PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm too thin skinned, but

jbrink01
04-23-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm already tired of the inuendo and complaints about winning my hometown contest 2 years in a row, and it's only been 2 days. Just for the record, anybody that has an issue with my win can look at my year long performance last year and kiss my fuzzy white arse.:mmph:

You wanna do better, cook better!

Ron_L
04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Really? Are people that petty?

Congrats on the win, Jeff! You're a great cook, so don't let them get to you!

Outnumbered
04-23-2012, 10:56 AM
My favorite saying I learned from a former marine who is kind of a big shot farmer in his area who lots of people don't like due to his being a big shot farmer when they're not. In the spirit of this board, he says "Fark em."

You earned it, you deserve it. Don't let somebody who can't win (like me) bitch (not like me) about the fact that you do.

OutlawSwine
04-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I double dog dare you to win it next year. :-P

Congrats and screw 'em.

MAP
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I would assume that alot of judges came from your area and you being a resident of that area I would think you would know what the people in your area like in BBQ. Simple math to me.

Congrats on the win!!!

walrus79
04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Just reread the last thing you typed...that's would be my sentiment to the doubters/haters! Oh yeah...and effem like Outnumbered said! I'd love to win back to back events and have your same issue to deal with ;-)!

landarc
04-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Tell em to just learn to cook. Whiners!

Cast Iron Chef
04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Congrats on the win! Joke em if they can't a ****.

Todd Ras
04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Jeff, hang in there and Haters and goin Hate :caked:

Good cooks win (shocking I know). You have been nothing but nice everytime we have talked or seen you. Keep on doing what you're doing and let them kiss your A.. from behind.

Slamdunkpro
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
When they bitch to you about it smile and hand them a card for your next competition cook class.

deepsouth
04-23-2012, 11:32 AM
grats on the win. nothing uglier than a sorry loser.

Rich Parker
04-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Maybe you are looking at this the wrong way. If they are complaining that means you have them intimated and scared. That's a win in my book!

Mrs. McFrankenboo
04-23-2012, 01:58 PM
If you were handing th judges money as you were showing them your boxes and got 180s in everything they might have a reason to talk but that is just ridiculous! Congrats on the win, enjoy it!!

HawgNationBBQ
04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Dude -- a win is a win. Itís lonely at the top and chicks dig scars.

Congratulations on your win and just to show them who is boss, win it again next year.

watg?
04-23-2012, 02:05 PM
win, win, win, then win again!

amv81
04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Well.. somebody has to win, tell them to plug their crockpots in a little earlier and try again next year. Congrats. :laugh:

nthole
04-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Bitchy bitches. In wouldn't have mattered if it was Washington MO or Washington DC, you still would have beat their arse and they still would have been a loser. Great job, I appreciate competing with you and getting to see what hard work and determination can lead to.

MattG
04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Tell them to stop giving the judges those sick pigs that your cooking. :mrgreen:

fnbish
04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
If it were me I would tell them I have trouble hearing bitchy, whiny, complaining, jealous little babies atop my highly perched throne of winning!!!!!! :becky: Keep on killing it.

wyocurt
04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
When you cook good que its always rewarded. CONGRATS AND MANY MORE. Maybe if some would practice a little they could cook good Q.

nthole
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
If it were me I would tell them I have trouble hearing bitchy, whiny, complaining, jealous little babies atop my highly perched throne of winning!!!!!! :becky: Keep on killing it.

^^^^^^^^
I like this very much! :clap:

hamiltont
04-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Just the more incentive to kick their arse next year IMO. Some folks aren't happy unless they're bitchin' about somethin'. I tend to avoid those types of folks once their real personality is revealed. Sounds like your above that so keep your head up & keep on truckin'.... Congratulations on your accomplishments!!!

Fatback Joe
04-23-2012, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't say a thing. Don't give them the satisfaction of getting a reaction.

paydabill
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I guess we left too early - even though we had to go over a sidewalk to get out.

Who would bitch - how would they know it was you? Unless your parcely spelled out B&B.

Found out they did NOT like my chicken - which was wierd, it was probably the best I cooked in the last 2 years. Hunter even ate 2 pieces, he has never done that. Oh well.

Congrats!!

Cack
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
As 2 great and very successful coaches have said ... "People "like" others when they beat them. People don't like those they can't beat. I'm ok with people not liking me." something to that point

Brewmaster
04-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I heard Jeff used Pork Collars. Oh wait, that was Dennis. I love rumors.

Bentley
04-23-2012, 03:40 PM
What it boils down to me is faith in the promoter and the reps to run the contest correctly. Anyone that questions the outcome of said event is also questioning the intergity of both of those in my mind.

SMOKIN PITTS
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
It seems to go on alot at BBQ events some people just can't take the losing!! As long as you have fun and not at work Life is Good. Congrats on the win

Ashmont
04-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Jeff I will enter next year! Soo problem solved! You did good and deserve the win!!!!!

ammoore
04-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Wahhhhh, I didn't win.
Hey, I didn't do as well as I would have liked.
What can I say, sometimes humble pie doesn't taste good. I ate my share of it this weekend.

Jeff, I know it gets old...real quick but don't let the whiners bring you down.
Big congratulations on the repeat, enjoy it.

Fat Freddy
04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I would be happy winning ANY contest, but besides a few major ones the main one would be my hometown contest. Not that i wouldnt give 100% at any contest but my hometown one I would really try to go above and beyond. I say congrats and tell them to eff off.

butt head
04-23-2012, 03:55 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Head+Up+Your+Ass+_8023d3_361.jpg (http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Head+Up+Your+Ass+_8023d3_361.jpg)
tell them to speak up you can't hear them like this :biggrin1:

Rookie'48
04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Jeff, I haven't read the other comments yet - just to keep them from influencing my thoughts.

I've been a judge at more than a few comps that you've cooked in and I've seen you get called up to the stage at least once in a lot of those contests. All that means to me is that you must know how to cook - no matter where you're doing it :-D.

To me Jeff is going to be a strong competitor wherever he happens to show up, as will most of the other strong teams that keep hitting the winner's circle on a regular basis. If someone's got a problem with that I'd say that they better learn how to out-cook B & B instead of beotching about it.

(or maybe they could ask you to hold a class for them :twisted:)

Rub
04-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Get used to it. Losing can bring out the worst in some people. When/if someone brings it up, give them a big smile and a wink, it drives them nuts. Don't get sucked in - take the high road. And remember, it beats not winning.

Bunny
04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
What it boils down to me is faith in the promoter and the reps to run the contest correctly. Anyone that questions the outcome of said event is also questioning the intergity of both of those in my mind.

We ran it correctly!

bbqbull
04-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Jeff just pat your wallet. Knowing your man card is still there.

Fark the naysayers/loosers.

Bull

Bentley
04-23-2012, 06:38 PM
We ran it correctly!

I am sure you did. As a matter of fact, if you are Bunny Tuttle, you are Reping the Peak City contest in NC which I am entered in. If I though you didnt, I can assure you I would not be entered.

My point was folks need to believe in the system or don't participate.

Still Smokin
04-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Jeff, you're a winner, they are weiners!!!

My problem is I can't win my local contast, haven't got a call in 3 years running & I have gotten a call in every other contest I have entered (10 comps w/ calls) including 3 each 2nds in Pork, 2 each a third in Chix a 3rd in Ribs and a 3rd in Brisky & numerous top 10s in each category.

manbearpig
04-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Jeff , congrats on the win. While All-Star bbq was there competing this weekend .we sure didn't do as well as we thought we did.But that in no way implies the competion is not fair. In my eyes it is impossible to show favoritism. To me , there is no way the same teams can consistantly get calls unless they are producing the best bbq. Good Job
John

Outnumbered
04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
I did a practice cook yesterday and I feel like I completely bombed on my brisket. I'm not pissed at anybody else for that, just me. If it was contest brisket, I would be last...no question about that.

So, if I did that in a contest, should I blame the guy who walks first in brisket or myself? I'm gonna go with me.

Fark 'em.

jbrink01
04-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Just the more incentive to kick their arse next year IMO. Some folks aren't happy unless they're bitchin' about somethin'. I tend to avoid those types of folks once their real personality is revealed. Sounds like your above that so keep your head up & keep on truckin'.... Congratulations on your accomplishments!!!

You hit the nail on the head. Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope.....

jbrink01
04-23-2012, 10:11 PM
I guess we left too early - even though we had to go over a sidewalk to get out.

Who would bitch - how would they know it was you? Unless your parcely spelled out B&B.

Found out they did NOT like my chicken - which was wierd, it was probably the best I cooked in the last 2 years. Hunter even ate 2 pieces, he has never done that. Oh well.

Congrats!!
Thanks! I swore my chicken was Top 5. It was 29th. Oh well, it all worked out..:icon_blush:

moocow
04-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Jeff, we won our home town contest the last to years and heard the same crap! I will say this, there was a lot more cheers and congrats the first time around. Some people just look at you like you did something wrong. It may bother you now but you got the money, a bung in the jack draw and the respect of your friends. Brush them off, they are just a bunch of jealous idiots!

CivilWarBBQ
04-23-2012, 11:12 PM
That's why we've generally stopped competing in hometown contests. When you win they say:"It's fixed - they always win because they have a restaurant in town." When you don't win they say "That's why I don't eat there, because their food isn't any good".

We've decided the best approach for PR is to settle for a sponsor or vendor role at events in your hometown. If you aren't worried about that then I say ignore the haters and keep on doing what you do!

Bunny
04-24-2012, 08:05 AM
I am sure you did. As a matter of fact, if you are Bunny Tuttle, you are Reping the Peak City contest in NC which I am entered in. If I though you didnt, I can assure you I would not be entered.

My point was folks need to believe in the system or don't participate.

Thanks! I appreciate your confidence and looking forward to NC. And yes, I am Bunny Tuttle. LOL

phil c
04-24-2012, 08:39 AM
The whiners remind me of when I used to mud race, I won my fair share of races and people would always b!tch about something. I loved the cheating claims!
I found the best thing to do was to just smile and let them look at my trophys while I drank their beer!
Let em whine and just smile, YOU WON, YOU DESERVE IT!
Just keep cookin your best and let them play catchup!

erandolph
04-24-2012, 08:49 AM
old phrase we like to use, Boo me on Sunday means I am going to the bank on Monday. Keep up the good work. Others should spend less time complaining and more time practicing.

jcpetro97
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
I am going to skip the Triple Dare and go right for the throat.. the Triple Dog Dare... so I TRIPLE DOG DARE you to win it again next year!!

Seriously though.. congrats... its hard enough to win a comp once, let alone two years back to back...

big matt
04-24-2012, 04:15 PM
First off congrats Jeff..consistency always pays off and like others have said just keep on cookin..as for the little crybabies..STEP YOUR GAME UP!..or shut up it's that simple.

Dr_KY
04-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Just smile and keep on doing what you do. Soon you will see the groupies will start trying to emulate and claim it as their own. Stay in front of the pack of haters, it keeps everyone motivated. :heh:

Congrats on the win.:clap2:

mbshop
04-24-2012, 11:59 PM
as mentioned, just ignore them. it drives folks crazy. i went to a bike rally loooong ago. did the bike games. i was just having a hoot and was surprised that i got third place. then a guy started mouthing off about it saying it was his. so i go up to him in front of all his frienda and such, hand him the trophy and i said " here, you obviousely needs this more than i do". well he got embarrassed and didn't take it and he got seriousely razzed by his friends. so be proud of what you accomplished !!

jbrink01
04-25-2012, 08:41 AM
IMHO, Bunny and Rich are 2 of the best reps out there. If it looks improper, they don't do it. They take no carp from anyone, and the rules are the rules. Sure wish we could clone them............

ParkAvenue_2
04-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Jeff -

We didn't make it over to the Washington contest this year as we have the last few years, as we chose to do another contest instead. It's a great event, and we hope to be back next year, however.

Congrats on your win. I wouldn't worry about whiners, the event is a great event, judging is obviously fair and impartial, so hold your head and high and be proud of the W.

Maybe we can come out and give you a challenge next year. :pray:

Plowboy
04-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Jeffy, if you wanna be on top, you gotta take a few arrows. Suck it up, buttercup.

jbrink01
04-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Jeffy, if you wanna be on top, you gotta take a few arrows. Suck it up, buttercup.

Oh, I'm fine with it my friend. It just boggles my mind the galactic stupidity of some people.

Bigdog
04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Tough deal Jeff. I admire you for even entering your hometown contest. It's kinda a loose-loose deal. If you win, folks either say "Well he should have," or "It was fixed," or whatever else they are saying.:tsk:

And you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned: "Galactic stupidity.". Pay no attention to them. Soar with eagles and ignore the turkeys, or eat the peaches and spit out the pits!

nthole
04-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Oh, I'm fine with it my friend. It just boggles my mind the galactic stupidity of some people.

Galactic stupidity? Like boba de fet? :grin:

SHBBQ
04-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Congrats on the win! There is a reason why God gave you two ears brother, so things can go in one, and right out the other!

Bunny
04-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Congrats on the win! There is a reason why God gave you two ears brother, so things can go in one, and right out the other!

I've never heard that (no pun intended) but I sure like it! :-D

Bunny

beam boys bbq
04-25-2012, 10:58 PM
IMHO, Bunny and Rich are 2 of the best reps out there. If it looks improper, they don't do it. They take no carp from anyone, and the rules are the rules. Sure wish we could clone them............

when me and jeff were on the board the first year getting this thing set up rich and bunny was at the top of the list of reps me and jeff wanted them there for two reasons they are fun to be around and they are there for the cooks to get an even playing field ( and bunny is an hard ass and we love her for it ) :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

jeff won because he out cooked everyone in the field that day
next sat could be something different and we all know that
that is what drives us to cook every weekend :boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing:

york has spoken LOL :-D:-D:-D:-D

4 smokin butts
04-26-2012, 07:59 AM
I heard Jeff used Pork Collars. Oh wait, that was Dennis. I love rumors.
no that was saddlers brisket,kcbs approvial:loco:

4 smokin butts
04-26-2012, 08:28 AM
great win ,we had 4 in a row 2 years ago ,and heard some talk behind our back,i like the saying eailer u got 2 ears, keep it up jeff ,kick ass in ark,make it 2 in a ow dennis

jbrink01
04-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks Dennis! I'll see what happens. That QUAU guy is gonna be in Ark, and he's sorta tough......;-)

4 smokin butts
04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
who..........

jbrink01
04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Some dude that cooks Hawaiian food....puts pineapple in everything!

paydabill
04-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Some dude that cooks Hawaiian food....puts pineapple in everything!

Hmmm Pineapple - looks like I need to go to the store!:pray:

Contracted Cookers
04-26-2012, 10:33 PM
come on dude tell us your secrets winning with blind judgeing and good bbq. o.k. just help with the good bbq part. nice win brother

JD McGee
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Fark 'em if they can handle losing...not your problem! Congrats on the hometown win...hope you nail it again next year!
Cheers!
JD

Scottie
04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks Dennis! I'll see what happens. That QUAU guy is gonna be in Ark, and he's sorta tough......;-)

Pfiiifffttttt.... I love beating QUAU. When you can beat the best its way more rewarding.