PDA

View Full Version : Oakridge BBQ Game Changer review.

boogiesnap
04-18-2012, 07:35 PM
not a shameless plug for my sponsor, i swear.

i soaked some thighs for 2 hours in this stuff, a couple skin on and a couple skin off.

the results were farkin amazing. really! the chicken was moister, more tender, and had excellent flavor(something that has disappointed me in the past with chicken brine).

i know, no pics, kinda empty post, but, i just had to put the word out that i tried the stuff and it works and i would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

next cook, when i'm not so sloppy, thanks ash and the delivery:becky:, i'll post pics.

just thought i'd share a good BBQ product.

PatAttack
04-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Can't wait to try mine!!

Vision
04-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Does the brine enhance flavor or have its own?

southernstyle
04-18-2012, 08:42 PM
maybe a little of both, but definatly has great flavor. when mike asked us to guinea pig it before he released it i was really impressed. i mixed up half strength for 5 hrs then rinsed and applied secret weapon and was blown away. the next week i took it to a contest and scored 2nd in chicken with a almost untested product.

PatioDaddio
04-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Nice! It sounds like another home run from Oakridge.

John

boogiesnap
04-18-2012, 11:45 PM

certainly a bit of both. sorta like how seasoning makes a meats "bark" taste great, but on a subtler level.

it enhanced and complimented the birds taste.

kcmike
04-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks Dylan!

nexpress
04-19-2012, 10:39 AM
What is the average yield out of a 1 pound bag?

kcmike
04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
What is the average yield out of a 1 pound bag?
A 1 lb. bag will make 1 gallon of brine at full strength or 2 gallons of brine at half-strength.

For a visual aid, the bag below is a one gallon zip lock bag and it has 8 large chicken thighs and 3 large boneless/skinless breasts in it with a half-gallon of brine. I could have fit probably another 4-6 thighs in there pretty easily.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mTLqCGtopcI/T4NF3QAid6I/AAAAAAAAAd8/VQ-2iXgtn2s/s1600/MJT_9006cr.jpg

kcmike
04-19-2012, 11:18 AM

As the other guys have said, our new brine does both. It not only enhances the natural flavor of the meat, but it also contributes its own flavoring deep within the meat. While the added flavor always remains subtle and never over-powering, the strength of the flavor contribution is directly related to the strength of the brine as well as the length of the soak. The flavor profile is very unique and not "Thanksgiving turkey-ish" at all. The best way I can describe the flavor is that it's like you know the meat has been seasoned with something, but you just can't put your finger on what it is, but you can't stop eating it because it's so good! The Japanese call it "umami" or the indescribable fifth flavor. The cool thing is; it does all this NATURALLY! We don't use any phosphates or nitrates in our new brine. It's 100% All Natural with no soy, gluten or MSG! :thumb:

Vision
04-19-2012, 12:11 PM
As the other guys have said, our new brine does both. It not only enhances the natural flavor of the meat, but it also contributes its own flavoring deep within the meat. While the added flavor always remains subtle and never over-powering, the strength of the flavor contribution is directly related to the strength of the brine as well as the length of the soak. The flavor profile is very unique and not "Thanksgiving turkey-ish" at all. The best way I can describe the flavor is that it's like you know the meat has been seasoned with something, but you just can't put your finger on what it is, but you can't stop eating it because it's so good! The Japanese call it "umami" or the indescribable fifth flavor. The cool thing is; it does all this NATURALLY! We don't use any phosphates or nitrates in our new brine. It's 100% All Natural with no soy, gluten or MSG! :thumb:

I placed my test order. BTW, how did you get that ziplock back so stuffed? I've never seen one so full.

nexpress
04-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Just ordered 2#. Thanks Mike

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
04-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Its much better then anything I have ever made myself..this is a homerun.

colonel00
04-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the review. I have my brine but have yet to get a chance to try it. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was 8oz per gallon at full strength so you could get 2 gallons at full strength from a 1# bag. Granted, this is from memory and so I could be mistaken.

kcmike
04-19-2012, 12:56 PM
BTW, how did you get that ziplock back so stuffed? I've never seen one so full.

VERY Carefully... :becky:

Actually, it was easy. Just load the chicken into the bag, then set it in your sink. With it setting in your sink, hold onto the opening with one hand and pour the brine into the bag with the other until it's completely full. Then, carefully zip it up. Some brine will spill out as you zip it closed, but not a lot. By doing it this way, you are left with virtually no air trapped in the bag. Just be sure it's 100% zipped closed and don't try this with cheap dollar store bags. :thumb:

kcmike
04-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the review. I have my brine but have yet to get a chance to try it. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was 8oz per gallon at full strength so you could get 2 gallons at full strength from a 1# bag. Granted, this is from memory and so I could be mistaken.

Well, it depends... One pound of dry brine will make 1 gallon of finished brine at full strength, or 2 gallons of finished brine at half-strength.

Quote from the website:

For FULL STRENGTH: Mix 1 level cup (8 oz.) of dry brine mixture to gallon (64 oz.) of water. One pound of brine (2 level cups) will make one gallon of finished brine at full strength.

For HALF STRENGTH: Mix level cup (4 oz.) of dry brine mixture to gallon (64 oz.) of water. One pound of brine (2 level cups) will make two gallons of finished brine at half strength. Use half strength recipe if extended brine times are desired or for enhanced meats.

colonel00
04-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Gotcha, thanks Mike. Like I mentioned, I was just going off memory but that does sound better now that I read it.

kcmike
04-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Gotcha, thanks Mike. Like I mentioned, I was just going off memory but that does sound better now that I read it.

Hey, no problem! But keep in mind, these ratios are just a jumping-off point. Feel free to experiment with it, in fact, I encourage it! Not only with the ratio, but also what liquid(s) you use. Once you've tried it with plain cold water, here's some ideas...

apple juice
beer
ginger ale
sprite
white grape juice
peach nectar