Stop on by for some beers.

mclancey
04-25-2012, 06:44 AM
We will be there. Does anyone know if they'll let you set up on Thursday night? I emailed them but haven't heard back.

Goddahavit
04-25-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm not competing but I work a mile away and live really close as well so I plan on stopping by. I've never been to a comp before so i'm not too familiar with how it works. Can I still walk around and check people out?

Yep, just be mindfull of when people are busy..

HawgNationBBQ
04-25-2012, 08:30 AM
We will be there. Does anyone know if they'll let you set up on Thursday night? I emailed them but haven't heard back.

They usually are still setting up Thursday night. We tend to arrive around 7:30am on Friday morning.

Slamdunkpro
04-25-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm not cooking but I might wander up and pit slave / run boxes if anyone needs a hand.

ique
04-25-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm in. Got about a 5 hour drive probably will arrive mid afternoon Friday.

Big George's BBQ
04-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Would love to do this but my niece is getting married that weekend

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
04-25-2012, 11:00 AM
I hope to arrive mid-morning. Safe travels everyone.

Chipper
05-04-2012, 04:24 AM
If any Brethren are interested, we will host a shot at our spot. Not sure what time, as we will be doing all the ancillary stuff. How does Friday at 6:00 sound?

Goddahavit
05-04-2012, 06:44 AM
If any Brethren are interested, we will host a shot at our spot. Not sure what time, as we will be doing all the ancillary stuff. How does Friday at 6:00 sound?

Shot always sounds good!!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-04-2012, 07:04 AM
any one doing the peoples choice ribs?

smokinit
05-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Shot always sounds good!!

I'll bring the beer this time:thumb:

mclancey
05-04-2012, 07:20 AM

No, Would have liked to but I'm afraid it could throw me off schedule, I'm doing the dessert turn in and I start working on other things between 8 and 9. Maybe if I had more people on my team.

Fornia
05-04-2012, 08:49 AM
We'll be there and another 'local' looking forward to the short drive.

We're doing the PC ribs....IF, we can find Hatfield's product around us before then.

kihrer
05-04-2012, 09:02 AM

I am doing the PC ribs.

Q Haven
05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Q Haven is in. Our first time at this one, and our first KCBS contest of the year. We are rolling in Thursday and staying until Sunday. Looking forward to our first PA comp! Stop by and say hi!

kihrer
05-04-2012, 11:58 AM
We'll be there and another 'local' looking forward to the short drive.

We're doing the PC ribs....IF, we can find Hatfield's product around us before then.

If you are getting to the contest via the PA Turnpike's NE Extension, you will be heading through Harleysville on Hwy 63 to go to Green Lane. After you cross over HWY 113, you will go about two miles or so and you will see a shopping center on your left called Landis. They sell Hatfield spare ribs there but they are already cut St. Louis style. I don't use them for competition cause I prefer to cut my own and I use another brand but I will use them for People's Choice.

Also, if enough of you are concerned about getting the Hatfield ribs, let me know by Monday. I have a friend who is retired from Hatfield Meats and I can ask him to go to the company store and buy me a case or two.

Lakeside Smoker
05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Cant wait!

Do any of you local guys know of any good beer bars, or brew pubs in the area? Any good local beer in the Green Lane area that I should try?

Thanks!
-Mike

kihrer
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Cant wait!

Do any of you local guys know of any good beer bars, or brew pubs in the area? Any good local beer in the Green Lane area that I should try?

Thanks!
-Mike

I think the closest brew pub is going to be in Collegeville. That's down HWY 29 but probably 30 minutes away. There are closer bars to Greenlane but even though I am not far from there I don't hang out much in that area. The East End Alehouse in Harleysville isn't far from the competition (maybe 10 minutes) and has the following selections on Tap:

April 26, 2012

Blue Moon
Horn Dog
Saison Diego Green Flash
Longtrail Triple Bag
Six Point Resin
Flight
Hoegarden
Coronado Idiot
Lindemans Framboise
Yuengling
Grimbergen
Guinness
Miller Lite
Stella Artois Belgium
Victory Uncle Teddys
Victory ESB
Spaten Pils
Firestone Walker Porter
Port Brewing Company Mongo IPA
Goose Island IPA
Non Alchoholic
Kutztown Birchbeer

Lakeside Smoker
05-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-04-2012, 01:56 PM
I think the closest brew pub is going to be in Collegeville. That's down HWY 29 but probably 30 minutes away. There are closer bars to Greenlane but even though I am not far from there I don't hang out much in that area. The East End Alehouse in Harleysville isn't far from the competition (maybe 10 minutes) and has the following selections on Tap:

April 26, 2012

Blue Moon
Horn Dog
Saison Diego Green Flash
Longtrail Triple Bag
Six Point Resin
Flight
Hoegarden
Coronado Idiot
Lindemans Framboise
Yuengling
Grimbergen
Guinness
Miller Lite
Stella Artois Belgium
Victory Uncle Teddys
Victory ESB
Spaten Pils
Firestone Walker Porter
Port Brewing Company Mongo IPA
Goose Island IPA
Non Alchoholic
Kutztown Birchbeer

with all this beer talk i just wanted to point out that this is NOT a get sauced contest...if it was I would surely win!:boxing:

hope for good weather!
See ya soon!

fingerlickin'
05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Cant wait!

Thanks!
-Mike

If you're coming all the way down from MA and you're into beer you may want to check out Shangy's. It's the best distributor I've ever been to. The selection is astounding. I don't think they have a website and it's about 20-30 min away but worth the trip IMO.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1645

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ShangysTHE-BEER-AUTHORITY/195087762600

The same family who owns the East End Ale House has another restaurant Ortino's Northside (http://www.ortinos.com/northside.htm) a 10 min ride the other direction that has these beers on tap. The food here is good as well if you're not already full of Q.

Prism Felony IPA
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Victory Hop Wollop
Lindemans Framboise
Hoegaarden
Shock Top Wheat IPA
Rogue John John Ale
Hop Ruiter Blonde
Franziskaner
Stoudt's Karnival Kolsch
Grimbergen Double
Stella Artois
Guinness
Michelob Ultra
Yuengling Lager
Yuengling Bock
Coors Light
Goose Island Honker's Ale
Lost Abbey Angel Share

If you just want to hang out for some beers and grab a sandwich or pizza, just head into Pennsburg to the PC Pub (http://www.pizzacomopcpub.com/drafts.htm). They have a couple decent beers on tap and a large menu. 5 min. ride.

kihrer
05-04-2012, 03:10 PM
with all this beer talk i just wanted to point out that this is NOT a get sauced contest...if it was I would surely win!:boxing:

hope for good weather!
See ya soon!

I don't know about that. Is Tim from Porter Mac's going to be there?:becky:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-04-2012, 03:19 PM
I don't know about that. Is Tim from Porter Mac's going to be there?:becky:

thats funny stuff right there. that cat can put em down! and bring it back up.

SmokeInDaEye
05-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Wish I didn't have so much packing to do. Had a blast when the Gnome and i did this contest the first year with our disco lights. Good luck all@!

CBQ
05-04-2012, 07:42 PM
ZBQ will be there.

SmokinGuitarPlayer
05-04-2012, 10:22 PM
We will be there mid-friday-morning ... everybody stop by and say hello to the dog! http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/fredsmusicshop/SGPANDLILLY.jpg

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Wish I didn't have so much packing to do. Had a blast when the Gnome and i did this contest the first year with our disco lights. Good luck all@!

you can break free for a little! come on down, your always welcome!!

HawgNationBBQ
05-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Just sent Shawn an email. Had to cancel. Sorry I will miss my favorite event. Good luck to you guys and hopefully there is a Brethren on the waiting list.

mclancey
05-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Just sent Shawn an email. Had to cancel. Sorry I will miss my favorite event. Good luck to you guys and hopefully there is a Brethren on the waiting list.

Everything OK Mike?

HawgNationBBQ
05-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Everything OK Mike?

Not to be a thread killer or hijacker—having a triple by-pass this Wednesday.

DCFIREMANN
05-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Good luck with the surgery!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Goddahavit
05-06-2012, 06:42 AM

Mike Best of luck, hope everything goes ok, we will be thinking about you.

Chipper
05-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Man, I didn't get to my pc for a day and this thread took off. We will be doing the ribs, and the other two contests.
Good luck to you Mike and we will see you at the next one.
Let's look to do a shot right after the cooks meeting and just before the crowd starts for the ribs.

mclancey
05-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Good luck with the surgery Mike, look forward to seeing you back out there again.

NBBD
05-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Never competed but Visited this comp the last two years... Plan to again this year. That little exposure is the reason I decided to take the CBJ this spring and MAYBE try a comp or two later this summer with my brother...

kihrer
05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Never competed but Visited this comp the last two years... Plan to again this year. That little exposure is the reason I decided to take the CBJ this spring and MAYBE try a comp or two later this summer with my brother...

If you end up coming, stop by and say hello.

Big George's BBQ
05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Also had a good crawfish boil Wish I could do this one but have other committments Will try to stop bye

Big George's BBQ
05-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Best of luck Where you having this done Keep us informed Let me know if there is anything I can do- we are neighbors

widespread
05-06-2012, 06:35 PM
That mudbug boil three years ago was great! Best wishes for a speedy recovery Mike.

Sledneck
05-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm mudbugs

Goddahavit
05-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm mudbugs

you building our boxes this year?

chickenchoker
05-07-2012, 06:28 AM
bet of luck with the surgery Mike, you will be fine... my father had a quad bypass almost 2 years ago now. he will be 70 in June and is doing great. working on his trike every day and getting back in the swing.
the chicken chokers will be rolling in friday morning

SmokeInDaEye
05-07-2012, 09:15 AM
That crawdaddy boil was a blast. At least until Sal stole a golf cart...

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-07-2012, 09:27 AM
That crawdaddy boil was a blast. At least until Sal stole a golf cart...

borrowed a golf cart. until it ran out of juice ...

Sledneck
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
you building our boxes this year? great contest , think ive attended them all but I got a chili contest that Saturday

NBBD
05-08-2012, 08:58 PM
If you end up coming, stop by and say hello.

Definitely planning on it!

SmokinGuitarPlayer
05-08-2012, 09:49 PM
If anybody needs last minute items, I'm bringing orders with me ..just order on our website and mark them "store delivery" and put a note to have it sent with me ... or email me off list and we'll get you taken care of.
FB/SGP