PDA

View Full Version : Next Stop - Ribfest - Highland NY State Ch.

BBQchef33
08-15-2005, 11:30 PM
this weekend.. 2 hour drive....

Smoke.. Xczar.. gimme a call !!!

think i should clean the grates? 8)

chad
08-16-2005, 06:34 AM
I'll loan you my brush burner - it'll burn off the gunk and preheat the chamber at the same time! :D

Have a great weekend.

Trout_man22
08-16-2005, 06:42 AM
Good luck

The_Kapn
08-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Good luck Phil.

TIM

icemn62
08-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Go get em, and show them the meaning of "Fear the pig!" Good Luck

rbsnwngs
08-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Phil
Guess i'll see you up there

tommykendall
08-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Best of luck Phil

spicewine
08-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Good Luck Brother!!! Do you feel the MOFO MOJO headed your way?

MrSmoker
08-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Good Luck "Brothers in Smoke" kick some Butt.

jt
08-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Good Luck, Poobah!

qman
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Best of luck, brother Phil

Mords
08-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Best of luck to all of you guys going!!!!! Wishin i was there..Hopefully the next NY comp ill be able to attend...take care

Solidkick
08-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Go get 'em bro! Time for your GC!

Mel
08-17-2005, 10:51 PM
You can do it- teach them ole boys to FEAR THE PIG..

MEL.

beerguy
08-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Good luck Phil!

BBQchef33
08-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Wow....

After 6 events, it just gets easier to prep now. the trailer is still loaded form the last time out. Its the night before and I have most of the food and meat, just have to make a costco run for paper and liquid goods. Where i used to take a week off to prepare, now i take a day. Got a 3 hour drive tomorrow night and a hotel suite waiting so i can get a good night sleep before 2 days of torture. Dropping the trailer off at the fairgrounds and heading back to the hotel.... then onsite at 6am.

3 man team this time out... Me, brooklynQ and Smoker. Xczar is still up in the air.. so may have 4 again.

24 hours and counting. .... i'm feelin the MoFo mojo.... !! Keep it coming.

Bill-Chicago
08-18-2005, 09:49 PM

Sending some bILFo your way

frognot
08-19-2005, 06:53 AM

Sending some bILFo your way

Add in a dash of LoneStarFo.

FEAR THE PIG!

Arlin_MacRae
08-19-2005, 06:57 AM
A li'l OKFOMOJO headed east, Poobah. GOOD LUCK!

Dexgx01
08-19-2005, 09:21 AM
GOOD LUCK poohbah and u2 will the thrill

rbinms33
08-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Go get 'em, Poobah! Take a bunch of pics for us.

rookiedad
08-20-2005, 12:19 AM
good luck guys. have a good time!
phil

Neil
08-20-2005, 06:29 AM
Hope it's not too late to add a little MIFO mojo to the mix. Good luck Phil, Rob, and Smoker.

parrothead
08-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Good luck guys. Go and get'em. It's time for a GC for Phil and the gang.

Jorge
08-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Phil scored a 2nd in sausage! Not a bad way to get into the flow for tomorrow.

Bill-Chicago
08-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Phil scored a 2nd in sausage! Not a bad way to get into the flow for tomorrow.

Second in Sausage on a "medium" sage fatty!!

Brethren Will, RBSNWNGS got first place!!!

Brethren doing good in the optionals, now focusing on the "real" events. Phil was skinning the ribs and preparing the rub an hour ago

Solidkick
08-21-2005, 09:04 AM
any more results, anyone?

Bill-Chicago
08-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Yesterday was the optionals

Today is the real deal.

about 3 houtrs to first turn in

Solidkick
08-21-2005, 09:23 AM

Yesterday was the optionals

Today is the real deal.

about 3 hours to first turn in

Thanks....Jorge reminded me in a PM.....I forget they do Sat/Sun competitions up in the northeast.....

BBQchef33
08-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Well Ladies.. Crashed and burned. :oops: Congrats to WillyB(RIBSNWNGS) who fared much bettered than we did with a 1st and 2nd(or 3rd) in 2 catagories..and fifth overall,.....(but of course I cooked his brisket, he will explain that.... 8) )

Best we did was 4th in brisket and 11the overall out of a field of 30. Second in Sausage in the "open" event on Saturday and that was with a hot & spice fatty doctored up with my brisket marinade and rub. We also forgot to go to the awards thingy, so they delivered our check and trophy. :roll: I think we were top half in all the others, but not anything to brag about. They paid $$ for 5th and down so we still got a $$ payout and took a walk.

Honestly, I had a gut feeling we were gonna tank when WE like everything we made. With me, when I hate the stuff, it scores well.
:? I thought the chicken was excellent, the ribs were Very good(competition quality!). Brisket was my normal turnout which is usually top 3 and pork came out perfect..

Seems the "judges" disagreed. We were really shocked at how some of the stuff rated.... and left scratchin gour heads. This time, we got back review sheets filled out by the Judges explaining their scores.. and some of the scores just made no sense( 645 and 899 on pork for example) and on the scorecard it said nice teryaki flavor.... well thats good, but there was NO teryaki in it.. :? Later on we found out that there were only 4 out of 29 KCBS certified judges, the rest were locals. This explained why my "competition quality" ribs came back with comments such as tough and undercooked on the judges scorecard. Babybacks that cook for 4-5 hours are not undercooked,!! and these pulled clean but only where you bite. I had a couple last night when we got home and said it again, "there are farkin perfect".

Scoring was really all over the board and when you have guys like Jack McDavid come in 23 in ribs, Or Dirty Dick come in 22 in pork you know something is up. In this event we were cooking for the locals, not judges, so the food should have been cooked to "backyard" quality, not competition. We noticed on the day we arrived, and event commented that there was a VERY large population of somewhat dentally challenged(no/missing teef) beings floating around.... so of course they would prefer soft, fall off the bone ribs... not the ribs that we cook for a KCBS judge. :twisted: But bottom line.. .the judges didnt like our stuff this time around.. As i always said, any one can win on any given day.. and the same hold true the other way around, any one can loose.. Its all up to 6 peopl elikeing or hating your stuff. So turn it in and cross your fingers.

On the up-side. We are definatley getting our timing down. Everything(cept briskets) went in on schedule, came out on schedule(including briksets), prep time and turnin time was relaxed, and the food was quality stuff. I have to work on my ribs prep a little to get the final glazing times synced up better so Rob doesnt have to rush. I also know a bunch of stuff that i can leave home too thats going to lighten the load a little. It was by no means a wash, I left with a a better concept of the cadence of competing, and to me, that is worth alot. We are getting to the point where we flow thru the 3 hours from 11-2 hours instead of tripping and stumbling thru that time.

WillyB has it to a science.

Start drinkin at 8AM Saturday, Pass out early saturday night and then start drinkin again right after you wake up. It worked for him... He took 2 walks to the podium with high scores.!! Congratulations again!

We were gonna fark with him saturday night while he was cuttin z's. . We had an extra smokey mountain that wasnt lit yet. Willy had his brisket going in his. We were going to go over and take his smokey mountain and replace it with a cold and empty one. Have him wake up to a cold/empty WSM and tell him he gave the brisket out to the park help before he weent to sleep... or even better, replace it with a WSM with an ice cold brisket in it and a bunch of unlit charcoal. Let him think he forgot to light it.

Jerry, our KCBS rep had Willy convinced he got DQ'ed in the open becase he was drinking in public.. and his camp was messy and he was wearing the wrong colored shirt.... :shock: Seem severyone was messin with Will...... I told him it was in retaliation for telling me the wrong turnin times for the porkchop, which i had ready just in time for Beef turn-in. :? Either way, he took first in the steak and sausage, but didnt know it for an hour or so while he wandered around all pissed for being DQ'ed.. PSYCH!!!!

We had a good time.. I am more sore than usual or some reason. heat yesterday afternon was brutal, maybe that did me in.

Anyway, we still walked with 2 trophies and a couple hundred bucks.

Just not in the top 4 standings where we're accoustomed to being but more importantly we walked away better than when we got there. . As a team we are working together better, our timing has improved tremendously, each of us knows what we have to do when. Rob wasn't yelling nearly as much fo rme to get tothe food to him so he can build the turnin boxes. Steve(smoker) has jumped right in and has become an integral part. Many thanks to him for all his help and perserverance.. and puttin up with my bullsh*t! during turn-in.. hes like a second pair of arms to me and he just dont quit... !! Thanks so much and hope ya stick with us.

So we lick out 11th place wounds and move on to the next.

its all RBSNWINGS fault for throwin off my timing. :mrgreen:

chad
08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
It's sad that a "state championship" isn't really setup with judges - there's too much riding on the standings.

Congrats on pulling out a couple of walks! :D

icemn62
08-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Congrats still seem in ordere. seems from your report tht your competition cooking is right dead center on. It is a shame that you "train" for one type of cooking breaking all the bad habits you picked up in the backyard. To be done in for a contest, for not cooking the way you do for the backyard folks. Still got to something most people never will and you walked the stage for cash and trophies. All in All seems you had a good time, and worked on the team chemistry.

Trout_man22
08-22-2005, 11:57 AM
I would think that a feeder contest would be required to have enought certified judges to make it at least a quorum.

chad
08-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I would think that a feeder contest would be required to have enought certified judges to make it at least a quorum.

In my opinion: a state championship should have (must is strong but what I actually mean) have 100% certified judges. I don't care if they just completed CBJ class but they should be certified!

This looks like grounds for losing their sanctioned contest status.

The_Kapn
08-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Phil,

All that I can add is the old saying:
"That which does not kill you just makes you stronger".

Always the next event to get revenge.

The pork chop caper was a hoot though :lol:
Sorry bout that deal.

TIM

BrooklynQ
08-22-2005, 01:23 PM

In my opinion: a state championship should have (must is strong but what I actually mean) have 100% certified judges. I don't care if they just completed CBJ class but they should be certified!

This looks like grounds for losing their sanctioned contest status.

I don't think that's possible yet in the North East. There's simply not enough judges to go around. The Mass state championship was held the same weekend as Highland.

I think that the organizer should have asked the cooking teams if they could spare some people to judge. While we were running slim, a couple of the other teams had more than enough to spare.

And unfortunately Phil and I contributed to the problem. Both of us had agreed to judge before we decieded to cook.

chad
08-22-2005, 01:32 PM
There's simply not enough judges to go around.

Then it shouldn't be a KCBS state championship. Judging is so darned subjective anyway that to throw clueless, but well meaning, judges into the mix is almost criminal. As most of us know, there is a LOT riding on these state championship cook offs and the "billing" as a state chamionship should mean a certain level of professionalism and fair play. I can't see any viable reason to run a championship cook off with less than 25% certified judges.

I've never seen "review sheets" at an event - is this something new in KCBS or just something local to try and "explain" the screwed up scoring?

BrooklynQ
08-22-2005, 01:43 PM
There's simply not enough judges to go around.

Then it shouldn't be a KCBS state championship. Judging is so darned subjective anyway that to throw clueless, but well meaning, judges into the mix is almost criminal. As most of us know, there is a LOT riding on these state championship cook offs and the "billing" as a state chamionship should mean a certain level of professionalism and fair play. I can't see any viable reason to run a championship cook off with less than 25% certified judges.

I've never seen "review sheets" at an event - is this something new in KCBS or just something local to try and "explain" the screwed up scoring?

Unfortunately, that would mean there wouldn't be many state championships in the North East. (Do I hear cheers from my southern neighbors?) One good thing Dean from Grill Kings did was to setup some cert classes prior to his contest on Long Island, but even there the percnetage of cert judges was very low.

The review sheets, as I understand it, are coming out of NEBS - the New England BBQ society as a test program for KCBS. They were interesting, but not very helpful. The judges comments reflect the diversity of their scores. So while you may now know that you got a 4 in taste because it was too sweet for that judge, you also now know that the other judge who gave you a 9 found it just sweet enough!

However, Teriakyi flavor rules! (Ask Phil)

BBQchef33
08-22-2005, 01:46 PM
yes, the review sheet is new to KCBS. I saw it at the judging class back in March. they are somewhat helpful.. They are small cardds labled "judges comments" they contain

Team number and catagory.

then for wach catagory, you will have 6 cards. Each one contains a box to put the score for each rating and a small space for a short comment. So u will see something like:

team: 165 Catagory: pork

Appearance 8: Nice color

Taste: 8 Good pork Flavor

Tenderness 8 : tender, maybe a little dry.

Its up to the judges if they want to submit a comment and if they want to include everything. On some of my cards, i had the comment, but no rating, on others, just one factor was commented on.

if anything, they are just a touch of insigt into the judges tent.. It may help explain the 6 in chicken when u have all 8-9's form other judges, but they also make ya wonder WTF :? when the comment says "nice teryaki" when there is none.. or "tough" when they tasted and felt like butter when sliced them up in the pit.

Trout_man22
08-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Was there a call put out to ask for help? I may have gone up, not saying I would have but if the KCBS would have been asked and they would have put a request on the web page who knows. Or is that a pipe dream and am I just full of hot air? And were they afraid of making the waves before the contest.

chad
08-22-2005, 01:54 PM
If the northeast can't provide the infrastructure to run a balanced contest - then maybe there's not enough interest to run a state championship.

NEBS does a great job in a tough area but maybe they need to think about consolidated championships instead of train wrecks with non-certified judges.

We haven't seen the cards at Mobile or Dillard. I've often thought I'd like to know WHY a score was wack but if all the judges don't use them and the comments are one word or "I didn't like..." then they'll be of limited use for knowing what "went wrong". Heck, if it went right I don't care what the judges think!! :D Feedback from inexperienced and especially uncertified judges is definately of limited usefulness.

These are just my opinions - I'd love to compete "up north" but there's just too darned many miles between here and there! :D

BrooklynQ
08-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Was there a call put out to ask for help?

I don't know about putting out a call, but Mike Flick was at Grill Kings on Long Island (three weeks earlier) looking for cooks and judges.

chad
08-22-2005, 02:51 PM
RE: Teriyaki flavor.

Did you guys, by any chance, use Dale's on the outside of the pork? Similar to teriyaki on brisket - the soy sauce flavor of the Dale's may have matched up with the brown sugar to give an oriental flavor to the meat.

Just a thought.

BBQchef33
08-22-2005, 03:13 PM
nope. no dales, no soy sauce..

cherry juice..... and other stuff... but nothing even closwe to teryaki.

chad
08-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Just asking! :D

However, if you had just the one comment on that flavor it could be the judge has never tasted que with bark - it's amazing when people first taste a bite of camelized pork - a true epiphany! :D

BrooklynQ
08-22-2005, 03:37 PM
However, if you had just the one comment on that flavor it could be the judge has never tasted que with bark - it's amazing when people first taste a bite of camelized pork - a true epiphany! :D

They didn't get any bark in that entry! :(

chad
08-22-2005, 04:09 PM
They didn't get any bark in that entry!

****-fire man, who prepped a pork box with no bark? :twisted:

I'm KIDDING - I understand the frustration of box prep! :D Tim and I get into "discussions" during box prep! :D

Well, I guess that takes care of my line of reasoning! :D

BrooklynQ
08-22-2005, 04:11 PM
They didn't get any bark in that entry!

sh*t-fire man, who prepped a pork box with no bark? :twisted:

If you tasted the bark, you'd understand. :oops: :( :( :(

chad
08-22-2005, 04:18 PM
If you tasted the bark, you'd understand.

A subtle "teriyaki" flavor, maybe! :D

We've been puzzled by our pork entry scores all year - rarely to we have issues with flavor but appearance scores and tenderness (?) has had us perplexed.

As always, you have to turn in what you've got! And even with your best effort it's a crapshoot.

icemn62
08-22-2005, 04:20 PM
I think it may just be a case of someone making a comment about a taste they have never experienced before. I sometimes will ask three or four members of the family to describe to me what they taste. This is usually done to the ones who were not around watching me prper the food for the smoker. I have one daughter who is very good at tasting all the spices in my rubs when she wants.

chad
08-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I have one daughter who is very good at tasting all the spices in my rubs when she wants.

Females (unless they smoke) usually pick up on the flavors better than men.

Lee McWright (Music City Pig Pals) lets his wife, Bobbie, do the taste testing when selecting which meat to turn-in.

My wife isn't subtle when critiquing my entries - she often won't go into details but she definately lets me know which she prefers. Unfortunately it's often "this isn't as good as what you usually cook" or something like that!! :D

BBQchef33
08-22-2005, 05:26 PM
sh*t-fire man, who prepped a pork box with no bark?

The butts were 8lbs each. The entire top half was covered with fat which produced no edible bark. There was also a good fat layer around the botton, so the only part that i had got some park on was where they remoed the bone, and even at that, the pieces were a little to dry and we didnt want to risk what we considered some great pulled pork being penalized by some dry bark. Wasnt worth the risk.

Going thru the judges comment cards.. all comments said very juicy, very tender, very moist, cooked perfect, not enough smoke and very dry. So with a range like that.. go figure.

icemn62
08-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Interesting range of comments. You sure they were talking about meat from just 1 box?

BBQchef33
08-22-2005, 05:58 PM
yup, one box.

That pork was anything but dry. I can see the not enuf smoke if the guy took a center piece or something, but like Chad says, those comment sheets are of littel use beyond some surface insight into the scores.

Solidkick
08-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Congrats on your cook Poopie........I'd have called you on your cell phone to offer encouragement, but only your "real" friends have that honor......... :twisted:

BrooklynQ
08-22-2005, 07:57 PM
I'd have called you on your cell phone to offer encouragement, but only your "real" friends have that honor......... :twisted:

Why bother? He doesn't answer it anyway. Hmm maybe caller id has something to do with it?

Jeff_in_KC
08-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Congrats, PooBah... Yeah, lower than you expected but it sounds like you were fighing a bad situation before you even lit a fire with those judges!

Smoker
08-22-2005, 10:04 PM
I just walked past the fridge and pulled out 3 ribs from yesterdays competition at Ribfest. I ate them cold and all I can say is they are the best ribs I ever ate. Rob, I believe they were the sweet ones we made. I hope you remember what we put on them. The judges may not have liked them but like Phil said, we really loved all the stuff that we made this weekend. It's a little saddening that the scores were not what we expected but after finding out the judges did not know what to look for it isn't that disheartening. Like Phil says "anyone can win on any given day."

Congrats to the winners.

Steve

parrothead
08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Why bother? He doesn't answer it anyway

Hmmmmm. seems to me like I tried to call you this morning with no answer brother Rob. People in glass houses......

rbsnwngs
08-23-2005, 07:47 AM
just to clarify on what Phil had said in an earlier post about my drinking. Yes i did start early sat but 8:00am come on it was 8:21. This is what led me to not being able to drink on Sunday. We actully left with beer which was not part of the plan. I have disgraced myself in the eyes of other drunks, I am truly sorry for the way i behaved

timzcardz
08-31-2005, 05:21 AM
I, and my family, while vacationing about 20 minutes from the Rib Fest, stopped by to see our buddy Will. Also met and spoke with Phil, who was a pleasure to chat with. Will was genuinely upset about the miscommunication.

That shouldn't matter though. While I was there I took some photos, and just uploaded them to an album here for your viewing and reading pleasure. So let's all have a little more fun at Will's expense.

HIGHLAND RIB FEST 2005 - NY (The Saga of the Missing Pork Chop Turn-In)
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album55&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Oh, and Phil, we gave Will a couple of trays of brownies. I hope he offered you some.

rbsnwngs
08-31-2005, 08:54 AM
thanks tim
thought i couldnt feel any worse about this whole pork chop thing then you go and post pics of me. Dam i'm fat

BBQchef33
08-31-2005, 09:37 AM
brownies?? i didnt see ANY brownies.

he did offer me his wristwatch though. But it was an hour off, so I declined.

zzzzzing. 8)

BBQchef33
08-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Caption from one of Tims photos:

"Will preps his turn-in. Why though, would Phil ask Will about turn-in times, when Will doesn't even have a watch on!?"

Now THATS funny!!!

cause I did.... not that it helped any.

timzcardz
08-31-2005, 09:45 AM
HEY WILL!

What time is the Brownie Turn-in? ... Uh-Huh. .... It was when? ... I see.

Phil, Will says they were with your Pork Chop Turn-in.

BrooklynQ
08-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Brownies? I didn't see any brownies either.

Solidkick
08-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Loved the saga! Thanks for sharing....the captions are wonderful........

(taking up a collection to buy Will a watch)

rbsnwngs
08-31-2005, 05:26 PM
what browines i didnt see any brownies.
you didnt give them to barfly did u

rbsnwngs
08-31-2005, 05:28 PM
wait i just looked at those pics again and if you look closly I think the browines are under my 3rd chin.

Smoker
08-31-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that missed the brownies.

BrooklynQ
08-31-2005, 09:36 PM
but what were in those brownies I'd like to know? They must have been the reason Will still had beer left when he went home.