PDA

View Full Version : World Food Championships

ThomEmery
04-17-2012, 04:00 PM
http://www.worldfoodchampionships.com/

Chenernator
04-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Looks really interesting. Do we know if KCBS is signed on?

BBQBeaver
04-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Very cool.

Slamdunkpro
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
I would think so, this is an MMA project.

ThomEmery
04-18-2012, 07:41 AM
right

RangerJ
04-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Appears they are only taking Grand Champions which, um, rules me out....

Sounds like another good time in Vegas! Hopefully some Brethren get to bring home some cash!

Big George's BBQ
04-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Will be interesting to follow

Chenernator
04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Good point. It's just not on the KCBS site yet.

TooSaucedToPork
04-18-2012, 11:10 AM
From the website-

The World Barbecue Championship will bring the greatest competition barbecue teams, cooks and chefs together under one Vegas sky to settle the score and name the World Barbecue Champion. The World Barbecue Champion will go on to the Final Table and see if ‘America’s Cuisine’ will rule the world.
Choosing from all the major sanctioning bodies, The World Food Championships will select 90 premier barbecue competitions. The Grand Champion of those 90 events will receive automatic invitations to enter and compete at The World Food Championships, along with 5 champions selected by the WFC Competition Committee and 5 champions selected by Just A Pinch (http://www.justapinch.com/). What will start with 100 of the best championship pitmasters across all sanctioning bodies, will end up with just one winner.
Saturday, November 3, 2012
Prize Purse: $50,000

Scottie
04-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Maybe mma is doing a KCBS competitor series and just didn't tell anyone at KCBS. I mean, they would do a competitor series event, right? They shouldn't just 'sanction' it themselves when they work with KCBS on our marketing?

TooSaucedToPork
04-18-2012, 02:20 PM
From what I have read on the site, they are picking 90 BBQ Competitions across all of the major different sactioning bodies, MBN,MIM,KCBS,FBA,NCBA,NEBS,PNWBA etc.

That means this contest doesn't have to be sanctioned by any BBQ organization, they just find out the GC of a contest and invite them.

From those 90 comps the Grand Champions get an invite to Vegas.

WFC Competition Committee then chooses 5 teams from applications

And another 5 are chosen by JustAPinch.com

Total field of 100.

Then the winner faces off against the other category groups at a chefs table the next day to deterimine the World Food Champion.

Slamdunkpro
04-18-2012, 02:44 PM
That means this contest doesn't have to be sanctioned by any BBQ organization, they just find out the GC of a contest and invite them.
I wonder who's rules and IP they're using:heh:

TooSaucedToPork
04-18-2012, 03:13 PM
I wonder who's rules and IP they're using:heh:

I would love to see them make their own up unlike any of the sanctioning bodies, to keep it fair so that noone has an advantage. :becky:

One HUGE Chopped table :crazy:

Sledneck
04-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I heard this past weekend williepallooza will be one of the 90 contests

ThomEmery
04-30-2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.worldfoodchampionships.com/news/7

GC invites announced

JD McGee
04-30-2012, 02:31 PM
I can dig it...:cool:

Pacific Northwest BBQ Association

3 contestants (comprised by the Grand Champions of the following 3 events):

OR State Championship BBQ Competition – Aloha, OR
Canadian National Championship – Whistler, BC
Tree Top Skewered Apple BBQ Championship – Selah, WA

Rub
04-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Should be very interesting! I'm guessing the qualifying period began Jan. 1, 2012?

ThomEmery
04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Does the rules page cover it?
Wonder about scoring system etc?
Maybe able to have turn ins timed so a team
could cook Ronnies $125,000 the same weekend

Scottie
04-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Wish I knew about this before I already had my schedule in place for 3+ months... Oh week, as a great baseball team is known for... There is always next year...

Vince RnQ
04-30-2012, 04:33 PM
I think there is a lot of "wait and see" regarding this event.

Bentley
04-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Maybe mma is doing a KCBS competitor series and just didn't tell anyone at KCBS. I mean, they would do a competitor series event, right? They shouldn't just 'sanction' it themselves when they work with KCBS on our marketing?

Wish I knew about this before I already had my schedule in place for 3+ months...

Refresh my memory why I should be a KCBS member again...

Scottie
04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
This is a MMA deal and not KCBS.

MattyB
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I find it strange that, for NEBS, Grillin' on the Bay would be the automatic qualifier. Not to take anything away from that comp, but there are far bigger comps taking place in NY. It's not even part of the Empire State Championship Series... I guess we'll have to focus on Lake Placid this year (and cross our fingers that cancersuckschicago.com takes a year off) :razz:

cdkeach
05-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Interesting that this event is scheduled to take place 11/1-11/4. One of the qualifying KCBS competitions, The National BBQ Cup in Cumming, GA, will not take place until 11/16-17.

Big Ugly's BBQ
05-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Oh well, as a great baseball team is known for... There is always next year...

Didn't know you were an O's fan???:becky::becky:

BoneDaddy's
05-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Only one comp from New England..interesting!

ThomEmery
05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Interesting that this event is scheduled to take place 11/1-11/4. One of the qualifying KCBS competitions, The National BBQ Cup in Cumming, GA, will not take place until 11/16-17.

2011's GC in that case

ique
05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Only one comp from New England..interesting!

Well its an improvement compared to ZERO sams club events in New England

G$
05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
This is an awfully ambitious and broad spectrum-ed project to be ramping on such short notice.

MattyB
05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Well its an improvement compared to ZERO sams club events in New England

Good point.

ique
05-01-2012, 09:44 AM
This is an awfully ambitious and broad spectrum-ed project to be ramping on such short notice.

$300k total prize pool too, will be interesting to see how it plays out

Ford
05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
4 teams from fl already in and the fifth contest is nearly full. Wonder if they'll load cookers into one trailer and all go. They also rank pretty high in the national BBQ rankings right now.

Candy Sue
05-01-2012, 12:51 PM
http://www.worldfoodchampionships.com/news/7

GC invites announced

Woo Hoo!!! A pass down plan in place! Just so you know, this is a totally personal post since I'm the RGC at Jeff City. Maybe Pig Skin will go as Swine Assassins and I'll get a tap to go???

KCBS rules and judging methods will be used. It's my understanding that sanctioning as a competitor series will be sought. I don't know how chili will be judged or any of the other categories -- but it makes sense to me (and only to me) that it'd be simpler to use the same rules throughout, so that all contestants are on the same page.

This is my opinion and my opinion only -- not reflective of anybody or anything at KCBS...

Sledneck
05-01-2012, 01:39 PM
new Englanders only grill they dont bbbq pfffffffft

ique
05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
new Englanders only grill they dont bbbq pfffffffft

Yeah, I've heard that

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/Champs.jpg

ique
05-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Woo Hoo!!! A pass down plan in place! Just so you know, this is a totally personal post since I'm the RGC at Jeff City. Maybe Pig Skin will go as Swine Assassins and I'll get a tap to go???

KCBS rules and judging methods will be used. It's my understanding that sanctioning as a competitor series will be sought. I don't know how chili will be judged or any of the other categories -- but it makes sense to me (and only to me) that it'd be simpler to use the same rules throughout, so that all contestants are on the same page.

This is my opinion and my opinion only -- not reflective of anybody or anything at KCBS...

Congrats on your RGC Candy Sue! Hope you get to go to Vegas.

Scottie
05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Do you guys ever get trophy envy? :becky:

Yeah, I've heard that

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/Champs.jpg

ique
05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Do you guys ever get trophy envy? :becky:

I'm surprised you guys still remember your win. That was a LOOOng time ago.

Scottie
05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
No doubt... look how young we were....

nukenight
05-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Upon investigation of this site, it looks like MMA or its clone marketing department is running the whole thing. So of course KCBS knows about it. It also has a pass down feature if the grand champion from one of the listed events can't make it, then the reserve gets the invite. I know that champions from three good Louisiana contests gets invited!

Bentley
05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
This is a MMA deal and not KCBS.

I stand corrected.

JD McGee
06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I can dig it...:cool:

Pacific Northwest BBQ Association

3 contestants (comprised by the Grand Champions of the following 3 events):

OR State Championship BBQ Competition – Aloha, OR
Canadian National Championship – Whistler, BC
Tree Top Skewered Apple BBQ Championship – Selah, WA

We're in! :becky: Rhana and I qualified with our GC in Aloha yesterday...we're looking forward to the event! BTW...it's under KCBS rules...bottom of the page. See ya there!
JD
http://www.worldfoodchampionships.com/barbecue

As for the official rules and sanctioning process, the WFC will be using the "competitor series" process developed by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. This will provide a judging process that is both blind and fair, so that all teams are guaranteed a level playing field. However, the WFC has not yet announced the meats that competitors will be required to cook in the contest. Official rules, meats, turn in times and processes will be announced on June 29, 2012.

Vince RnQ
06-18-2012, 04:18 PM
I couldn't help but notice that the Smoke on the Water contest in Laughlin, NV that was already on the KCBS website and scheduled for the same weekend has been completely removed from the site. Not listed as "Cancelled" as is what usually happens but completely removed. I just find that to be very odd.

ModelMaker
06-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Per the Iowa BBQ Society minutes, State Championship in Marshalltown (this next weekend) and Up in Smoke in Mason City are qualifiers.
Ed

Balls Casten
07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Just recieved an email telling me we only had 3 days left to register for the contest or our inventation would be extended to another competitor.

One note is that they sent the email to an address I gave them when I inquired about the contest. Not the email address we used to enter the Lenexa contest that made us eligible.

Anyone know where in Vegas this contest is at? Any money guarantees? Im not sure this is safe to pay for and enter at this point.

Balls Casten
07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
False alarm ... The email was an automated mail while they were testing their system.
New emails due out tomorrow .. Friday.

dreed
07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Congrats on your win.\

We're in! :becky: Rhana and I qualified with our GC in Aloha yesterday...we're looking forward to the event! BTW...it's under KCBS rules...bottom of the page. See ya there!
JD
http://www.worldfoodchampionships.com/barbecue

As for the official rules and sanctioning process, the WFC will be using the "competitor series" process developed by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. This will provide a judging process that is both blind and fair, so that all teams are guaranteed a level playing field. However, the WFC has not yet announced the meats that competitors will be required to cook in the contest. Official rules, meats, turn in times and processes will be announced on June 29, 2012.

Diva
07-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Just recieved an email telling me we only had 3 days left to register for the contest or our inventation would be extended to another competitor.

One note is that they sent the email to an address I gave them when I inquired about the contest. Not the email address we used to enter the Lenexa contest that made us eligible.

Anyone know where in Vegas this contest is at? Any money guarantees? Im not sure this is safe to pay for and enter at this point.

Congratulations on your win!

Balls Casten
07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Obviously, I'm curious as to whether or not you're going to go or pass it down (even though we came in 3rd, you never know)..... Congratulations on your win!

Thx means a lot coming from you.

We will go if we get some info, just kind of hit me the wrong way yesterday. We had absolutly no information on the contest and I get a blind email that I only have three days to make payment.

JD McGee
07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Does anyone else find it odd that this "invitational" event is charging an entrance fee?

Balls Casten
07-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Everything about this has been odd. :)

They invite CASI (chili) folks and its on the same day as their championship.

didisea
07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Everything about this has been odd. :)

They invite CASI (chili) folks and its on the same day as their championship.

True - but I will stick my oar in and say that given a choice between remote SW Texas and $0 purse vs. Las Vegas and a $25,000 purse I know which one I'd choose. The thing I would have a beef with is the fact that there were no Chili contests north of California that qualified. Pretty much the same way the PNW got hosed on the Sams Club qualifiers.

Smoke'n Ice
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Remote SW Texas is a good three day drunk in the the desert and a blast. Been there, done that (qualified from Seattle, me, my wife and my daughter, all three of us), don't need to go back. Just saying!!

JD McGee
07-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Interesting...:becky:

The World Barbecue Championship will take place on November 2 and 3.

The competition categories will feature:
- Pork Shoulder
- Sauce
- Pork Ribs
- Beef Brisket

The World Food Championships will use a customized blind-judging system, which will include certified BBQ judges along with food celebrities, based on the Competitor Series that uses KCBS scoring in Appearance, Taste & Tenderness. The winner of the World Barbecue Championship will have the best cumulative score across all four categories.

Turn-in times will be:

FRIDAY: Pork Shoulder 4 p.m., Sauce 4:30 p.m.

SATURDAY: Pork Ribs 4 p.m., Beef Brisket 4:30 p.m.

Performance in all four categories will count toward a team’s overall score. Grand Champion awards and category winners will be announced Saturday at 7:00 p.m. as we kick off the Bourbon and BBQ VIP party.

Rules for the WFC are subject to change, but all decisions made by the WFC competition committee are final.
If you would like to receive updates about additional World Food Championships information, please contact us (http://worldfoodchampionships.com/contact).

Tarheel
07-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Got my email this morning with the invite for winning Shelby last year. It is on the same weekend as Shelby this year. It is listed on the KCBS website with reps assigned as well. Wasn't much info in the email about exactly where it will be nor on the website. Not sure about this one. Gives you 10 days to accept or not. The cost to get out there from the East Coast is huge. Shelby is also one of the stops for the Smithfield Rib Challenge this year too.

Rick Hamilton
07-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Congratulations Roy. So I wonder if the invites are to last years winners or this years. I thought I qualified with te Hammond, LA win this year but I have seem no email from them.

Balls Casten
07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Contest will be at Bally's on the strip.
http://worldfoodchampionships.com/news/25

pat
07-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Did you get us a room yet? :tongue:

Balls Casten
07-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Congratulations Roy. So I wonder if the invites are to last years winners or this years. I thought I qualified with te Hammond, LA win this year but I have seem no email from them.

Send them your information Rick.
http://worldfoodchampionships.com/competitors

Balls Casten
09-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Traded e-mails with them over ticket prices and guests stopping by the cooksites.

"At this time, we believe there will be no admission charge to the BBQ/Chili arenas"

Aslo ...
"The competitor packets have a digital release date set for September 15"

JD McGee
09-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Who's coming? These folks are...so far! :thumb:
http://www.worldfoodchampionships.com/whos-coming

Payouts and Judging...

WFC Announces Payouts & Judging Processes
The World Food Championships announced today information regarding the payouts and judging processes that will be used this year at the inaugural World Food Championships.
World Barbecue Championship
The World Barbecue Championship will be judged by 100 WFC judges including both certified judges and distinguished food professionals. Categories being judged are Pork Shoulder & Butt and Sauce on Friday, and Pork Ribs (http://www.worldfoodchampionships.com/news/53#) and Beef Brisket on Saturday.
Competitors will be allotted a 40 foot by 20 foot space in which to compete. 20 AMPs of power and water will be provided to the competitors.
All other category competitions will be judged using the WFC’s own proprietary EAT™ Scoring Method. Each competitor’s entries will be evaluated in and across all categories based on Execution, Appearance and Taste. Scores for all categories will be a mixture of both trained or certified judges, food professionals and master judges. Scores will be weighted within the EAT methodology and blind (http://www.worldfoodchampionships.com/news/53#) judging will be used for all categories, except World Chef Challenge.
In each competition execution and appearance will have specific criteria with which they are judged. Specific detail at the category level of EAT™ methodology will be released very soon, including presentation guidelines and specific category turn-in and judging processes including size of turn-in platter, garnish rules and regulations.
“We are very excited to introduce the EAT methodology, which will standardize scoring systems across multiple food genres and competitions and will provide an equal basis within the category championships,” said Mike McCloud, President/CEO of Trybe Targeting.
Prize Purses for Each Category are as Follows:
WFC Final Table - $75,000
Grand Champion - $50,000
Second Place - $10,000
Third Place - $5,000
Fourth – Seventh - $2,500
World Barbecue Championship - $50,000
Grand Champion - $10,000
Reserve Grand - $7,500
3rd Overall - $5,000
4th Overall - $3,000
5th Overall - $2,500
6th Overall - $2,000
7th Overall - $1,500
8th Overall - $1,300
9th Overall - $1,200
10th Overall - $1000

Each Category
1st in each category - $1,500
2nd in each category - $750
3rd in each category - $500
4th in each category - $500
5th in each category - $500

World Open Chili Championship - $25,000
Overall:
Grand Champion - $10,000
2nd $5,000
3rd $1,500
4th $1,000
5th $750
Each Category
WFC Competition Chili:
1st $1,000
2nd $750
3rd $500
WFC Freestyle Chili:
1st $1,000
2nd $750
3rd $500
WFC Freestyle Chili - People's Choice:
1st $1,000
2nd $750
3rd $500

Recipe, Sandwich, Burger and Side Dish – $25,000 each
Grand Champion - $10,000
Reserve Grand - $4,000
Third Place - $3,000
Fourth Place - $2,000
Fifth thru Tenth - $1,000 each

World Chef Challenge - $50,000
Payout Rounds – Chefs who advance to each round will receive the following payout per round:

Round of 16 - $1,000 each
Final 4 - $5,000 each
Runner Up - $4,000
Champion - $10,000

sfisch
09-16-2012, 10:30 AM
We are putting the final touches on shipping our equipment out there, hopefully team Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced will be flying in from Michigan on that Wednesday.

BBQBeaver
09-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Has anyone received their competitor info packet yet? Any details you could share?

Bigmista
09-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I thought this was October. It's in November. Rats.

Balls Casten
09-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Packets available on line.
https://worldfoodchampionships.com/files/wfc_competitiorpacket_barbecue.pdf

$210 for 20amp electric!
and if you want 24hr service ... call for quote.
:roll: :mmph:

JD McGee
09-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Looks like a lot of "wild card" teams got their invitations today...plus the prize money increased to 300,000...it's gonna be a monster!

big matt
09-21-2012, 01:15 PM

$210 for 20amp electric!
:roll: :mmph:Doug,on the lefthand side of page 8 it states 20 amp is provided the additional charge might be for vendors..I have a number for Gail who is in charge..PM me if you would like it she was very nice when we talked and will answer any questions you have.

JD McGee
09-21-2012, 01:19 PM

$210 for 20amp electric!
:roll: :mmph:

Ouch!

BBQBeaver
09-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Looks like a lot of "wild card" teams got their invitations today...plus the prize money increased to 300,000...it's gonna be a monster!

Yes, we got our wild card invite email Friday night.
I am still trying to figure out all of the logisitics and how we are going to make it happen though (coming in from Niagara Falls, Canada).

Someone please save me a piece of parsley to use!! :grin:

I beleive the $300,000 prize money is combined for all 7 contests, $50,000 for the BBQ contest.

Mexi "Q" Tioner
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Congrats and a shout out to Ryan Pang of Bad "S" BBQ making that list. I had the honor of being right next to him this past weekend at our 1st BBQ Competition in Mariposa, CA and what a great guy. Very helpful and shared whatever info he had with us, well not "everything" :wink: but he answered the questions we did have. We had a blast and have gotten bit by the bbq bug big time! We will back there again next year.

Iamarealbigdog
09-25-2012, 07:38 AM
The Black Pig BBQ is in, we just have to figure how we deal with the 42 hr drive and hudge fuel costs to move the equipment down.

Good luck all

Mike

Basted moral support guy
09-25-2012, 02:51 PM
The Black Pig BBQ is in, we just have to figure how we deal with the 42 hr drive and hudge fuel costs to move the equipment down.

Good luck all

Mike

Wowzers. That's a hell of a travel. Good luck!

BBQBeaver
09-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Teams who are going ... You WILL want to be in Las Vegas Halloween night !! (enough said)

INmitch
09-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Teams who are going ... You WILL want to be in Las Vegas Halloween night !! (enough said)

That didn't even cross my mind. This ought to......um.....be interesting.:icon_shy

sfisch
09-26-2012, 10:56 AM

We fly out of Detroit that morning, arrive just after noon L.V. time. Was wondering what it will be like that night!

Jorge
09-26-2012, 11:04 AM
We fly out of Detroit that morning, arrive just after noon L.V. time. Was wondering what it will be like that night!

Probably a lot safer than Detroit:wink:

JD McGee
09-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Lol...no doubt! Free freak show...:becky:

sfisch
09-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Probably a lot safer than Detroit:wink:

Thats why we leave during daylight hrs!!

Cast Iron Chef
09-26-2012, 03:56 PM

Here's one party they have every year (NSF). Just saying.

www.halloweenball.com/

route66
09-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Interesting...:becky:

The World Barbecue Championship will take place on November 2 and 3.

The competition categories will feature:
- Pork Shoulder
- Sauce
- Pork Ribs
- Beef Brisket

The World Food Championships will use a customized blind-judging system, which will include certified BBQ judges along with food celebrities, based on the Competitor Series that uses KCBS scoring in Appearance, Taste & Tenderness. The winner of the World Barbecue Championship will have the best cumulative score across all four categories.

Turn-in times will be:

FRIDAY: Pork Shoulder 4 p.m., Sauce 4:30 p.m.

SATURDAY: Pork Ribs 4 p.m., Beef Brisket 4:30 p.m.

Performance in all four categories will count toward a team’s overall score. Grand Champion awards and category winners will be announced Saturday at 7:00 p.m. as we kick off the Bourbon and BBQ VIP party.

Rules for the WFC are subject to change, but all decisions made by the WFC competition committee are final.
If you would like to receive updates about additional World Food Championships information, please contact us (http://worldfoodchampionships.com/contact).

Thank God, No Chicken!

Balls Casten
09-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Damn ... No chicken. :doh:

Golden Toad BBQ
10-14-2012, 07:40 AM
No Chicken!!! :thumb:

Toad