PDA

View Full Version : GBA Pork Loin?

jasonjax
04-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Has anyone competed in a GBA event? I am wondering about the pork loin.

I have often times used a stuffed pork loin recipe, but the rules state meat only, like most other competitions. Makes sense to me, just checking since I might enter one in June, and will have to start experimenting with a pork loin recipe.

Thanks!

bbqbrad
04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Yep. No stuffing the loin!

Lake Dogs
04-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Nope. No GBA folks here.

douglaslizard
04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
you are correct in thinking that you cannot stuff them ,it also has to be a minumum of i think 5 pounds ,it can be bone-in or boneless.hope to see you in Fernandina.

AUBBQ
04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Nope, no stuffing. I’m new to the GBA myself, so I was waiting on some of the other guys. Very cooker friendly org. I’d like to do more GBA events this yr, but I’m not sure I can work them into my schedule. Good luck.

DawgPhan
04-18-2012, 02:21 PM
if you figure out something with loin, let the rest of us know.

smoke it, slice it a little thinner than brisket and a little sauce.

jasonjax
04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
I was just wondering what the judges are looking for considering this is typically a high heat meat. I love cooking and eating them myself, but any sort of judging of the meat will be interesting.

holysmokes
04-18-2012, 04:44 PM
One of the main thing to consider when cooking a pork loin is that it is a blank canvas. There is no fat content to speak of in it so you can do what you want with it. In my experience, GBA judges prefer a sweet profile. Now Im not sure you want to have a candied pork loin, but what do I know? We have used a fruit juice base for an injection and had success with it. The most important thing that I tell people about the pork loin is DON'T OVERCOOK IT. Ive heard that the loin category has been getting more competitive lately. Good luck and I hope to see you down the road. Gary