PDA

View Full Version : "the jack" shade tree division

bluegrass smoke
04-17-2012, 07:54 PM
My family and I made our first trip to THE JACK last fall and had a wonderful time!!!:razz: I would like some help on how to compete in the amateur division . We had such a good time that I would love to be able to take it all in next October.

any help would be much appreciated,
thanks

Alexa RnQ
04-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Contact Debbie Christian about entry in the Shade Tree division. I know they get many applications, but have space for only about three dozen Shade Tree teams.

Debbie Christian
160 Craig Street
Lynchburg, TN 37352
Phone: 931-759-6332
Fax: 931-759-6311
debbie_christian@b-f.com

QueNivorous
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
I think you can also contact Phillip and Kathy Brazier. I believe they have a lot to do with the backyard competition at the Jack.

CaptTable
04-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Kathy & I worked the Backyard for a couple of years, but we stayed so busy we missed out on visiting some of our friends competing on the pro side so we gave it up.

Debbie Christian would be the one to contact, but it is almost as hard to get in it as it is the pro division.

dmprantz
04-18-2012, 08:05 AM
I've been told the trick to getting into the Sharetree division is to make sure you fill out the paperwork and mail it back the same day that you receive it. They fill those spots on a first come, first served basis. The other trick is making sure that Debbie actually sends out the paperwork. Ask her when she sends it out, and call her a week early to make sure you are on the list.

dmp

Scottie
04-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Is there a limit on who can compete? I can't seem to get my bung pulled, so i was thinking of switching to backyard.

bluegrass smoke
04-18-2012, 09:30 PM
I tried to call today and left her a message if I don't hear back by Friday Ill try again.
thanks

CivilWarBBQ
04-19-2012, 03:18 AM
Is there a limit on who can compete? I can't seem to get my bung pulled, so i was thinking of switching to backyard.

I get the sarcasm, but I'll answer that for real Shadetree wannabes.

The Jack is quite strict about keeping Shadetree an amatuer event. If you have *ever* cooked with a Pro team in a sanctioned contest you are inelligible to be on a Shadetree team. Doesn't matter if you were listed as head cook or not.

I can attest that there are no exceptions made to this rule. A few years ago when a friend of mine passed away, his widow and cooking partner asked me to help them out as my friend had already secured a Shadetree slot at the Jack. I was told I could not without causing them to be DQ'ed.

Seems harsh, but I respect Debbie and JD for taking the tough stance. If they didn't, you can be sure the backyard teams would be overrun by opportunists.

Iamarealbigdog
04-22-2012, 08:14 PM

move to Canada, give up your citizenship and compete here,

bluegrass smoke
06-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Ok so I got my application today but it states that the check must have the team name on it.... Does that simply mean in the FOR line or do they want me to open a new checking account just for a BBQ team? Thanks

RX2006JE
06-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I would take that as write it on the for line so they know which teams have paid

bluegrass smoke
06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I would take that as write it on the for line so they know which teams have paid

That what I thought as well