PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Covered Bridge 'Que, June 15-16, Euharlee GA

CivilWarBBQ
04-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Come enjoy a small town contest at its best!

Deep overall payouts, permanent utilities, shade, carefully selected tables of CBJs in the Terrell Jones tradition. State Champ and GBC points event.

GBC events are selling out well in advance in 2012, so please apply online (http://www.euharlee.com/events_bbq-cook-application.aspx) and avoid the pain of missing out. More at http://www.euharlee.com/events_bbq.aspx or jump directly to the Cooks Info (http://www.euharlee.com/docs/2012_Euharlee_BBQ_Cook_Info.pdf) doc for all the scoop.

If you're on the fence, ask anyone who was here last year. This year's event will be even better!

holysmokes
04-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Great event!

cdkeach
04-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Gary...are you coming up again this year? I know you were passing through last year and it may have been more convenient. Kudzu Q will definitely be there again and I hope we'll see you!

AUBBQ
04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
I was looking at this one. Hopefully, we can make it this yr.

CivilWarBBQ
04-19-2012, 05:42 PM
The only two comments I received after last year were that the trophies were lame and the Tshirts mundane. Both are being upgraded this time, and the prize money increased from 5K to $7500. Plus we have Budweiser as a sponsor, so beer will be served!

Come on and give us a try y'all. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

cdkeach
04-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Gowan...how many teams are being accepted this year?

CivilWarBBQ
04-19-2012, 09:57 PM
We have space laid out for 36, and can fit in maybe 5-6 more depending on how many big rigs we get. I expect we will fill up with no problem.

Last year we had 34, and the trend seems to be that GBC events are maxing out this season.

My goal is not to make Covered Bridge 'Que the biggest show in Georgia, but to make it the best small town contest experience possible for cooks and judges. The City of Euharlee has been very supportive of that mission, so I think everyone who participates will enjoy themselves.

CaptTable
04-20-2012, 06:22 AM
I think the location is really cool. Sort of secluded in the woods feel.

CivilWarBBQ
05-02-2012, 10:29 PM
We have now received team registrations for 2/3 of the available spaces.
Get 'em in now folks before we sell out!

AUBBQ
05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Dropped my check in the mail yesterday! Looking forward to it!

DawgPhan
05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
If you are on the fence, I would go ahead and sign up. It really is a neat contest. Kind of like a bbq contest broke out at a camp ground. Of course you are going to have to beat some of the best BBQ cooks in the country to get your name called.

hogzgonewild
05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
My check was in the mail on April 1st...I'm really looking forward to this one!

JT

CivilWarBBQ
05-03-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm picking up another batch of payment confirmations from the City tomorrow. We're currently at 26 teams registered total. Looks to be a diverse field with teams from AL, NC, TN and LA as well as GA.

Trophies promise to be extra cool - custom one of a kind artwork by a local artist.

Y'all come!

hogzgonewild
05-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Are you having Dale "The Pirate" do them?

CivilWarBBQ
05-05-2012, 12:59 AM
No, these will be completely unique clay and wood sculptures by Keith Lewis of Rydal, GA. Truly cool, one of a kind trophies!

Pigs on Fire
05-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Gowan,

After reading the latest email to the cooks and the info on the website, all I can say is that more contest organizers could take a look at what you have setup and use some of that for their contests. It is simply amazing that "little ole Euharlee" can put together a contest that focuses that much on the cook teams and their satisfaction.

I am sure that many contest organizers go many of the extra miles you have but do not communicate it to the teams...so we are unaware of what they have done. IMO, there's nothing wrong with a little chest thumping from a contest organizer.

Again, great job, we are really looking forward to going back and having that 45 minute drive home. :grin:

Smokin'Swine
05-07-2012, 07:53 AM
We will be there.....looking forward to it!

cdkeach
05-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Pigs on Fire said it right. Last year's competition was one of the best run event's I've been to and it looks like this year will be even better. Nice to see a contest run by a fellow competitor. I imagine Gowan has seen good and bad events and learned from them.

Looking forward to it!

CivilWarBBQ
05-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys.

As usual, I got talked into running the Euharlee event sideways. It seems to happen this way each time - it begins with answering a few questions on the phone, then progresses to a consulting role and then I feel obliged to step in formally down the road when circumstances change for the host organization. I've been involved in various capacities with quite a few other shows in Georgia, including the contests in Young Harris, Canton, Rome & Kennesaw plus a few that no longer exist like the old Georgia Barbecue Classic in Cartersville.

At the end of the day, I think the single most important factor in the success of a BBQ contest is the degree of support from the host community. As a cook, I've always found my favorite events are the ones where teams feel welcome and appreciation is expressed in all the little ways beyond just the writing of prize checks. These are the kind of shows I am proud to be associated with; I leave the for-profit events to folks better suited to that kind of environment.

-GF

CaptTable
05-08-2012, 10:28 AM
It's always a pleasure to work with you, Gowan. It doesn't matter in what capacity . . . judge, cook, organizer . . it doesn't matter.

And as I said earlier, we are so looking forward to the venue of this contest! So relaxing.

Phillip

CivilWarBBQ
05-10-2012, 09:26 PM
We're down to about ten spots left folks, so if you've been procrastinating, the time is now! BTW, a cool car show has been added this year, so you can oogle at Detroit's greatest hits while you wait for awards. :)

CivilWarBBQ
05-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Just a couple slots left. The time is now, kids.

DawgPhan
06-11-2012, 06:47 PM
bump since the contest is this weekend.

Rub
06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Looking forward to this one, my first time!

CivilWarBBQ
06-12-2012, 12:20 AM
As usual, teams are shuffling frantically as it comes down to the wire.
The up-to-the-minute list of confirmed teams is here: http://www.euharlee.com/events_bbq-teams.aspx

Looks like we're going to have great weather, so be you a cook, judge or just a BBQ fanatic, y'all come!

DawgPhan
06-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Rub you will like this contest. I am really looking forward to this weekend. Should be a well run contest and love the payouts for top 10 overall. Not letting judges take home samples from the judging tent is a great idea especially when combined with the assigned judge/team combo after the turn ins.

Rub
06-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Chad everything I've read/heard sounds great. I love it when "one of us" organizes a contest :thumb:

hogzgonewild
06-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I think we are going to bring out the "Hogz Gone Wild Smokin' Good Movie" Theater again this weekend....lol Yall come down on Thursday or Friday night!

CivilWarBBQ
06-13-2012, 01:32 PM
At each contest I organize I try to bring all of my past experience as a cook and judge to the table as well as input from other folks on what they are looking for in a contest.

Euharlee is the first opportunity I've had to make all of the contest decisions myself without major interference from well-meaning committees or other third parties, so whether it succeeds or fails you'll all know where the blame lies. :oops:

CaptTable
06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
You'll do fine, Gowan. Looking forward to it. We will probably arrive late Thursday evening.

Phillip

CivilWarBBQ
06-14-2012, 12:25 AM
I dunno. I'm already having to defend my choice of Reps....

hogzgonewild
06-14-2012, 09:08 AM

Well, you do have to question the capability of anyone who is a Tennessee fan! :tongue:

DawgPhan
06-14-2012, 09:26 AM

who is repping?

hogzgonewild
06-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Phillip and Kathy Brazier :)

CivilWarBBQ
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
^ above is a *joke*.

No hatemail please!

(assuming Tennesee fans actually know how to write...) :-D:-P

DawgPhan
06-14-2012, 10:03 AM
^ above is a *joke*.

No hatemail please!

(assuming Tennesee fans actually know how to write...) :-D:-P

you would most likely get a collection of letters cut from magazines...

if the envelope smells like a krispie kreme, it was phil that sent the letter.

hogzgonewild
06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Holy crap....That Krispy Kreme comment made me hit the floor!

eap0510
06-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Looking forward to this contest as well.
I will not be competing but I will be judging.

This will be my first time judging this contest.
From the list of teams that I just looked at this should be a very highly competitive contest.

-Eric

CaptTable
06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Apparently, GA folks aren't too smart either. They forget who is putting in their scores! 9's and 4's look a heckuva lot alike to us TN folks sometimes!!!!!

CivilWarBBQ
06-15-2012, 04:29 AM
Apparently, GA folks aren't too smart either. They forget who is putting in their scores! 9's and 4's look a heckuva lot alike to us TN folks sometimes!!!!!

Ah hah! :idea:

All becomes clear now. Look for all JMS boxes to be garnished with Fire & Ice pickles instead of parsley from now on. :-D

Hot Sauce Hoss
06-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Wow, Smokin Hoss bleeds orange & and loves dem donuts. Lol

Pappy Q
06-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Phillip and Kathy Brazier :)

Hard to find any better!